AMERICA APPRECIATON THREAD

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Are you one of these Americans that goes around chanting "We're #1! We're #1!".

No. when you, and everbody else, know that you are number one, it is not necessary to chant it.

Hahahaha. Dude I just spit my tea out when I read that... you're laughs for days, keep 'em coming...

tea. i rest my case.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

America, as country:

exactly the type of nuanced, intelligent critique we have come to expect from you, harvchaic.

No. when you, and everbody else, know that you are number one, it is not necessary to chant it.

Hahahaha. Dude I just spit my tea out when I read that... you're laughs for days, keep 'em coming...

tea. i rest my case.

do your homework son. the real patriots of this country all drank tea.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

America, as country:

exactly the type of nuanced, intelligent critique we have come to expect from you, harvchaic.

That you require an explanation places you squarely on the wrong side of the problems at hand.

America, as country:

That you require an explanation places you squarely on the wrong side of the problems at hand.

that you really, wholeheartedly believe the comment you made places you squarely on the wrong side of our borders.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

tea. i rest my case.

Like Common, One Day It'll All Make Sense

tea. i rest my case.

please, like John Wayne ever drank a spot of tea. I dont think so.

tea. i rest my case.

please, like John Wayne ever drank a spot of tea. I dont think so.

Hahahahaha! Oh man! Please don't stop! Keep 'em coming!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

America, as country:

And you know very well the type of bullshit that ensues by responding like that.

*Hug*

he signed his name on the inside so he would know it is his cup, so it is proof positive he drank coffee.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    come on, we're almost there. I was waiting to see how long it would take for this to degenerate into a full-on anti-american bush-bashing derangement cluster fuck. We're at the America is great EXCEPT FOR... phase, so I say one more page at the outside.

And why is that?

BECAUSE...

New York, amazing place, lived for a week with a friend who hooked up an apartment on 93rd overlooking Central Park (I have no idea how). What a great city. I think it??s incredible that authentic Indian Cuisine gets delivered to the door (with bottles of Taj Mahal!) but very very OK. Great record-stores too.

I have massive love for Chicago; that town is amazing! Seeing original Dalis and Picassos just hanging there at the art-centre with such minimal glass-bubble security, and that weird steel-statue at the outside. Great records, great friends. Good sandwiches.

Denver was my favourite town for digging, RIP Don??s Discs. They have the wickedest steaks in Colorado, a place called True Grits. The entire place is dedicated to John Wayne, and every waitress is blonde and under eighteen! Did montainbiking, rock-climbing and 4-wheel driving in the Rockies. What a magnificent place that is! A mountain made of rust? Incredible.

I love the four-corners area, regardless of what people say about the midwest. Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, all have fantastic amounts of weird and delightful things. Eating in Santa Fe is the best. I went skiing on the sand dunes in Colorado, saw Ghostface and Raekwon play in Alberquerque.

I remember going on the Greyhound bus and travelling for two days from CO to Wisconsin to hang out with a friend of mine at a 50s-style vacation colony. What a bizarre trip that was.

America is great.

BUT, it??s also a pretty fucked up place. As we and you all know.

Seriously guys, I end up defending you people in so many cases, because (as that guy said in those other related threads) we hate what comes through on TV, radio and cinema which represents corporate America, but this just turns into a general hate of America, especially when you??ve never been there. If they had met as many fantastic American people as I have, this would not have been the case.

I??m tired and ranting. Good night.

- J

he signed his name on the inside so he would know it is his cup, so it is proof positive he drank coffee.

Don't you see the irony in your example? The man whose nickname was 'The Duke' - an English royal title?

And you can quit the coffee angle too:

'Coffee is a widely consumed beverage prepared from the roasted seeds???commonly called "beans"???of the coffee plant. Coffee was first consumed as early as the 9th century, when it appeared in the highlands of Ethiopia. From Ethiopia, it spread to Egypt and Yemen, and by the 15th century had reached Persia, Turkey, and northern Africa. From the Muslim world, coffee spread to Italy, then to the rest of Europe and the Americas. Today, coffee is one of the most popular beverages worldwide.'

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Fuck yeah!

I love America, but I do think we're in desperate need of a renaissance. We're a young country in the world's stage with minimal history so we've been getting by borrowing cultures from all who immigrated here. We need a strong cultural identity to go along with our strong presence in the world.

What will the renaissance be? I dunno... art, music, fashion, education, etc. The real key is to reward those with actual talent and intelligence instead of those that are more marketable. How will we get there? I have no fucking clue!

Oh yeah... no offense to any other state, but when I go abroad I say I'm from California instead of America. I get a more welcoming response that way

Yes on all accounts. and Edith those pictures are of some of my favorite places on this planet. I love the Bay Area, hard to imagine moving even though I probably will at some point. The cuntface has got to go though, that shit scared me.

America = the best and the worst, all at the same time.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Edith those pictures are of some of my favorite places on this planet. I love the Bay Area, hard to imagine moving even though I probably will at some point. The cuntface has got to go though, that shit scared me.

America = the best and the worst, all at the same time.

Word to all of this.

I actually never drove the 1 down the coast until about three or four years ago (also didn't have a car out here until then), but man, it was something else. And a couple years ago, my girlfriend at the time took me up to Mendocino for my birthday, and I thought it was beautiful. The Pacific coast is way different from the Atlantic coast, that's for sure. Just amazing stuff.

The cuntface has got to go though, that shit scared me.

