Options

Turning Point Saturday July 9th at the Gladstone

edited June 2005 in Announcements
Please join good friend A MAn Called Warwick and I for the deepest latin, reggae, afro & caribbean funk, ska and whatever else we decide to drop

Comments

• Options
    Thanks to all whom showed at my reggae oldies night at Thymeless. Remember, Turning Point on the 9th - should be fun.

Kevin in Canada (yes Toronto).

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Thanks to all whom showed at my reggae oldies night at Thymeless. Remember, Turning Point on the 9th - should be fun.

oh no, Thank You - it was rad.

the next place was even sketchier than BK Sr. i was thinking about it and it could have become pretty ugly with the "you can't leave just yet" thing.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

Will try to make it down!

Peace

h

• Options

oh no, Thank You - it was rad.

the next place was even sketchier than BK Sr. i was thinking about it and it could have become pretty ugly with the "you can't leave just yet" thing.

You're going to have to remain drinking in the after hours. Heat score outside, ya know.

• Options
    OK. I'll lay it down. S*m*n has some fo the best records I've ever heard (ask the world's best Northern, Afor Funk, Funk, and Jazz Dance Dj's what's up). I'm his understudy. Come see what's up.

Kevin in Canada.

P.S. i was brought up by my Grandmother to respect my elders. Shit magnifies (though, Doone gets the ultimate respect) when they have tastes such as my friend.

Kevin.

• OK. I'll lay it down. S*m*n has some fo the best records I've ever heard (ask the world's best Northern, Afor Funk, Funk, and Jazz Dance Dj's what's up). I'm his understudy. Come see what's up.

Kevin in Canada.

P.S. i was brought up by my Grandmother to respect my elders. Shit magnifies (though, Doone gets the ultimate respect) when they have tastes such as my friend.

Kevin.

Nearly everybody is his understudy, just by sheer default more than anything!

*ps: my new friend is now a huge fan of yours after last Sat.

• Options
    Yeah, I got a really good of both your friend and just about everybody else that was there that night - Curtis, a couple of the older dreads I talked to, the owner (who offered me a night after my first 3 records!), Anousheh and Weesie, youself, Harper, Lauren - i was good times. BEats the mindless wankers at the BEaconsfield any day.

K.

P.S. I got some record/music information for your friend if you have her email handy.

• Options
    This Saturday, peoples. This band will be represented in various forms

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Are you guys gonna play any Bullwackies? or anything on GBI or anything else.

• Options
    W,

WHne you get to know me a little better, you'll realize I don't step to a gig without Lloyd Barnes' labels in my pack.

K.

How was the rest of Sunday?!

• Options
    I crashed on the couch while D and J had another beer and J called me drunken names. It was fun night, thanks.

K.

no probs - for me, too.

• Options
    This Sunday folks...

K.

This Sunday folks...

K.

it's on Saturday!

• Options
    This Saturday folks (thanks A*************** **)

K.

This Saturday folks (thanks A*************** **)

K.

oh you're soooo funny!
    that made me laugh!

• Options
    I did it the right way the first time and then caught myself.

, K.

glad to see the paranoia has had an effect!

ps. mucho movies next week at the AGO - i will call.

• Options
    Late in the week? Thinking about bumming out at the cottage Mon come home Thurs.

k.

mmmmm, Mon and Wed.
    If I can get off work - I'm headed to Montreal on Friday for the Reggae Festival and general tom-foolery and Indian food with M. HAZ.

• Options
    Tonight folks! I think Will (Quantic) and the band are coming up after thier Harbourfront gig.

Reviewing tunes as we e-speak.

K.

• djdepositdjdeposit 224 Posts
    wwhat was the turnout like?

• Options
    Large. 350-450 on sight estimation - J might know the exact details. PRetty good considering Queen st was closed down and the other options available that night. Quantic and the band came by and hung around until the final note.

K.

• Options
    Large. 350-450 on sight estimation - J might know the exact details. PRetty good considering Queen st was closed down and the other options available that night. Quantic and the band came by and hung around until the final note.

K.

This from the Now Magazine:

Warwick works it
    When A Man Called Warwick parted ways with the Movement crew, it seemed like a potentially foolhardy decision. Would he be able to pull enough of that scene out to his Turning Point parties? Well, judging from the packed house in the back room of the Gladstone Hotel Saturday, it's worked out well. He's defined an esoteric identity for the monthly party, and brings in guests who complement it (this week it was local vinyl junky Prince Budgster , aka Kevin Laverty ). While the rare groove and funk roots are still there, it's more about a tropical funk feeling: Afrobeat, Latin, Brazilian, calypso, ska ??? basically vintage funk from very hot places. Without much visible promotion and without famous guest DJs or a big street team, the night has acquired a regular following of dancers who come specifically to hear this take on world music.

• Large. 350-450 on sight estimation - J might know the exact details. PRetty good considering Queen st was closed down and the other options available that night. Quantic and the band came by and hung around until the final note.

K.

about 250-275...possibly reaching 300 due to ins and outs during th enite.

best moment of the night:
    seeing Quantic and co. drunk and dancing without concern to marijata! (hands in the air and mouthing lyrics!)

*ps: K, best set i heard you play thus far(i am sure more bright things to come in future)
    *pps: i am at ciao edie tonite w/ my man rod skimmins , guest djing his 'say no format' weekly.
    no cover
    unexpected music(much of which amc would despise but you would dig!)

lattr,,
    j