edited August 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

somebodys gotta do it

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    who's got a stressful job?

ako

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Whoever is unfortunate enough to work in a foster home. I've had lots of shit jobs, but that is by far the most enduring (still haunts me) of terrible stress-only jobs.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I quit my job yesterday

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I quit my job yesterday

My hero.

I just moved back to NY - so I'm broke basically. Now I find myself as a freelance Web producer. Sounds cool on paper- but man there's just so much involved??? And for waht? Asprin web banners? So may people stressing is giving me an ulcer. I'm appreciative for the work, but sometimes I just want to make less and do some simple things.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I'm a bartender--I like my job.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I just started running a department with about 7 people. 3 of them called out sick today on some bullshit. Heads will roll on Monday.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I just started running a department with about 7 people. 3 of them called out sick today on some bullshit. Heads will roll on Monday.

Sorry man!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I work in an industry fueled by ego

and I gave up recreational drug use

I feel like Lloyd Bridges in Airplane now

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I work in a an industry fueled by ego

and I gave up recreational drug use

I feel like Lloyd Bridges in Airplane now

"I picked the wrong week to quit smoking ciggarettes!"

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    i had a stressful job...

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    i had a stressful job...

I had a really stressful job for about 4 days, then I quit it.
    I received an offer from another company for about 12K more, so I put in my notice at my current job. 4 days into the new place I am on my second 13 hour day in a row. I left early on the 5th day and worked out a counter offer from my current job that made coming back a lot easier. Feels good to go home at 5.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I work at a hotel that's dangerously mismanaged. June was an awful month, place full like shit and everything going wrong. Seriously stressful but luckily it got a bit better. Now I'm quitting at the end of the month and looking forward to unemployment mixed with music making and the occasional DJing gig!

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I quit my job yesterday

My hero.

yeah... been here 4 years and next week will be my last. Told my new job I had to give 2 weeks notice and told the old job I had to start at the other asap and could only work a little over one week, thereby buying myself a 5 day weekend. as a web "producer" myself, thought about freelance but I think I might have to work for the man for another few years. Does seem stressful have to be the sole graphic designer, developer, AND salesman.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    DESK JOBS SUCK.

• DESK JOBS SUCK.
    I used to think this until, I got my current job...I have my own cubicle, play on the internet all day, field an occasional phone call and talk to people about how to acoustically treat their home studios, come in anytime betwee 8:00-9:00 take around an hour or more for lunch and leave around 5:00...pretty damn sweet, stressful jobs get the gasface!

• i love my job, but the pay is atrocious. i put inridiculous hours and get all kinds of commendations (best year-round youthworks program in the city trophy, yesterday) but nothing on the salary end. i got a 2% "raise" last year.

they are designing a new position for me in the fall, which in some ways is exactly what i want to do. was hoping to get a raise with the new responsibilities...found out today, nope.

so sadly, thinking of moving on. very very conflicted right now.
    but my friends shake their heads when they hear what i am paid and i wonder if i'm being a fool.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I'm a "Banker".
    Customers are assholes.
    We deal with smaller banks, providing services for them and they shitty money that clerks seem to strap up incorrectly. Plus, we audit banks that are short on deposits.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I work in music management with an incredible workload. It's basically 24/7 but it's what I've wanted for a long long time.
    I call it "good stress"

• i'm a bond trader. i doubt anyone anywhere has a job that's much more stressful than mine. i can't even begin to articulate what we go through ... but believe me, it's tough. luckily i'm healthy, typically exercise a lot (although i just had surgery so temporarily out of commission), have low blood pressure, etc., and have cut back a lot on the drinking and drugs ... but i still get horrible spells of work-related anxiety, insomnia ... i'm the champ at waking up at 1 o'clock in the morning and sitting in my apartment waiting for the trading day to arrive. it's a rewarding job for the most part but i wouldnt wish this lifestyle on anybody. i don't even know how i deal with it. i'm a really low key person so it's kind of an odd fit but i do pretty well with it i suppose .... but i can't imagine doing this for more than 5-10 years until i either change careers altogether or take a dramatic step back. it's just way too much for any normal person to handle for an extended period of time.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    i'm a bond trader. i doubt anyone anywhere has a job that's much more stressful than mine. i can't even begin to articulate what we go through ... but believe me, it's tough. luckily i'm healthy, typically exercise a lot (although i just had surgery so temporarily out of commission), have low blood pressure, etc., and have cut back a lot on the drinking and drugs ... but i still get horrible spells of work-related anxiety, insomnia ... i'm the champ at waking up at 1 o'clock in the morning and sitting in my apartment waiting for the trading day to arrive. it's a rewarding job for the most part but i wouldnt wish this lifestyle on anybody. i don't even know how i deal with it. i'm a really low key person so it's kind of an odd fit but i do pretty well with it i suppose .... but i can't imagine doing this for more than 5-10 years until i either change careers altogether or take a dramatic step back. it's just way too much for any normal person to handle for an extended period of time.

