Also, I don't like Bob Dylan

12346»

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I like Relatively Clean Rivers... but it is (IMO) one of the more derivative expensive private 3rd tier albums... and it does sound A WHOLE LOT like the Dead. I don't really have a point other than it's sorta funny that a lot of people who sweat these albums seem to really not care about the basic stuff. Not saying this is you GP, but I see it fairly often on the forums. Until recently I had always assumed that people got into this really super obscure stuff because they were beginning to exhaust "the canon", but it seems like a lot of folks on the internet are working backwards.

• The Dead never sounded as "druggy" as I wanted it to, but RCR does.

The Dead never sounded as "druggy" as I wanted it to

DUDE

I'm not sure we're talking about the same Dead.

hahahaha!

• The Dead never sounded as "druggy" as I wanted it to

DUDE

hahahaha!

I'm serious man. I dig the rural side more. I've worn out "LiveDead" trying to trip out to it but it never happens. Maybe I like different effects pedals than they use or something. I'm no musician but I know what I like. Point me to your top two super-psychedelic Dead tracks.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

DUDE

hahahaha!

I'm serious man. I dig the rural side more. I've worn out "LiveDead" trying to trip out to it but it never happens. Maybe I like different effects pedals than they use or something. I'm no musician but I know what I like. Point me to your top two super-psychedelic Dead tracks.

I think I know what you're getting at. They are not the kind of "psych" that hits you over the head like a sac of peyote buttons... but if any band perfected the sound (real or imagined) of the druggie west coast outlaw trip it's the Dead, IMO. There is psych that is the sound of teens exploring acid freakouts and then there are grown men with a true commitment to fucking up their minds and bodies. The dead are the latter.

DUDE

hahahaha!

I think I know what you're getting at. They are not the kind of "psych" that hits you over the head like a sac of peyote buttons... but if any band perfected the sound (real or imagined) of the druggie west coast outlaw trip it's the Dead, IMO. There is psych that is the sound of teens exploring acid freakouts and then there are grown men with a true commitment to fucking up their minds and bodies. The dead are the latter.

Well, I am still living w/ a teenager's mentality.......

Funny ancedote about the Dead....caught that doc "Festival Express" and Lesh was tawmbout how they really first experimented with alcohol on that train going across Canada. They ran out of booze and stopped the train and loaded up. They bought a gimmick size bottle of some sort of whiskey that's like as big as 20 fifths.....he recalled that halfway through the night he notices SEVERAL capsules rattling around in that bottle. I can't even imagine being really fucked up on whiskey and tripping my balls off. It's almost scary. So I see what you're on about w/ your last point.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    John Peel is laughing at us all

DUDE

hahahaha!

Well put...NO ONE was more committed than they were. What an amazing amount of drugs they consumed. Wow.

New Speedway Boogie is my favorite song by them, and the reason why may go nicely with Gene's request for psychedlic reasoning.

Why? In its OG album form, it is a 4 minute acoustic song. Live? It is a monster. And, man, there is some SHIT going on in that song. Altamont was over; folks were dead, and times were dark. This was NOT the summer of love hippie shit- this was HEAVY. Please don't dominate the rap, jack, if you got nothing new to say.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

DUDE

hahahaha!

Well put...NO ONE was more committed than they were. What an amazing amount of drugs they consumed. Wow.

New Speedway Boogie is my favorite song by them, and the reason why may go nicely with Gene's request for psychedlic reasoning.

Why? In its OG album form, it is a 4 minute acoustic song. Live? It is a monster. And, man, there is some SHIT going on in that song. Altamont was over; folks were dead, and times were dark. This was NOT the summer of love hippie shit- this was HEAVY. Please don't dominate the rap, jack, if you got nothing new to say.

I cannot believe you dudes post stuff like this with a straight face. In fact, I am struggling to decide whether or not you are.

DUDE

hahahaha!

I cannot believe you dudes post stuff like this with a straight face. In fact, I am struggling to decide whether or not you are.

I figured that was the post where Faux was gonna turn the knife on me. Shoulda kept that to the Jerry's Sink shit, too.

• I cannot believe you dudes post stuff like this with a straight face. In fact, I am struggling to decide whether or not you are.

Pfft. Whatever. Go wax philosophical about Lil' Boosie or something mang.

(enjoys Lil' Boosie)

DUDE

hahahaha!

I figured that was the post where Faux was gonna turn the knife on me. Shoulda kept that to the Jerry's Sink shit, too.

Haha... I'm just messing with you. But you do realize that the whole bunch of you sound like dudes my dad's age that I will skip the record show in order to avoid interacting with.

• You don't sound like a partier.

But you do realize that the whole bunch of you sound like dudes my dad's age that I will skip the record show in order to avoid interacting with.

I even skip the record shows to avoid dealing with people like myself.

• It's funny... I definitely don't consider myself a rockist. Much more into hiphop, soul, jazz, etc. Listen to Dylan, Dead, beatles, n. young, and a bunch of indie rock. My rock taste is fairly pedestrian, especially compared to the spermidermists.

That said... Dead hate gets my irish up like no other, because it seems so tilted to hatting a fan base, rather than a band. Especially when it gets to, 'i hate the dead, but love all this mediocre raer psych.'

