Wedding Standards: The Great American Songbook??

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
So I have a few weddings coming up in the next several months and I've realized that I'm kind of ignorant to some of the songs from the Great American Songbook that might be considered staples to play at a wedding.For my own wedding a couple months ago I had to put together a list of artists from Benny Goodman to that OTHER FAMOUS WHITE GUY WHO PLAYED CARINET hahah (blanking haha!)Anyway, I've started to go through some of the shit that I think might be cool, and any help would be appreciated. of course, Sinatra. Tony Bennet, Ella Fitzgerald. What are the JUMPOFFS?The songbooks of Jerome Kern, Irving Berlin, Richard Rodgers, Cole Porter and Hoagie Carmichael.Any other ideas?

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    buddy greco
    bobby darrin
    the black one-eyed satanist jew
    jack jones

• just putting together a playlist for a wedding this weekend... I play jazz covers of richard rogers, which I have an LP of by Davis & Coltrane. Also play liberally from Coltrane "Ballads" or the LP with Johnny Hartman. That is all for the cocktail hour and such. For dinner, rocking any cole porter versions, I have Ella's version of "Fever" which is good, Sinatra's version of "Night & Day". If you're playing in the city you can drop Billy Joel's "New York State of Mind". I did well with that one a couple weeks ago. Norah Jones "Don't Know Why" is like a wedding classic already but that's getting more into modern stuff. A bunch of Nat King Cole is good. Even though it's not American, I get real good results with square Brazilian stuff like "Garota De Ipanema" and Jobim and stuff. I'll hit u back with more when I get in front of my laptop.

• jack Johnson[/b]

yet

• Woody Herman?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    So I have a few weddings coming up in the next several months and I've realized that I'm kind of ignorant to some of the songs from the Great American Songbook that might be considered staples to play at a wedding.

For my own wedding a couple months ago I had to put together a list of artists from Benny Goodman to that OTHER FAMOUS WHITE GUY WHO PLAYED CARINET hahah (blanking haha!)

Anyway, I've started to go through some of the shit that I think might be cool, and any help would be appreciated.

of course, Sinatra. Tony Bennet, Ella Fitzgerald. What are the JUMPOFFS?

The songbooks of Jerome Kern, Irving Berlin, Richard Rodgers, Cole Porter and Hoagie Carmichael.

Any other ideas?

"Cheek To Cheek" would be cool at a wedding. Likewise "True Love" from High Society. American Idol's probably done a lot to push "At Last" back into the wider public consciousness as well, I'd imagine.

square[/b] Brazilian stuff like "Garota De Ipanema" and Jobim and stuff.

[

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    So I have a few weddings coming up in the next several months and I've realized that I'm kind of ignorant to some of the songs from the Great American Songbook that might be considered staples to play at a wedding.

For my own wedding a couple months ago I had to put together a list of artists from Benny Goodman to that OTHER FAMOUS WHITE GUY WHO PLAYED CARINET hahah (blanking haha!)

Anyway, I've started to go through some of the shit that I think might be cool, and any help would be appreciated.

The songbooks of Jerome Kern, Irving Berlin, Richard Rodgers, Cole Porter and Hoagie Carmichael.

Any other ideas?

You might want to start with the song list (not necessarily artist though) on the "When Harry Met Sally" soundtrack. As far as jazz standards go, they picked some really great ones for that. The one song I'd leave off would be "It Had To Be You" (ironically).

But Rodgers is an excellent choice, Cole Porter of course and don't sleep on Gershwin.

I concur with JP that some good bossa would be a good look, especially "Corcovado" (Sarah Vaughn does a great version of this).

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah I have some Gershwin on here. Also have Coltrane/Hartman and some mellow Brazillian shit, including the Jobim/Sinatra jawn which is good.

Definitely looking at Jazz Vocal recommendations though.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Any other ideas?

I have several pre mixed sets for this. I know that sounds lame, but it's a great time for you to get yourself together and take care of logistics (cake cutting, 1st dance, toasts, etc.). While those mixes are playing, I will blend in few "live" records so I don't look like a dickhead just standing up there.

Jazz: go for the upbeat piano trios Red Garland, early Ramsey Lewis, the 3 sounds.

some Sinatra titles: Songs for Swinging Lovers, Come Dance With Me, Come Fly with Me, A Swinging Affair, etc. anything upbeat with Nelson Riddle, son!

Tons of other gems in the dollar bin off the top of my head...

Rosemary Clooney with Perez Prado
    Nat King Cole in Espanol
    Willie Nelson--Stardust

I will blend in few "live" records so I don't look like a dickhead just standing up there.

do you really think thats enough?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Yeah I have some Gershwin on here. Also have Coltrane/Hartman and some mellow Brazillian shit, including the Jobim/Sinatra jawn which is good.

