I know it's fashionable to hate on the new Common

2»

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    [Deej] NOT "BLACK ENOUGH [/Deej]
    thats pretty weak dude, when the fuck have i ever said anything remotely resembling this

My problem w/ common has nothing to do w/ how black i think he is or isn't and everything to do with how utterly subpar garbage shit like 'that astronaut lady' line are

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    [Deej] NOT "BLACK ENOUGH [/Deej]
    thats pretty weak dude, when the fuck have i ever said anything remotely resembling this

My problem w/ common has nothing to do w/ how black i think he is or isn't and everything to do with how utterly subpar garbage shit like 'that astronaut lady' line are

You know what this beef reminds me of?

IT'S KINDA LIKE "THE BREAKUP" WITH JEN AND VINCE VAUGHAN

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ARE REESE AND RYAN STILL TOGETHER??? I'LL CHECK FINDING FOREVER

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Yea and he's Jen...lol.

Common not black enough...that's funny.
    Dude was so pro-black in the 90's that he was refusing to hear beats from whiteys and was refusing conversations with whiteys based on the fact that they was Evil representation. He and Lauryn Hill even did some bold statements (off record) at that time. When they did the record "9 months...", they was both on some "white people are the devil" shit and Common had to dodge some situations. Example : a white euro journalist asked him about his experience with this cuban female writer that he discovered, met and felt for. But dude didn't want to answer the question because the itwer was white and he tought that was a "black experience" not to be shared with "anyone" (anyone=whites). Now don't get me wrong, i don't really care about that. Especially coming from light-skined bro like him. They had been oppressed by their own for being light-skined, and by the whites for being black. I can understand the hate they grow on...At the end of the day, he chooses his camp. Needless to say, rejection in his purest form is a consequence. I had many friends in NY like him. They grew up an ended up thinking that it's better to infiltrate the beast and make some profits out of it. I guess Common realized that too. He's less of an asshole nowadays. But i don't like his songs as much as when he was an asshole. Which brings me to a point : should you stay an asshole and make good music or should you elevate your mind and give birth to ghey albums??? (knowing that you still could be an asshole and make ghey albums too!).

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I will say that this album as a whole is pretty garbage (particularly the lyrics -Com what happened?).

But this track on its own has a nice vibe to me. Can???t explain it - kind of a Blondie/Kufi rap mash-up.

EXACTLY! (is that Jeru?)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Which brings me to a point : should you stay an asshole and make good music or should you elevate your mind and give birth to ghey albums??? (knowing that you still could be an asshole and make ghey albums too!).

• Kanye sonned him on the beats, but the album still has it's moments.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    "On the treadmill like OK-Go..."

• Yea and he's Jen...lol.

Common not black enough...that's funny.
    Dude was so pro-black in the 90's that he was refusing to hear beats from whiteys and was refusing conversations with whiteys based on the fact that they was Evil representation. He and Lauryn Hill even did some bold statements (off record) at that time. When they did the record "9 months...", they was both on some "white people are the devil" shit and Common had to dodge some situations. Example : a white euro journalist asked him about his experience with this cuban female writer that he discovered, met and felt for. But dude didn't want to answer the question because the itwer was white and he tought that was a "black experience" not to be shared with "anyone" (anyone=whites). Now don't get me wrong, i don't really care about that. Especially coming from light-skined bro like him. They had been oppressed by their own for being light-skined, and by the whites for being black. I can understand the hate they grow on...At the end of the day, he chooses his camp. Needless to say, rejection in his purest form is a consequence. I had many friends in NY like him. They grew up an ended up thinking that it's better to infiltrate the beast and make some profits out of it. I guess Common realized that too. He's less of an asshole nowadays. But i don't like his songs as much as when he was an asshole. Which brings me to a point : should you stay an asshole and make good music or should you elevate your mind and give birth to ghey albums??? (knowing that you still could be an asshole and make ghey albums too!).

You're a trip!

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    being that I really did not expect much from Common or really any rap albums these days this album was better than average. Not to say it doesn't put me to sleep, but it meets the normal 3 good tracks on the album that has become a staple of most major rap releases. The reason its number one is that they went after the tarbuck crowd and are winning with that. The same people that made Amy Winehouse popular are at supporting thsi album. Let me add that women in general love this album.

The UGK is pretty dope for a double album, A little long, but overall considering how bad most double album attempts turn out this was excellent.

"On the treadmill like OK-Go..."

File under: been living in LA too long.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    One of the best rap albums of the year for sure.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Aren't you late for Pilates?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I wont go that far.

But Ill ride for this album. 7.0.

Dude needs to get AWAY from Kanye after this.

He doesnt need to do another RESS.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I wont go that far.

But Ill ride for this album. 7.0.

exactly.

I was gonna say, some folks left me dying in this thread. I thought for sure O-Dub would have my back!

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

feeling it... mostly

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

feeling it... mostly

I'm sorry the more I look at that cover and album title, the more I think.....DAMN that is a lame cover and album title.

• The more I hear this record the more I think about cancelling my order for it on vinyl.

I think the Lily Allen track will go down well in the bar I play at, but I could live without this album.
    'Be' was much better.