Comments

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    Ask her if she likes Bubbles & Squeak.

haha yeah.

fake Brit accents vs. fake ghetto American accents

DISCUSS

Or fake southern accents.

Who the hell does that?

I've heard of people who hide their southern accent to help them succeed (I think Steven Colbert is one of them). And I know some people who pick up that accent when they move to the south, but I don't think I've ever heard of somebody just faking a southern accent. I wonder what the motivation would be?

one of the first times i went to NYC, these girls were just rolling laughing at everything i said... finally, i asked what the deal was, and the girl told me, "you're the biggest hick i've ever met, but don't worry about it, the south is in right now"... so i guess somebody like that might fake an accent depending on what region is "in right now"

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I messed around with an (American) girl in high school who had this weird undefinable accent with British undertones. Shit was way sexy but she was a total loon.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Who the hell does that?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Ask her if she likes Bubbles & Squeak.

haha yeah.

fake Brit accents vs. fake ghetto American accents

DISCUSS

Or fake southern accents.

Who the hell does that?

I've heard of people who hide their southern accent to help them succeed (I think Steven Colbert is one of them). And I know some people who pick up that accent when they move to the south, but I don't think I've ever heard of somebody just faking a southern accent. I wonder what the motivation would be?

I'd say that the fake southern accent could become the new fake ghetto American accent. And fake New York accents are on a parallel decline with east coast rap.

• My best friend Brandon grew up his whole life in Texas and doesn't have an accent. I've asked him why and he says he doesn't know. Thats odd.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    My best friend Brandon grew up his whole life in Texas and doesn't have an accent. I've asked him why and he says he doesn't know. Thats odd.

Whenever I watch "King Of The Hill" & they have a character that doesn't have a southern accent, I feel like its symbolic.

• Of what?

My best friend Brandon grew up his whole life in Texas and doesn't have an accent. I've asked him why and he says he doesn't know. Thats odd.

Whenever I watch "King Of The Hill" & they have a character that doesn't have a southern accent, I feel like its symbolic.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

and Elijah Wood
    :

Wasn't that in a movie, though?

wasn't that in any american movie that takes place anywhere but in the good ol U S of A?

has any of yous seen mystery men? that movie rules and i really love the blue raja.

mystery men was the shit! "i will keep dreaming, i will keep dreaming and when i wake up, you better.... you better hope that you're asleep!!! sweet dreams, lilac!"

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Well, I find when a character on the show doesn't have a southern accent, its deliberate. Usually, they either defy the values of Hank & his buddies or are kinda mean or flakey. Its gotta mean something.

Of what?

• A lot of people tell me that I really dont have a southern accent..after living down here my whole life. I think I just phased it out or something as I grew up so I didnt end up sounding like my family.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    EVERYONE STOP QUOTING O-DUB STYLE!!!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

yes
    i
    am

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

this guy's accent too

project runway headz know the deal

• Wow, I never really watched the show enough to notice. INTENSE!

Well, I find when a character on the show doesn't have a southern accent, its deliberate. Usually, they either defy the values of Hank & his buddies or are kinda mean or flakey. Its gotta mean something.

Of what?

wait... aren't you canadian!?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yes, but I'm good at spotting this kind of ish.

Wow, I never really watched the show enough to notice. INTENSE!

Of what?

wait... aren't you canadian!?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i dated a girl from westchester who did a year at oxford and spoke like a "normal"
    white girl from the cheese[westchester] before she left for the UK.

I caught up with her by chance.... post oxford in a bar one night and i was suprised that she had aquired a british accent.
    At first I thought she was kidding around,but after 10-15 minutes it seemed like she was serious.

my WTF LIGHT WENT OFF!!

Being a bit brash and confrontational by nature ....and a bit buzzed
    I continuously began to laugh in her face and goofed on her until she eventually left the bar in tears.

hahahaha oh fookin' well

years later i heard she lost the accent

Blood Pudding

PS
    no major loss -as nature would have it........ she had a stinky one

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    My father comes from the uk, and my grandma still has her accent after 50 years... it makes me wonder how people manage to pick them up in three months.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    So, fellows like this?

I've yet to come across the faux-anglais head.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Being a bit brash and confrontational by nature

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    that are serious. have you encountered one? i'm kinda intrigued by this one i'm sitting by because she looks like one of the girls in that THE HILLS thread anna posted. she's tan, blonde, wearing a white tank top and flip flops and i almost collided with her ice coffee drink when i got up earlier.

Sorry did not even bother to read the replys for this post.....but anyone who speaks with a fake accent (and a british one for that matter) is a DAMN FOOL!!!!! Who probably is'nt that far away from a beatin'

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    I had a "fake british accent" before starting high school. It was from having an english speech therapist. Didn't go down too well so I had to dirty up my accent and indulge my inner ocker.

I was helped by the fact that my parent decided they'd had enough of me for awhile and sending me out to Winton (very middle of Queensland) to cattle drive for a summer. Those dudes are as Australian as it gets.

It's funny to me that when Americans try to do Australian accents (on reality TV shows mostly), they come out sounding british... but lower class british, which is really where our roots are.

Why anyone would think sending criminals to a tropical climate would be a punishment to anyone from ol' blighty beats me.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    So, fellows like this?

no it was very sing-songy like an exaggerated cockney accent. straight "my fair lady" style. i swear i heard it breaking more than a few times and her pronunciation of words everyday words like "can't" and "have" were inconsistent. i'm gonna find out more tomorrow where she's from.

• So, fellows like this?

no it was very sing-songy like an exaggerated cockney accent. straight "my fair lady" style. i swear i heard it breaking more than a few times and her pronunciation of words everyday words like "can't" and "have" were inconsistent. i'm gonna find out more tomorrow where she's from.

For example, if she were to say "H"ave (i.e. with the "Aitch") yet claim to be all Cockney and such, then she is for sure a fugazi. No East Lahndahner worth his or her jellied eels would be seen "Saarf uv the River" pronouncing the 'aitches' in their 'aves.

Spitting's too good for 'em.

J

Does she pronounce "think" as "fink?"

As in, "What you fink, I'm a right nutter?"

• Does she pronounce "think" as "fink?"

As in, "What you fink, I'm a right nutter?"

I have a friend from Essex who can't pronounce his "thr"s. In that he would have to refer to the number 3 (phonically) as "that integer between two and four" (as in, not free as in beer, but three as in trilogy).

Go figure.
    He didn't wash his drawers neither. We had a washing machine, too. And he'd wash his work shirts. That was the weird thing. That one always troubled me.

-J

• Ask her the name of that one beach resort city in Spain. You know, the one with all the discos?

If she's really cockney, she'll say Eye-BEEF-er.

And you'll be free to laugh your ass off, just like I did when I heard someone say it.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    A piece of total class from one of the UK's best ever comedy shows;

• Why anyone would think sending criminals to a tropical climate would be a punishment to anyone from ol' blighty beats me.

you should read this book if you haven't already - perhaps you're being facetious but things weren't nearly as 'sweet' as you imply ..