Dilla vs. Premier

Comments

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    like he was not a super technical producer. he had a certain style to finish his beats. he didn't really work with samples on a technical side like, for example, dj premier.

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

• like he was not a super technical producer. he had a certain style to finish his beats. he didn't really work with samples on a technical side like, for example, dj premier.

well, i have to admit that i don't know too much about producing.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    like he was not a super technical producer. he had a certain style to finish his beats. he didn't really work with samples on a technical side like, for example, dj premier.

Sorry but this statement makes no sense.

Dilla got crazy with his samples and the way he chopped and blended different melodies together... Maybe you haven't heard enough of his music to have heard things properly.

This is a very difficult comparison, but Primo definitely contributed to more tracks that really inspired and influenced me. I love Dilla's production as well...... it's better off not to compare them . just enjoy their music !

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    yikes.
    glad i dont have to choose.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Studio Ton

Studio Ton king of the casio. On the real Mike Mosely Sam Bostic>>>>>>>>>>>>> Studio Ton

• like he was not a super technical producer. he had a certain style to finish his beats. he didn't really work with samples on a technical side like, for example, dj premier.

Sorry but this statement makes no sense.

Dilla got crazy with his samples and the way he chopped and blended different melodies together... Maybe you haven't heard enough of his music to have heard things properly.

i don't know...

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    clearly

• premier without question. peace, stein. . .

• Premier's Lord Finesse shit is my shit.

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    primo made a hip hop song about ghetto-tough big rig driving sound dope.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    you can't compare Primo to Jay Dee to begin with.

both are legendary, consistent, well-respected icons in hiphop.

the difference?

1. Premier makes more hits

2. Jay Dee is criminally slept on only up until the 2000s

be honest, half of them fools didn't even know until recently that so many of your favourite 90s jam were actually produced by Jay Dee. i'm talking just when all those Dilla Tribute mixes starting floating around! The man has been humble about it too.

• 2. Jay Dee is criminally slept on only up until the 2000s

huh? at the time of "labcabincalifornia" "beats, rhymes and life" and "stakes is high" he was arguably the hottest producer on earth. peace, stein. . .

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    its a wierd comparison, my two I just like dilla's ear better.

• cdrs88cdrs88 48 Posts
    You could say that Dilla was more interesting in a number of ways, but it's really not a contest to me. And despite working with some sub-par rappers, Premier made countless classic SONGS, whereas Dilla always had beats, but didn't really make that many memorable rap records. Sorry, Frank-n-Dank.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head, some Frank N Dank was alright though, they were Dilla's Group Home.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

huh? at the time of "labcabincalifornia" "beats, rhymes and life" and "stakes is high" he was arguably the hottest producer on earth. peace, stein. . .

Yeah, but outside of pros like yourself, how many people were really, enthusiastically, riding for his shit back then? Not too many people were crazy about those records, as I recall. Personally, I loved his shit from the jump (he did some nice beats on that first Mad Skillz album, too), but look at how the two Tribe albums he was involved in were received. I remember saying to people at the time that, despite not being great Tribe albums, people would come to recognise those joints as being influential records, when a lot of other people were just saying, "Jaydee ruined Tribe". "4 Moms" is pretty much the essence of that whole neo-soul sound in a skit less than two minutes long.

You could say that Primo's great contribution was that he more or less set the mark for what the NY sound would come to mean for a lot of people, although I'm sure others could argue that point. Sonically, Dilla brought a fresh approach which was less about hard-hitting drums and a boomin-in-ya-jeep dynamic, and which took on board a lot of elements that many producers weren't really trying to fuck with at the time - west coast latin jazz, brazilian, fusion, psych-folk - and which made him a good fit for Tribe and the Pharcyde musically.

