People who speak with a fake british accent

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
that are serious. have you encountered one? i'm kinda intrigued by this one i'm sitting by because she looks like one of the girls in that THE HILLS thread anna posted. she's tan, blonde, wearing a white tank top and flip flops and i almost collided with her ice coffee drink when i got up earlier.

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    post a phone pic or youre soft.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    blimey!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    oooh! that might be doable

i was wishing i had a tape recorder though

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts

no video on your cell?

• hey, australians are people too!

speak to her in British slang, and see
    if she understands you!

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    I met one recently at a party at Chateau Marmont. Not only did she rock the super fake accent, but she went as far as to talk about growing up there and the differences 'tween it and 'merica. I pretended like i had some authority on the matter and grilled her about england. She got super nervous and bounced. I went home alone.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    You mean like Madonna and Angelina Jolie?

• I wish I could fake a british accent. but when I try I sound like the 'australian' in that de la skit in 3 ft. "very glad to be here!". that guy.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

no video on your cell?

nope and the camera quality is so bad

so she got up for a bathroom break and i was lurking in the hall hoping i could at least get the back of her when she came out but she's crazy fast. i can't get a shot of her in the office because the door is only slightly ajar.

we are all waiting for her to say something like RIGHTY-O GUV'NER! it just seems to exaggerated and pretentious. like the Orbitz commercial lady

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    You mean like Madonna and Angelina Jolie?

and Elijah Wood

and Elijah Wood
    :

Wasn't that in a movie, though?

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    But surely stopping in a Heathrow airport lounge for 45 minutes is enough to give you an accent isn't it?

I fucking hate them, so pretentious. I live in a yuppie suburb in Australia and there's lots of it.

• has any of yous seen mystery men? that movie rules and i really love the blue raja.

Tell her she "looks like a jamrag" and make it
    sound like a compliment ... if she thanks you,
    she's a total fraud!

oh, and, um, she might punch you in the face ...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Ask her if she likes Bubbles & Squeak.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

and Elijah Wood
    :

Wasn't that in a movie, though?

Maybe, but he's been rocking the faux accent in interviews for years.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

haha yeah.

fake Brit accents vs. fake ghetto American accents

DISCUSS

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    have you encountered one?

I've worked with 2.

One had that Soulmarkossa/the Verve haircut, wore Beatle boots, and was my boss for 3 years.

The other used to invite me to Northern Soul nights in Hollywood after work.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I know a record dealer who fakes a British accent. It will shift to different parts of England too. I don't know if I pity him or if I'm intrigued with his dementia. My sister says her friends said he was from Ohio, went to school abroad for a semester in England, came back, and kept the accent.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

haha yeah.

DISCUSS

Or fake southern accents.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    that are serious. have you encountered one? i'm kinda intrigued by this one i'm sitting by because she looks like one of the girls in that THE HILLS thread anna posted. she's tan, blonde, wearing a white tank top and flip flops and i almost collided with her ice coffee drink when i got up earlier.

• there was this kid greg that went to my church and everyone used to kick his ass cuz he had a fake british accent. turns out he had a speech impediment. in my defense though he had a rob roskopp skateboard with a scooter handle drilled into the front truckplate.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    turns out he had a speech impediment.

I know a guy from here who sounds like he's from New England, but he has a speech impediment.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I know a record dealer who fakes a British accent. It will shift to different parts of England too. I don't know if I pity him or if I'm intrigued with his dementia. My sister says her friends said he was from Ohio, went to school abroad for a semester in England, came back, and kept the accent.

This may actually be THE move for a record dealer.....

Americans go nuts for any accent but turn on a Brit accent and they'll GIVE you their records.

I have an English buddy in Austin and when we go digging it's amazing how he can get into places where I've struck out.

One time we were schmoozing this guy and he asks "Is that an Australian accent" and my buddy says "Yep".

Later on I asked him why he said yes and he said he would any damn thing the guy wanted to hear as long as we got to go through his vinyl!!

• Ask her if she likes Bubbles & Squeak.

haha yeah.

DISCUSS

Who the hell does that?

I've heard of people who hide their southern accent to help them succeed (I think Steven Colbert is one of them). And I know some people who pick up that accent when they move to the south, but I don't think I've ever heard of somebody just faking a southern accent. I wonder what the motivation would be?

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts

i know a couple of those, too... went for a semester, and talk with the accent and say shit like "americans are so ignorant" and shit like that... i even heard one of them tell a dude at a bar one night she was from london... had to call her out on that one... "bitch, you're from goldsboro, north carolina!"... she was less than psyched

Who the hell does that?

haha yeah.

DISCUSS

Who the hell does that?

I've heard of people who hide their southern accent to help them succeed (I think Steven Colbert is one of them). And I know some people who pick up that accent when they move to the south, but I don't think I've ever heard of somebody just faking a southern accent. I wonder what the motivation would be?

ive heard old white folks do this when theyre trying to tom each other out.

haha yeah.

DISCUSS

Who the hell does that?

ive heard old white folks do this when theyre trying to tom each other out.

say what?