Billy Joel loves America

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    we hate what comes through on TV, radio and cinema which represents corporate America

I'm just curious to where in the world is putting out all this quality programming. Does America put out alot of crap? Yes. But I'm betting the quality of the good shit is just as good as anywhere else.

Shit, most of the hit shows in the US come from UK ideas anyways. Shit, I blame the UK for "American Idol". U BASTARDS!!!

What are other countries giving the world???

I mean... I know us Canadians have been giving the world Comedians for the last 25 years.

We've tried to give you Dion tho, and none of you fuckers will bite. Tho, Switzerland did take shania twain off our hands, so we dodged a bullet there...

• he signed his name on the inside so he would know it is his cup, so it is proof positive he drank coffee.

Don't you see the irony in your example? The man whose nickname was 'The Duke' - an English royal title?

'Coffee is a widely consumed beverage prepared from the roasted seeds???commonly called "beans"???of the coffee plant. Coffee was first consumed as early as the 9th century, when it appeared in the highlands of Ethiopia. From Ethiopia, it spread to Egypt and Yemen, and by the 15th century had reached Persia, Turkey, and northern Africa. From the Muslim world, coffee spread to Italy, then to the rest of Europe and the Americas. Today, coffee is one of the most popular beverages worldwide.'

i'd like to buy a and a for the kill.

and cosign on what Day said, America is great, but we got lot's of work to do.

peace.

peace.

but it doesnt change the fact that tea drinking is gay.

• phenomenal comeback.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I have lived in both Europe and America. Love both places for different reasons. The one thing that drives me crazy about middle America is their insistence on saying things like "America is the greatest country in the world". Shit is totally ignorant. Honestly, lots of Americans (most of whom have never been abroad) act like the rest of the world doesn't have indoor plumbing or edible food. Shit is just embarrassing.

As for not knowing our geography or foreign languages, let me posit this theory on my European brethren. Oregon, where I live, is twice the size of England. Not a single person I met in Europe had ever heard of it or knew where it was. This is a place about as big as Italy. So it cuts both ways. The language issue is simple. We don't need to speak another language to survive or thrive and so most of us don't*. If you live in Kansas you are more than a thousand miles from the nearest foreign border. Asking the average American to learn a foreign language is like asking the average Frenchman to learn Czech. Americans learn foreign languages for the same reason that Europeans do: when it is in there own self-interest to.

*I speak French fairly fluently and can read a little Russian.

• I have lived in both Europe and America. Love both places for different reasons. The one thing that drives me crazy about middle America is their insistence on saying things like "America is the greatest country in the world". Shit is totally ignorant. Honestly, lots of Americans (most of whom have never been abroad) act like the rest of the world doesn't have indoor plumbing or edible food. Shit is just embarrassing.

As for not knowing our geography or foreign languages, let me posit this theory on my European brethren. Oregon, where I live, is twice the size of England. Not a single person I met in Europe had ever heard of it or knew where it was. This is a place about as big as Italy. So it cuts both ways. The language issue is simple. We don't need to speak another language to survive or thrive and so most of us don't*. If you live in Kansas you are more than a thousand miles from the nearest foreign border. Asking the average American to learn a foreign language is like asking the average Frenchman to learn Czech. Americans learn foreign languages for the same reason that Europeans do: when it is in there own self-interest to.

*I speak French fairly fluently and can read a little Russian.

now THAT is

peace.

but it doesnt change the fact that tea drinking is gay.

Your Zing! skills are weak old man

• Every time an American drinks tea, the terrorists win.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    The cuntface has got to go though, that shit scared me.

More than you can imagine...

• One great thing about America is that Dolo doesn't live here.

• half of u dudes are the type to rave about eropean 'peasant cuisine' as if poor folk food becomes any less poor because the folks eating it cant speak right.

possibly the most pointless post i've ever seen out of this mouth.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    America, as land: love it.

America, as country:

Go live in switzerland or one of those other social democratic shitholes, cuntface.

Switzerland???

Try Panama.

Point being, I'd rather go back in time rather than "forward".

• so much to be thankful for in this country:
    scenic beauty
    human rights and guaranteed freedoms (many exceptions,unfortunately)
    environmental consciousness
    history of struggle for justice
    abundance and economic opportunity
    unparalleled diversity
    black music (which gave birth to a lot of america's "white music"...rock)
    redwoods
    basketball

lets never forget that two of our deepest historical roots are genocide and slavery. pretty wack. but i feel its a national honor and duty to work passionately to reconcile their legacies with our values of freedom and tolerance.

people are saying that america's days are over and that we should be preparing for economic,environmental, social and political catastrophes. next decade is going to be very interesting. lets work for common good.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts

As for not knowing our geography or foreign languages, let me posit this theory on my European brethren. Oregon, where I live, is twice the size of England. Not a single person I met in Europe had ever heard of it or knew where it was.

Mmmm, while I doubt many people I know (myself included), could confidently label Oregon on a blank map, I don't think if I asked 100 people stopped in the street that any of them would never[/b] have heard of the place. But then 50% of those people might not even speak English, some of the English ones may not have gone to school...
    While even highly educated Americans seem to find international geography 'difficult'; University Challenge is a quiz program for teams of students to rep their mind-skillz, and I saw one episode where an American studying at an Oxford College was asked to name an African country bordering Nigeria, and he came up with... Jamaica! Whole studio was in tears of laughter.

Anyway, aside from that, I love America, but, and there's always a but with America, it's hard to know if I love the idea of America or the reality, because more than any where else, America is an idea/ideal, and there's always scope for some disparity between the subjective/objective. Probably why everybody has an opinion on how the great experiment is running.