UFC 74

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I only saw the two main fights...GSP is back. Taking a less experienced Koschek.Courture is such a beast. Bad break for Gonzaga with the early broken nose. But yea, Courture is such a badass, he pushed the action. Age 44, unbelievable. What's next? A title fight with Fedor on NYE?Wanderlei is the newest acquisition for UFC. This seems like the final confirmation that the UFC is only interested in plucking the best fighters out of Pride, and letting the organization completely die out. I am truly depressed about this. Matter of fact, I was just thinking about this yesterday. If Zuffa is interested in making MMA a major worldwide sport, then wouldn't they have a significant interest in keeping Pride FC alive? But then again, it's a business. If the owners of UFC are making crazy money off a niche market, what incentives does it have to make it a major sport? My conclusion: They don't have much incentive, that's why they're making UFC the best product possible at the expense of a similar and supposedly debt-ridden organization.Ass-hurt? Yes. Guess, I will forever dwell in the memories, rock my Pride t-shirts, and watch former Pride fighters try to get the glory in the Octagon.

Comments

• BashirBashir 25 Posts
    Fedor says that there is a less than 1% chance of him signing with the UFC . So I'm guessing its Noguiera or Vera that's next for Randy. I think if Gonzaga didn't break his nose though, it would have been a different fight.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Fedor says that there is a less than 1% chance of him signing with the UFC . So I'm guessing its Noguiera or Vera that's next for Randy. I think if Gonzaga didn't break his nose though, it would have been a different fight.

Really? I've always like Noguiera but he's past his prime and I can already see Randy landing some punishing elbows. Pride fighters are having a hard time adjusting to the elbows....They're so unaccustomed to using or defending against them. Not an excuse, but to make it fair, they should allow knees and kicks on the ground.

As for Fedor, he's not as hungry as he once was. He has so much more to lose now than to gain. I think he should retire after like 2 more years.

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts

Really? I've always like Noguiera but he's past his prime and I can already see Randy landing some punishing elbows. Pride fighters are having a hard time adjusting to the elbows....They're so unaccustomed to using or defending against them. Not an excuse, but to make it fair, they should allow knees and kicks on the ground.

As for Fedor, he's not as hungry as he once was. He has so much more to lose now than to gain. I think he should retire after like 2 more years.

from what I can gather fedor seems content doing sambo. I really doubt he'll make it to the UFC.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2u6e4_main-event_sport

ol' dirty bennett vs. victor valenzuela

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

what a waste of talent.

from what I can gather fedor seems content doing sambo. I really doubt he'll make it to the UFC.

Thank you for that! DAMMNNNNnnnnn, those body shots. I love watching crazy horse bennett though, cuz he doesn't give a shit.

• I just watched it. GREAT NIGHT! Everyone I wanted to win did. Randy was great. Who knows what's next. Next month is a huge UFC month. Lots of good stuff.

I'm soooooo happy GSP won. I hate that other douchebag. I wish he got knocked out.

The previews for ultimate fighter looked nuts too.

The previews for ultimate fighter looked nuts too.

• I'm soooooo happy GSP won. I hate that other douchebag. I wish he got knocked out.
    Koschek comes off as an arrogant dick and though he may have beaten guys like Diego Sanchez he is a boring fighter who is keen to avoid really throwing down and just get by on his wrestling ability and winning points decisions.

Roger Huerta was pretty impressive but there are alot of awesome 155lb fighters for him to throwdown with. He showed pretty amazing conditioning and defense against a pretty highly ranked BJJ fighter

I am only half way through the tournament..I Better get back to it.. Thank god for torrent files..

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    i finally saw the sobral fight

• So I'm guessing its Noguiera or Vera that's next for Randy.

Vera will be a tough fight for anyone. He lives up to his nickname, for sure.

If CroCop can't walk through Sheick Kongo, he needs to take up badminton. I see him beating him, then maybe getting a title shot. I think Dana still wants to make good on his investment. Speaking of, what is in Heath Herring's future.

And after seeing GSP and Cote, win, it made me wonder if Loiseau has fallen off completely. That'd be a shame if he lost it, 'cause he was pretty spectacular.

what is in Heath Herring's future.

not much in my opinion. Herring peaked in 2000-2002. it's been a while.

• That right high kick Gonzaga threw in the 3rd scared the shit outta me, but Randy blocked it like it was nothing.

Then again, it was a pretty powerful kick.

Report: Couture breaks arm in UFC 74 win over Gonzaga[/b]

Gabriel Gonzaga???s nose was not the only thing that got broken during the heavyweight championship bout this weekend at UFC 74: ???Respect.???

Division titleholder Randy Couture sustained a ???nightstick fracture??? of his left forearm when blocking a ???Napao??? high kick, according to FightNetwork.com.

Here???s the snip:

?????? Randy Couture was informed Sunday by doctors that he???d broken his arm during his third round TKO stoppage of Gabriel Gonzaga. Couture sustained the injury Saturday blocking a Gonzaga right high kick with his left forearm, cleanly separating the ulna bone???. The injury placed the UFC heavyweight champion???s arm in a splint for six weeks. The appendage will not need a cast.???

Fortunately, the injury does not seem serious. Perhaps it is a blessing in disguise, providing the training and public relations workhorse with some much-need time off.

Here???s a snip from ???The Natural:???

???It???s not displaced, so the doctors think it will reattach in about a week and a half.???

damn. What a fight!

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    That right high kick Gonzaga threw in the 3rd scared the shit outta me, but Randy blocked it like it was nothing.

Reminded me of Mark Hunt shrugging off Cro-Cops head kicks.

Happy to see Frank Mir still kicking ass. Granted Hardonk isn't known for his Brasillian Jiu Jitsu skills, but as long as Mir is winning, I'm happy.

word? I never really met a Frank Mir "fan." dude seems cool; I like to see him still winning, too.