(Nothin' but love, gene. )

That said... Dead hate gets my irish up like no other, because it seems so tilted to hatting a fan base, rather than a band. Especially when it gets to, 'i hate the dead, but love all this mediocre raer psych.'

Well, I won't pretend to love the mediocre raer psyche either.

It may surprise some to learn that I gave the Dead a shot sometime around ninth grade. My cousin had a coffee table book of poster art from the Filmore West, which I thought was really cool, and so I tried checking out some of the bands that were billed on the posters--for me, at least, the music didn't even come close to living up to the artwork.

• That said... Dead hate gets my irish up like no other, because it seems so tilted to hatting a fan base, rather than a band. Especially when it gets to, 'i hate the dead, but love all this mediocre raer psych.'

Well, I won't pretend to love the mediocre raer psyche either.

It may surprise some to learn that I gave the Dead a shot sometime around ninth grade. My cousin had a coffee table book of poster art from the Filmore West, which I thought was really cool, and so I tried checking out some of the bands that were billed on the posters--for me, at least, the music didn't even come close to living up to the artwork.

It never surprises to hear me that some teen was at one point (no matter how briefly) dabbling in either psychedelic or punk rock. They were both subcultures that revolved around music and drugs. I figure most people dabbled in one or the other.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    But you do realize that the whole bunch of you sound like dudes my dad's age that I will skip the record show in order to avoid interacting with.

I even skip the record shows to avoid dealing with people like myself.

• the other day, I got a hankering to pull out a Dead record for the first time in a LOOOOOONG time. I was in a bar and heard Box of Rain on the radio. That song is fucking amazing (not psych though)

oh and i like Dylan. used to be so brilliant, but when i got free tix to his concert a few years ago, it was probably the worst concert i've ever willingly attended (although he did foreshadow Hip Hop with Subterranean H.B.)

(last part = joke, you sharx!)

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I've personaly never been sure what to think of Bob Dylan. Can't say that any of his stuff really meant anything to me at any time. Sometimes I heard some song and thought "that's kinda cool" than I heard something else and thought "well, that's kinda corny". I never really knew what to think of him or if he'd be worth a thought at all. Then one day, I read in the news that he played for the pope and now I know that Bob Dylan can eat shit and die for all that I care.

• rsmeetsrsmeets 35 Posts
    i like dylan, some of the dead is okay, dylan and the dead? no thanks- that album was a terd. he wrote some good songs though.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I like Dylan.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i'm giggling right now at how long this thread is cos of my two posts.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    i'm giggling right now at how long this thread is cos of my two posts.

Hahaha! Why, you little...

• i'm giggling right now at how long this thread is cos of my two posts.

Hahaha! Why, you little...

This was the most fun thread i've had in a while...no joke.

nice job, y'all.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I've personaly never been sure what to think of Bob Dylan. Can't say that any of his stuff really meant anything to me at any time. Sometimes I heard some song and thought "that's kinda cool" than I heard something else and thought "well, that's kinda corny". I never really knew what to think of him or if he'd be worth a thought at all. Then one day, I read in the news that he played for the pope and now I know that Bob Dylan can eat shit and die for all that I care.

oh shit. On the Sinead tip up in here.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    i like dylan, some of the dead is okay, dylan and the dead? no thanks- that album was a terd.

His post-Desire stuff (yes, I've heard it) is pretty much unlistenable to me. I will never again play his "Live At Budokan" or Live 75 Bootleg.

Sure it is--I think the outrage is fueled by certain peoples' tendency to see rock at the center of the narrative of popular music.

As it concerns me, this isn't true. To my ear, rock music and its myriad sub-forms are easily among the most derivative and superfluous genres - the music couldn't exist without the development of other, more basic (and to my palate, more favorable) music forms. Shit - Bob Dylan is part and parcel of this. Dylan was merely an extention of older folkies that went on to co-opt a co-opted music. I am not suggesting that Dylan was some messiah of music. The man is nonetheless one of the central artists of the past 50 years. Dylan was large in his day; he superceded/sublimated the labels of "rock" and "folk" and/or "protest music". Hell, I like his Guthrie rip-offs, false voice and all, the most. I'm not being a Whitey romanticist when I say that his presence in our music today is inescapable.

I will say that my fault here was in assuming (and I mean this absolutely without bile and only at face value) that folks on SoulStrut are still here primarily to share their deep knowledge of music and desire to learn more. That was my belief when I started up here in 2003 or so, when ludicrous hunks of information were being freely traded by people in the know, and I was l fortunate enough to remora some of them away for myself. I am coming to know that I unwittingly attacked a person who ostensibly desires to know little more than hip-hop and is secure in his present state. You know - that's completely his call. Either way, I'll admit that my reading of the function of this site is skewed and is the contextual source for my bleating.

I'm sorry that you folks had to slog through my compost in this thread. I'm really not a mean fellow. The timing was wrong, was all. I do bristle a bit at being slandered as a Cracker Colonialist, though. What the hell was that about?

• Rock music is the central narrative of American popular music, although it seems to be fading nowadays.