• Primos beats is FAr as original as jaydees sound, both the old ones and the new ones. and primos drum patterns are straight up wack, sounds like hes using quantizing on all of them, and he gets boring too, cause all of the beats sound the same, i like dilla much more, cause he has many different styles & sounds. ive never been disappointed when putting on a dilla record (except form common - the light remix).. but primo just gets more & more boring for every release. i can imagine hes a good dj thou. havent seen him live.

• primos drum patterns are straight up wack,

haha, ididnt mean STRAIGHT UP WACk. but compared to dillas drumworks they are on some extraordinarie lil dude shit

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    primos drum patterns are straight up wack,

haha, ididnt mean STRAIGHT UP WACk. but compared to dillas drumworks they are on some extraordinarie lil dude shit

Drums on a hip-hop record are supposed to knock. Primo's drums knock. So do Dilla's. If it's reverse triple-paradiddle wizard-rock complexity you're after, you might want to try this;

Premier = Lil' Dude

??? WTF ???

I believe you are wandering into the realms of talking toffee here...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Primos beats is FAr as original as jaydees sound, both the old ones and the new ones. and primos drum patterns are straight up wack, sounds like hes using quantizing on all of them, and he gets boring too, cause all of the beats sound the same, i like dilla much more, cause he has many different styles & sounds. ive never been disappointed when putting on a dilla record (except form common - the light remix).. but primo just gets more & more boring for every release. i can imagine hes a good dj thou. havent seen him live.

Hilarious.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

If you'd listened to Primo'd drums in 89-90 he was killin shit.
    So u have to take in the proper context. Dilla came after Primo, and had to be influenced by him.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

Yeah, but outside of pros like yourself, how many people were really, enthusiastically, riding for his shit back then? Not too many people were crazy about those records, as I recall. Personally, I loved his shit from the jump (he did some nice beats on that first Mad Skillz album, too), but look at how the two Tribe albums he was involved in were received. I remember saying to people at the time that, despite not being great Tribe albums, people would come to recognise those joints as being influential records, when a lot of other people were just saying, "Jaydee ruined Tribe". "4 Moms" is pretty much the essence of that whole neo-soul sound in a skit less than two minutes long.

You could say that Primo's great contribution was that he more or less set the mark for what the NY sound would come to mean for a lot of people, although I'm sure others could argue that point. Sonically, Dilla brought a fresh approach which was less about hard-hitting drums and a boomin-in-ya-jeep dynamic, and which took on board a lot of elements that many producers weren't really trying to fuck with at the time - west coast latin jazz, brazilian, fusion, psych-folk - and which made him a good fit for Tribe and the Pharcyde musically.

What these dudes said... c'mon Jay Dee was far from the hottest producer before the turn of the 21st Century. In the neo-soul / conscious hip hop realm, yeah he was making some noise. If he was really pumping like that, then we totally missed out in Detroit. We weren't notified, because we thought we were the only ones that really knew.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    wow, the masks really came off on several little dudes in this thread.

• PRIMO & DILLA MAKE ME BANG MY HEAD DURING MANY YEARS AND COMPARING THEM IS LIKE COMPARING JOHN COLTRANE TO SUN RA !!!

"MATCH NUL" AS WE SAY IN FRANCE

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    so many of your favourite 90s jam were actually produced by Jay Dee.

really though? he had great beats, but very few of my favorite 90s jams were produced by him. like 2 or 3 maybe.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Production credits pleez

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

If you'd listened to Primo'd drums in 89-90 he was killin shit.
    So u have to take in the proper context. Dilla came after Primo, and had to be influenced by him.

before premier started making everything sound the same he had stupid styles! fast beats, slow beats, jazzy shit, hard knock shit, very simple shit.... and drums for days!

i say that they are easily comparable. they're both very influential sample based beat makers who have a ton of work out there. priemer does have a bit of an edge coming out of the end of the "golden era" but dilla's consistancy and creativity can't be argued - at least if you know anything about making beats.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    for me it's definitely dilla

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    Soul Strut is so predictable sometimes.