antibalas?

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
some appreciation for this fine band? caught them in toronto last night, PHENOMENAL! Id appreciate if any of their influences can be entioned. I assume feli plays a part?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    playing prospect park tonight...

• Id appreciate if any of their influences can be entioned. I assume feli plays a part?

• playing prospect park tonight...

for free none the less...I'm there.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    too bad i missed it in the T, im heading there this weekend for some kicks digging.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    I'm a fan but when I caught them live last year at the ACL Fest I thought they were kinda weaksauce.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    playing prospect park tonight...

I'll be in attendance. Otis, want me to bring you those recs?
    What's Soullive like?

Antibalas is much appreciated around these parts!

• playing prospect park tonight...

I'll be in attendance. Otis, want me to bring you those recs?
    What's Soullive like?

Antibalas is much appreciated around these parts!

Nice. I'll be there around 9 (have to wait for the lady to get off work). Yes, I would like you to bring the records.
    Soulive is a funky jazz trio on Blue Note - keys, drums, and guitar, sometimes they have a horn section. Great guitarist, and sometimes the keys player gets busy on the clavinet.

what's the schedule? is there a website for this event?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Soulive is a funky jazz trio on Blue Note

I tried Soulive once. Think I'll stick to daptones and the like.

Celebrate Brooklyn

Hope to see y'alls tonight.
    dsf

• It's on.

More Antibalas appreciation - their latest album "Who Is This America" is and .

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I went to see Antibalas here in Philly a month or so ago and while I enjoyed the music, the crowd was getting on my last nerve. It was seriously a Passed Out Wookie Fest in there! The lead singer was bothering me too, dude looked like a cocky psuedo demigod on stage that was not appealing at all. Femi live is a MUCH better show!

Femi live is a MUCH better show!

That'll have to wait 'til Next Month

in "that other park"

so spoiled right now.

• Femi live is a MUCH better show!

in "that other park"

so spoiled right now.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Femi live is a MUCH better show!

in "that other park"

Oh schit. Summer calendar getting so thick right now.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Yeah, the crowd at these shows is always fuckin' hippies just like at MMW, it can get anoying, but any grouping of the same click of people in any size gets that way to me. Last time I saw them about 1 month ago was a little dissapointing, not as tight as in the past. And the lead singer is a cocky dude but I'm ok w/ that on stage.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Saw them in LA and the show was ehhhh... I was expecting more upbeat stuff and it was mostly slower joints... The crowd sucked too... I left halfway through. Was this a bad show and should I revisit?

Probably just a bad show. I've seen 'em a couple other times and they were hot as arizona blacktop. The crowd will always be the same. I bet that LA show was just a few days b/4 or after the show here, Maybe some of the dudes were sick for a few days or something?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I saw 'em live last year and they were ON FIRE. I really like that Daktaris album, the Che Che Chole 12", and LIBERATION AFRO-BEAT but have to admit I'm not real crazy about their LPs since then. I keep meaning to seriously revisit those albums but somehow I never get around to it.

Adding to the audience observation: here at their show in NC, there more white folks with dreadlocks in one place than I've ever seen in my life.

P.S. I guess we'll have to wait for page 2 before the the NYC hayter contingent weighs in on how we should all be listening to Fela instead.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Haven't seen them live but I do like them. Their LP's can get a little repetative, but so can a lot of other bands. It's kind like techno, party/dance music that is best enjoyed live. I'm sure they have bad shows like a lot of people..........this is one of those bands that I just like what they are doing even if Femi is doing it better. They are knowingly paying tribute to a certian style of music. Plus, they do cool stuff like march down a main steet jamming the day of the show to let everyone know to come out. You have to admit that's pretty cool.

Femi gets way more technoey and euroish w/ his stuff. Antibalas is much more raw IMO.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Femi gets way more technoey and euroish w/ his stuff. Antibalas is much more raw IMO.

Yea, I bought some Femi 12" and I was suprised at how techno they were. But, Black Man Know Yourself is ill!

• Yeah, hate because you have so much in common with these guys. Smoking weed, bashing Bush, and riding Kuti's leopard skin jock strap.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    some appreciation for this fine band? caught them in toronto last night, PHENOMENAL!

where did you see them? i saw them at lava lounge a few years ago and it was totally boring and MOR - background music basically. lava lounge is not really set-up for live shows so was it the venue or was it the band? inquiring minds want to know...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    some appreciation for this fine band? caught them in toronto last night, PHENOMENAL!

where did you see them? i saw them at lava lounge a few years ago and it was totally boring and MOR - background music basically. lava lounge is not really set-up for live shows so was it the venue or was it the band? inquiring minds want to know...

they played at the phoenix this time around, one of the best sounding venues in toronto, so naturally it was nice!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    damn i'd definitely liked to see 'em. I've listened to this album, and i certainly like it:

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    HOW THE F DOES A GROUP LIKE THIS MAKE A LIVING?? is more than 10 cats!!
    stein. . .

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    stein. . .

good question. i would like to know too! i know Ozomatli tours a GRIP. they came to UCSD for free on many ocassions, they don't do free shows that much anymore though. I saw them like 5 years ago on the Santa Monica Pier, and it's still been the CRAZIEST show i've ever been to.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    yep ozo kills it. stein. . .

• BlackmarksBlackmarks 155 Posts
    stein. . .

They have a good agent, Boche at Billions

they get 2-2500 gtee. . . sometimes plus backline,
    but yeah, 15 dudes on the road with FOH tech and merch dude.