RESEALS

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I just opened a sealed record that had fingerprints all over it! WTF

Comments

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

The work of a sloppy pressing plant worker?

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    That's seriously fucked up!

• Doubt it, the seal was down the middle and it is a 1976 release.

I've opened sealed records with trashed or entirely different records inside before.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    we just got a shit-ton of those exploito records on Somerset that were sealed, had old dollar price tags on them...cracked a couple open, scratches and shit all over them!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Here's a good sealed or better record story.

I bought a sealed copy of the rock group "Murphy's Law" a long time ago. I open it, the record had no inner sleeve, was scratched, and was warped to the point of being unplayable.

Don't say record people don't have a sense of irony or humor.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    back when I worked for Penny Lane records they would tell us to reseal clean records

mos def

• JERRY DODDS[/b]

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

JERRY DODDS[/b]

This dude!

• I've encountered a few scams of that sort. Diggers are gonna have to start looking into some serious Vinyl DNA Analysis Kits. People are equipped with sealer machines and they aren't afraid to hurt you.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Damn!!! the game keeps getting Fu***'d up!!!!
    What's next....glueing cracked or broken records back together & selling them.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Damn!!! the game keeps getting Fu***'d up!!!!
    What's next....glueing cracked or broken records back together & selling them.

This is funny shit......just last week a big time collector contacted me and asked if I could get him a specific solvent that had been banned for use some years back. He explained that a friend of his could repair broken records using this solvent(Trichloroethane 1,1,1)

In Texas the King of Reseals was one Les Harris!!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    ive seen many sealed records that were sealed OVER cut out holes or saw marks .... say wha? nagl.

but interestingly, ive bought several like that just because the price was right and crossed my fingers and opened them - it was clear the records were unplayed but someone (maybe way back when) resealed them for a discount/cut out chain or something.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I was fired from a record store job for refusing to reseal records.

Shit, this was '92.

Resealing is just pure bullshit. No way to possibly justify doing it.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I know in Canada they stopped using inner sleeves at one point in the 70's to cut costs. There are a few Canadian pressings that are next to impossible to find without issues because the records were scratchy when sold back then. It's not uncommon for me to find a Canadian pressing on Capitol etc... that is sealed yet in VG condition from surface marks due to the way they inserted the lp's back then without sleeves. I got these direct from a Capitol A&R who was selling his collection up here a while back and he told me about this. This isn't a reseal issue, but some people assume that is what went on. A decent example would be the Canadian/Montreal pressing of the second Axis lp. It's usually covered with surface marks, even when found sealed in a stock warehouse. I've had a few, never had one in perfect shape.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    so how do these nefarious charecters re seal said waxes?
    with a special nefarious evil re-sealing machine i reckon?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    people seem to assume that records are immaculately conceived inside a shrinkwrapped cover.
    from footage I've seen, vinyl is often just stacked sleeveless after it's first pressed, then somebody has to put the record in an inner sleeve & stuff it inside a jacket, then factory seal it - voila! 'sealed or better'

---

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    One of the last (fairly newly released) sealed records I bought had a rather large dirty footprint on one side.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    One of the last (fairly newly released) sealed records I bought had a rather large footprint on one side.

a shoe print? or a footprint with toes & everything?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    One of the last (fairly newly released) sealed records I bought had a rather large footprint on one side.

a shoe print? or a footprint with toes & everything?

haha! yeah, it was a shoe. It basically looked like it had fallen on the ground, been stepped on, and then "oh there it is" was stuffed in a sleeve. Had to have happened in the pressing plant.

• JERRY DODDS[/b]

This dude!

The king of this shit!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    so how do these nefarious charecters re seal said waxes?
    with a special nefarious evil re-sealing machine i reckon?

Probably record store employees with access to a shrink machine. Or shrink material and a hair dryer. It's not that difficult to figure out.

Re: seals over cut outs/hole punches, I wondered about that too. Seams like a waste of money to shrink wrap a promo in the first place since it's not going on a shelf. Sealed promos are probably more likely to be extra copies that made it to a budget bin somewhere, and while still unplayed, the store seals them to protect from damage while on the shelf. That makes sense.

Malicious resealing of an obviously played and worn record is just wrong though. Especially if its being marketed as "still sealed" and unopened.