Wedding Standards: The Great American Songbook??

2»

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    frankie valli

Gotta love those Franki Valli vocal jazz standards!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Cos,

This might be a bit leftfield but I've always been partial to Aretha's Columbia era ballads. I'll skip the more depressing stuff but certainly, "Skylark" could work..."One Step Ahead,"too. Both should be on those inexpensive "best of" comps that Columbia rolled out in the late '60s.

Otherwise, I've always like Johnny Hartman for jazz vocals BUT his steez, like Chet Baker's, might be a bit too sleepy for a wedding. I think you cannot possibly go wrong with something like Ella Fitzgerald's "Rodgers Songbook" (which I think is better than her Cole Porter one) or either of her Ella + Louis albums. And of course, Sinatra can't go wrong either.

You might also consider early Dionne Warwick ("Walk on By" era).

• There's an Aretha sings Dinah Washington LP that's phenomenal.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Cos,

This might be a bit leftfield but I've always been partial to Aretha's Columbia era ballads. I'll skip the more depressing stuff but certainly, "Skylark" could work..."One Step Ahead,"too. Both should be on those inexpensive "best of" comps that Columbia rolled out in the late '60s.

Otherwise, I've always like Johnny Hartman for jazz vocals BUT his steez, like Chet Baker's, might be a bit too sleepy for a wedding. I think you cannot possibly go wrong with something like Ella Fitzgerald's "Rodgers Songbook" (which I think is better than her Cole Porter one) or either of her Ella + Louis albums. And of course, Sinatra can't go wrong either.

You might also consider early Dionne Warwick ("Walk on By" era).

I've always found Chet to be very sleepy, but I have a request for Coltrane/Hartman "They Say It's Wonderful."

I'll definitely peep the Fitzgerald "Rodgers Songbook." Also, I'm trying to keep this section of music a little upbeat, you know? So like maybe "Goody Goody" and shit like that.