Anybody Seen RIZE Yet?

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited June 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
Haven't been to the theater in ages, but I'm pretty hyped about seeing this tonight. I've heard many good things and was wondering if anyone else has had a chance to peep. I know some NY folks have had an early crack at checking it out.

I remember seeing Tommy The Clown and his crew on Steve Harvey's Big Time and had no idea what was going on, but was really intrigued by their collective innovation.

IMG align="center" src="http://www.soulstrut.com/img/scans/Rize.jpg">

I know very little about dancing, but plenty about being who and what you are no matter what people try to put on you. This movie seems to speak directly to that spirit.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    I want to see RIZE waaaay more than that John Singleton bullshucks.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I saw a preview of the movie on MTV2 the other night. The preview was about 15 or 20 minutes long. It was very interesting. I knew nothing about krumping until recently. I want to go see this in the theater for sure. I think wifey would like it as well. Any LA peoples know anything about krumping? Have you ever seen this live?

New York Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/19/magazine/19CLOWN.html?pagewanted=1

I think Mangoman is a member of the "Rice Track" family, a Filipino krumping crew from Long Beach....

• I wish they'd come up with a better word than "krumping", which sounds like some kind of donut based fetish...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i saw the short film david lachappelle did a while ago, and was hyped about that, when i heard this shit was dropping my jaw dropped right with it.

i know it comes out in NY and LA this weekend, anyone know when it comes to the humble theaters like mine?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    that John Singleton bullshucks.

"It's like 8 Mile meets the Dirty South!"

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Are you guys fucking serious? This shit looks gay! Two sweaty guys with no shirts on and make up? And that is what you guys want to go see? Honestly, do any of these Krumper guys have father figures? I know if I seen my son doing that shit I'd slap him on Sunday and be waiting for him on Monday!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Are you guys fucking serious? This shit looks gay! Two sweaty guys with no shirts on and make up? And that is what you guys want to go see? Honestly, do any of these Krumper guys have father figures? I know if I seen my son doing that shit I'd slap him on Sunday and be waiting for him on Monday!

If "ghey" takes somebody off of the corner and into a zone of creativity to make money and establish rep (Tommy The Clown's story) then I'm all for it. I think it'll be refreshing to see something this visually stunning in a theater and be exposed to an niche artform that I (and most of the world, until now) know very little about.

If "ghey" takes somebody off of the corner and into a zone of creativity to make money and establish rep (Tommy The Clown's story) then I'm all for it. I think it'll be refreshing to see something this visually stunning in a theater and be exposed to an niche artform that I (and most of the world, until now) know very little about.

Word! Preach Drew, preach!!!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I hear you, Drewn...

... but still, kind of suspect though man. I mean... come on, clowns?

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts

Word! Preach Drew, preach!!!!

Yeah I gotta co-sign on this one. I am pretty sure you wouldn't say that "Ghey" shit to anyone of those cats that is in this doc. They would probably lay you out real and further more if you watch this film you might learn something about how important this is to them, and how amazing it is for them to be able to perform for hundreds of people.

I hear you, Drewn...

... but still, kind of suspect though man. I mean... come on, clowns?

It is a little weird and AYOish, but I'm still gonna go check the movie. Maybe I'll see if Dee Rock wants to go with me, I'll buy the popcorn! LOL

Are you guys fucking serious? This shit looks gay!

I'm pretty sure most of those guys are gay.

Now what?

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Buttfuck an ayo.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Are you guys fucking serious? This shit looks gay!

I'm pretty sure most of those guys are gay.

Now what?

"Clowns? "

That was my first reaction to what I saw on Harvey. But hey - why not? I mean they filled STADIUMS with folks who not only don't seem to care, but are into this!

I just want to see what the hype is about.

SUPPORT FOR THE ARTFORM.

It's a movie, of course they had stadiums full of people. That doesn't mean they were into it. And yes, I would tell them they are gay because gay is gay. No man should be wearing make up or doing stripper dances! You guys are all for Getting them off the corner etc. So would argue if a cat sells a brick and gets off the corner? I'm sure you would. At the end of the day he did what he had to do and is off the corner right? Let's be honest in saying the most of white america sees black people as Clowns that dance, so what do you think this movie looks like? To each their own on being creative and doing art and all that. This shit just ain't right! Lol.

"how amazing it is for them to be able to perform for hundreds of people."

I'll say!!!!! What's even more amazing is they made a movie of it and grown men
    want to go stand in line and pay $10.00 to go see it.

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    "how amazing it is for them to be able to perform for hundreds of people."

I'll say!!!!! What's even more amazing is they made a movie of it and grown men
    want to go stand in line and pay $10.00 to go see it.

yeah I guess it is ghey

And yes, I would tell them they are gay because gay is gay. No man should be wearing make up or doing stripper dances!

Again, man, that would be like showing up at the Pride parade and telling people that they seem "gay".

All this "gay" "ghey" "gae" is pure speculation on your part man. I don't know shit about anybody in this movie's sexual orientation or whateverthefuck. Don't really care to be honest with you. At the end of the day, for me, this is a documentary - a motion picture about the lives of real people. That's where I leave it. Maybe you should, too.

And yes, I would tell them they are gay because gay is gay. No man should be wearing make up or doing stripper dances!

Again, man, that would be like showing up at the Pride parade and telling people that they seem "gay".

The only difference with that is at Pride they already know it and it would be a compliment.

The only difference with that is at Pride they already know it and it would be a compliment.

By the way, there are KIDS in this movie.

Are they gay too?

Stereotypes are a sho'nuff motherfucker, ain't they?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    gay or not, krumping is super corny

Are they gay too?

Once again, YES!!!! Sterotypess are a mf. Grown men waiting in line and spending money to watch KIDS dance with men with make up on!!!! If you wish to support that go ahead but I'm not with it.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

just watched the trailer - don't think I could make up something as crazy as this. Guys painting their faces like Krusty the clown & then busting moves like Crazy Legs? WTF? What's with the clown thing?

Don't know or care if these dudes are friends of dorothy (No Ashby), but this shit seems very strange...its prolly no weirder, though, than donning a track suit & spinning on your head seemed to the average person some 20 years ago...

h

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I gotta be honest and admit I finally saw WILD STYLE for the first time this week. But what a fag-ass flick - dudes in circle watching each other dance, wearing suspect white gloves, tight-ass designer jeans, even doing "I'm trapped in a glass box" mime and shit. I mean WTF is up with that.

Yeah, what I'm trying to say here, though, is that I'm pretty sure most of these guys are gay and that they're not exactly closeted.

Are they gay too?

Once again, YES!!!! Sterotypess are a mf. Grown men waiting in line and spending money to watch KIDS dance with men with make up on!!!! If you wish to support that go ahead but I'm not with it.

I am NOT here to sell you on seeing this movie. But, I AM surprised that some people (on here) have the heart to shit on the extension of a cultural/urban artform and pigeonhole it with such recklessness - without even seeing the movie!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

what I'm trying to say here, though, is that I'm pretty sure most of these guys are gay.

AYO!!!!!!