What do you guys do about noisy neighbours? (NRR)

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Ok, so we live in a unit and there's a block of units near ours (separated by a small empty block at the moment) and there is contantly someone making noise from that block at night. When I say constantly, maybe 2-3 nights a week it gets untennable. We called the police last night because it was just really obtrusive and just gratuitous yelling, but that didn't seem to really do much. Any suggestions fellow unit dwellers?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I have been listening to Metallica for the past 2 hours... and my stereo has been off the whole time.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Talk to them. Talking to neighbors is a really good thing.

So I have new neighbors who were constantly working on their unmuffled motorcycles. Let it go for a few weeks, but last week I was falling asleep while they were revving right out side my bedroom window. I was exhusted and half out and then it wouldn't stop and I couldn't sleep. I started having fantasys about getting the kitchen knife and running them through. Real Sabadaba tybe stuff. So I get out of bed, get the dog and walk over there in my pjs and slippers.

They are in a flag lot behind the next door house. I walk down the driveway into the carport.

"what's wrong with it?"
    They look at me like I'm some crazy person, "caborator".
    "It's really loud."
    "I know, this carport is like an echo chamber."
    "I know, my bedroom is right there" I say pointing.
    They just turn their backs on me, say nothing.

It's been over a week and I have not heard one sound from them since. I'm thinking I really ought to take them a quart of ice cream or something as a thank you.

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    I've been living in a complex for the last year and, even though it shouldn't resort to this, I always keep a pair of ear plugs by my bed. When my drunk ass neighbours decide to smash plates on the street at 3 am, I just reach over and grab them. I've never had to call the cops cause things have never been too bad, but I would think (or at least hope) that calling the cops would make a difference.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I have been listening to Metallica for the past 2 hours... and my stereo has been off the whole time.

I blew the dust off of 'the black album' this past week. And Im sorry, that LP really sucks.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Talk to em. I had a "situation" recently. Gotta let em know and be like let's respect each others shit, we gotta be respectful of each other. Shit like that even though you didn't do jack. Don't let em know you called the cops either, perhaps get some other annoyed neighbors involved.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    yeah... I would go and drop in but the unit is kinda out of direct access on an evening. To be honest, the noise also doesn't make these particular people sound like they would be very receptive to a noise complaint coming froma neighbour. their place is also on the 4th floor and I'm not really sure i could even work out what number their unit is!

Last night the ear plug thing actually occured to me. I might have to try that.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    How about go knock on their door and ask them to keep it down? Anything other than calling the cops, unless you feel threatened deal with the problems on your block by yourself. Cops with an axe to grind can be pretty fucked up towards noise violations, in Santa Cruz the fines for noise violations can escalate to over $1000 if it's a second or third offense

The only negatives about earplugs are:

1) They fall out while asleep
    2) You probably won't hear a phone or alarm clock if you have them in.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This is not in my complex (thank god), but we were visiting a friend last month who'd just moved into a new building... we're all sitting around and some neighbor dude starts shredding on his guitar REAL LOUD. Like I'm in guitar center trying out a stack of marshalls loud... and the guy sucks too. I am like "Jesus what the fuck does he do this often?" She (our friend) is like "ohhh yeah". So we go to leave and as soon as you go out the front door it's like louder. Dude has his windows open and his shitty soloing is just everywhere... ringing through the complex. It was ridiculous. The fucking topper though is that when we come back from lunch to drop her off solo dude is in the parking lot with his guitar strapped to him talking to his buddy. They both look like they are in their 40's too. Anyhow, as I get closer to them I see guitar shredder guy jamming at his friend's car, but I still hear it coming from his apartment. I finally realize he has the full wireless shit hooked up so he can stroll out in the parking lot without interrupting the jams. Amazing.

Hopefully this technology is still a secret, because I haven't really heard much about it. Sounds like dangerous armaments for lame buttmetal shredders.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Hopefully this technology is still a secret, because I haven't really heard much about it. Sounds like dangerous armaments for lame buttmetal shredders.

Ain't that the truth.

Living in units is a bit funny really. I've only been there for a little while. I mena, I play my raers at reasonable volume, but I'm pretty sure that it's not disturbing anyone, and it certainly ain't reaching to other blocks!

But yeah, i do appreciate the "try to work it out neighbour-to-neighbour" suggestion but please appreciate that in the south west of Sydney in the last few months there have been several incidents where neighbours coming out of their homes at night to ask a drunk person to keep it down has resulted in their death - in one case last month a guy was stabbed in the head and died later.

Evidently so.

I am not about to be stabbed for asking rude people to keep it down.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Def try to sort out the problem yourself before calling the cops. In my experience most of the time an agreement can be made. Most of the time people are unaware that they are being a problem and will do the right thing. But if they turn out to be douches then call the cops.
    On of my upstairs nieghbours called the cops on me and my girl for playing reagge too loud on a sat afternnon. I mean it was fuckin miday and i had no choice to turn it down or get fined $200. Guess he wasn't feelin the vibes. It ended up with me havin to restrain my girl from trying to beat the fuck outta this guy.
    Noise laws differ in sydney according to each council but if you feel other peoples noise is obtrusive then you have the right to make a complaint.