FadedG,

One in the morning, that early?! I forget, were you an individual investor or is this your routine before you even head to the office/trading floor?

• no, i'm not an individual investor - i work for a firm that's involved in government bonds, energy, equity indices, grains, and whatever other futures product we feel like trading. i usually get to the office around 7 or 7:30 or so but because of my general level of restlessness and anxiety i'm often awake well before then .. 1 o'clock is a bit of an extreme but 3-4 is pretty normal. as i type this i'm still a little nervous and physically tense from today .... it's just nuts out there right now. about to have a beer or six to take the edge off. that's a pretty typical day - it takes three beers just to get yourself back to a normal, relaxed state. hypertension like a motherfucker.

so i'm not an investor at all, just a straight up high volume trader. someday i'll "graduate" to holding positions longer-term and will leave the in/out shit behind - i aspire to be somewhere in between a trader and an investor, a "trend follower" so to speak - but until then it's going to be insanity every day. it's a great education though, a real trial by fire, and it's also been particularly tense since the stocks fell out .. .big shit goings on right now

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    i doubt anyone anywhere has a job that's much more stressful than mine.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    i love my job, but the pay is atrocious. i put inridiculous hours and get all kinds of commendations (best year-round youthworks program in the city trophy, yesterday) but nothing on the salary end. i got a 2% "raise" last year.

they are designing a new position for me in the fall, which in some ways is exactly what i want to do. was hoping to get a raise with the new responsibilities...found out today, nope.

so sadly, thinking of moving on. very very conflicted right now.
    but my friends shake their heads when they hear what i am paid and i wonder if i'm being a fool.

It's tough trying to work with kids and make any kind of decent money. Whatever you choose, much respect to everything you have already done.

I love my job. Played sports all day today with middle school kids. Sure, I wish I got paid like my brother who gets paid bank by a startup to design random t-shirts and banners that they rarely use, but you can't think just in terms of the money.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

somebodys gotta do it

why does everybody act like this is not creepy?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I used to think this until, I got my current job...I have my own cubicle, play on the internet all day, field an occasional phone call and talk to people about how to acoustically treat their home studios, come in anytime betwee 8:00-9:00 take around an hour or more for lunch and leave around 5:00...pretty damn sweet, stressful jobs get the gasface!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    My job is mega stressful. Especially this week. I have one of those jobs that have no room for error. I'm giving myself another year here and then I'm bailing ship for a year off in Europe.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    i love my job, but the pay is atrocious. i put inridiculous hours and get all kinds of commendations (best year-round youthworks program in the city trophy, yesterday) but nothing on the salary end. i got a 2% "raise" last year.
    Tony,
    Even if doing what you do doesn't bring in the money that you deserve, the work that you are doing is indispensable. Its long term value to the youth of this city is going to be felt for years to come wherever those kids go. You get serious, serious respect from me and I'm positive I'm not the only one that feels that way.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    as a web "producer" myself, thought about freelance but I think I might have to work for the man for another few years. Does seem stressful have to be the sole graphic designer, developer, AND salesman.
    I had to break through that kind of worry myself, but what I've realized is that most people outside of the industry think that everything you do with a webpage is magic. The biggest details for them usually require the smallest amount of workload. The biggest pains in the ass are always the older marketing people who don't have a clue how the web works, or even worse, don't THINK that the web works, but know that it's a requirement.

It is stressful, but I've never had a job that has been more personally challenging in a fulfilling sort of way. It makes it all worthwhile for me.

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    Gotta rule with an iron fist.