graphic help!! Illustrator/photoshop help!

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Ok, so I am in the process of a big remodel and I need to draft detailed plans of a hood for an outdoor fireplace which will be welded out of wrought iron. The question is, is there an easy way to do 3-D objects in illustrator? I took drafting in junior high and remember how to draw plans (thanks LAUSD!) but I am having a hard time doing perspective stuff in illustrator. Any transform tricks for making cubes etc. will be really helpful. Could use photoshop as well. holla!thanks in advance, the s one w

Comments

• I think you are going to have to get a 3d modeler to do that. There is a free open source one out there that is supposed to be pretty good, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me....

(ps - if you aren't down for hole hunting friday thats cool, I gots a piano to work on)

• Oh shit sorry dude I totally forgot to respond. Yeah, I'm crushed over here with work, plus the remodel is killing me. The good news is I finished the worlds biggest expedit build. It holds 11,000 LPS. hell yeah. Rolling library ladder too.
    I'll call you on friday and we can build on tools.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    I think you are going to have to get a 3d modeler to do that. There is a free open source one out there that is supposed to be pretty good, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me....
    Blender might be the program you are thinking of. The on-site tutorials might prove extremely helpful, especially if you have some drafting experience.

• I think you are going to have to get a 3d modeler to do that. There is a free open source one out there that is supposed to be pretty good, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me....
    Blender might be the program you are thinking of. The on-site tutorials might prove extremely helpful, especially if you have some drafting experience.

BLENDER! Thats the one. I downloaded it, ran it, and said "DAMN THAT LOOKS COMPLICATED." Filed it under 'stuff I plan on learning someday'.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    You could try Google SketchUp also

http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

(ps - if you aren't down for hole hunting friday thats cool

*PASUE*???

• You could try Google SketchUp also

JEEZUS YOU JUST CHANGED MY LIFE!
    thanks man!

• scrimboscrimbo 49 Posts
    Ok, so I am in the process of a big remodel and I need to draft detailed plans of a hood for an outdoor fireplace which will be welded out of wrought iron.

The question is, is there an easy way to do 3-D objects in illustrator? I took drafting in junior high and remember how to draw plans (thanks LAUSD!) but I am having a hard time doing perspective stuff in illustrator. Any transform tricks for making cubes etc. will be really helpful. Could use photoshop as well.

holla!

thanks in advance, the s one w

There is an extrude and bevel effect in the later versions of illustrator (8 onwards maybe), this can create regular shapes super fast ... Maybe that may be of some use.

Check it out HERE

• (ps - if you aren't down for hole hunting friday thats cool

*PASUE*???

REEEEEWIND....

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    You could try Google SketchUp also

thanks man!

Let me know how that works out for you. I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet.

• I tried sketchup, and it was fun at first, but then I had a hard time trying to get it to do actually do what I wanted it to do. It seemed more like a toy, but it was probably more like USER ERROR.

• You could try Google SketchUp also

thanks man!

Let me know how that works out for you. I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet.

So within three hours I picked it up mad good. Outputed all my Cad-esq drawings and they are currently in production as we speak!

WORD UP. bout to start drawing mad plans on fools. Whole house gonna be wrought iron and copper. Illustrator couldn't touch this.

Seriouslly

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    That's hot thes!! You are like a super genius or something.

• The good news is I finished the worlds biggest expedit build. It holds 11,000 LPS. hell yeah. Rolling library ladder too.

Picture request please. I would love to see this. Is it actually constructed out of expedits, or did you build something else?