A little Chet Baker might do the trick.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Stevie Wonder - You and I

• square[/b] Brazilian stuff like "Garota De Ipanema" and Jobim and stuff.

[

Come on dude - compared to the typical interest of this board ie tropicalia, or worse yet baile funk

Cosmo I'm pretty sure there's an Ella Sings Gershwin LP, all of that stuff is on itunes too.

Dinah Washington--Dinah Jams
    Count Basie stuff on Decca with Jimmy Rushing on vocals

The tender trap

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I should probably clarify this:

I'm actually looking to broaden my repertoire with music that's for the MUCH older folk - talking 65+. That's why the request for all the jazz standards and shit like that.

And it's not really long list that I'm looking for, just like the MUST HAVES. Like if someone said "Stardust" - I don't have that. I need that, right? Famous song along these lines if I'm not mistaken...

• Yeah. Cosign "Cheek To Cheek" too...

You need to bone up on your musicals dog!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You need to bone up on your musicals dog!

OOF.

• Rent a bunch of them shits and watch. You'll hear the music and know what to do. Easier with the visual.

I will blend in few "live" records so I don't look like a dickhead just standing up there.

do you really think thats enough?

can we limit our buttfucking to political threads? plus, i've got mad roids after all those honkitty liquor drinks.

hi, cosmo

SAMMY DAVIS JUNIOR I MARRIED AN ANGEL

ALWAYS WORKS FOR ME EVEN THOUGH IT'S ABOUT MURDER

• What are the JUMPOFFS?

The hardest I ever saw a "normal" wedding go off was when a dude played "Maneater." I'm talking absolute PANDEMONIUM. Uncles having a drink at the bar stopping mid-sentence, loosening the tie while giving the hard head sway, slamming the drink down, plowing into the melee and straight going for theirs. Fat teen cousins prowling the edge of the dancefloor, looking for second-removed trim. Mild yet compelling crowd surfing. Spilt booze and cake debris everywhere. DJ had to play it three times in a row. Shit was bonkers.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I should probably clarify this:

I'm actually looking to broaden my repertoire with music that's for the MUCH older folk - talking 65+. That's why the request for all the jazz standards and shit like that.

And it's not really long list that I'm looking for, just like the MUST HAVES. Like if someone said "Stardust" - I don't have that. I need that, right? Famous song along these lines if I'm not mistaken...

Tie a Yellow Ribbon then...sheesh.

What are the JUMPOFFS?

The hardest I ever saw a "normal" wedding go off was when a dude played "Maneater." I'm talking absolute PANDEMONIUM. Uncles having a drink at the bar stopping mid-sentence, loosening the tie while giving the hard head sway, slamming the drink down, plowing into the melee and straight going for theirs. Fat teen cousins prowling the edge of the dancefloor, looking for second-removed trim. Mild yet compelling crowd surfing. Spilt booze and cake debris everywhere. DJ had to play it three times in a row. Shit was bonkers.

I wish I could get invited to the kind of wedding where the DJ has to pull three rewinds on a Hall & Oates jam.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    What are the JUMPOFFS?

I wish I could get invited to the kind of wedding where the DJ has to pull three rewinds on a Hall & Oates jam.

Had you been at my wedding you would have been witness to a full on Freeway megamix.

What are the JUMPOFFS?

Had you been at my wedding you would have been witness to a full on Freeway megamix.

Hahaha! I'm now trying to picture a wedding party gettin' buck to "What We Do". Did everyone shout the "I ain't talkin' bout chicken and gravy, mang" line louder than all the others?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    What are the JUMPOFFS?

The hardest I ever saw a "normal" wedding go off was when a dude played "Come On Eileen[/b]." I'm talking absolute PANDEMONIUM. Uncles having a drink at the bar stopping mid-sentence, loosening the tie while giving the hard head sway, slamming the drink down, plowing into the melee and straight going for theirs. Fat teen cousins prowling the edge of the dancefloor, looking for second-removed trim. Mild yet compelling crowd surfing. Spilt booze and cake debris everywhere. DJ had to play it three times in a row. Shit was bonkers.

at our wedding we played Deodato's Thus spoke Tharathustra durring the cake cutting and the place went pretty crazy when its peaked out with the 2001 space odesy theme.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    at our wedding we played Deodato's Thus spoke Tharathustra durring the cake cutting and the place went pretty crazy when its peaked out with the 2001 space odesy theme.

That's awesome. My man played "Cut The Cake" during our cake ceremony.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    frankie valli