REP YOUR PETS!

Comments

• favorite flower of mine:

Wow, is this some type of an orchid?

yes. it's an orchid. growing in germany. ophrys apifera. the flower is usually appealing to insects. some orchids mimic females with their colors and shape. ophrys apifera is so rare, just because hardly any insects are being attracted to the flower. it doesn't really look like a specific insect. although you can imagine that an insect would see some legs at the side of the flower. blablabla...

Cool, I got to show the pic to my lady. She's crazy about those things. We got about 13 strains in our crib and I'm starting to get the fascination too.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    my wife an i alway had a strict "no kids, no pets" agreement.
    a year and a half ago, we left out house for three days of beach and fun on one of the islands. when leaving our compound, i noticed a small puppy sitting next to the gate. when i looked closer, i noticed that behind the little dog, there were two more little puppies curled up in the dirt. it looked like the larger one was sitting there, guarding them. most people in guinea hate dogs, mostly probably out of fear of diseases but in such a dog-eat-dog world where everyday survival is a challenge for most people, i guess there is just not too much compassion left for other beings. it was clear that these three doggies were abandoned and destined to die. i decided to not think about it and we continued to the fishing port where we boarded a small boat that took us to the island.

three days later in the evening, we arrived back home and there were still two of the dogs left in front of the gate. i just couldn't stand the sight and after a short discussion with my wife we decided to take them in.

the two were in horrible shape. they literally had hundreds of fleas each, there were fleas everywhere, they were even crawling in and out of their eyes, it was disgusting. i put them in a basket and sent my wife to the pharmacy to get some sort of flea powder. i almost had to cry looking at those dogs, they were so close to death and their eyes were fogged over and it was just heartbreaking. some while later, my wife got back from the pharmacy and informed me that flea powder was sold out. she also had another little dog in her hands, the third puppy had stumbled in front of the car on the way back, trying to find its siblings.

i sprayed them with roach spray, thoroughly rinsed them in the shower and put them back in the basket. soon after, ridiculous amounts of dead fleas were falling through the baskets cracks. i scooped them up by the handful and dumped them in the toilet.

multiple trips to the vet and several pounds of chopped beef fillet later, it was clear that they would all three pull through. i can't even put it in words how much i love those fucking dogs and of course we totally spoil them, they exclusively get fed on home cooked food and even have their own sofa next to ours where they love to sit in the evening and watch movies with us.

this first picture was shot on the first evening

this is how they look now:
    from left to right: sumba, lola, coco

this is their house:

and this is them chilling on the sofa:

• some more orchids that i've seen this year:

boring ones

really exciting ones:
    these three are all the same species. very different shapes. seen on malta.

one of my favorites. almost as beautiful as the apifera.

called monkey orchid. can you see why? i don't know if this is the real one though.

rarest of the rare:
    i found this. my professor almost passed out when i showed it to him.

other stuff:
    Fire lily. Really rare too.

strange fly. it flew against my head and landed there.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    My boy, Royal.

Lulu.

• My boy, Royal.

Lulu.

has your cat ever been tempted?

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    This little black bug lived in the bottom of my pond for about a year. I guess you could call him a pet. One day he came out of the water, started swelling until he busted his seams, and out of him came this giant pink beast.

The soft pink dragonfly just sat on the old bug shell for the next day and eventually turned into this before he flew away:

• look here. i took pictures of a dragonfly too ^^

my camera is not that good though.

• great thread, I will be posting up some pics of mine when i get home from work today.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    My boy, Royal.

You really have a chameleon?
    Not sure I'd be able to take care of one of them, but I've always thought they looked cool. Does it live in a proper vivarium? What's the maintenance like on him?

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Wow. That's the second time I've ever seen that happen.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Meet Pickles.

Pickles' hand style is mad decent.

Our 4-month-old cat Wanderlei:

oh no you didn't.

• Our 4-month-old cat Wanderlei:

oh no you didn't.

U AWREADY KNO.

Little dude pulls guard often and is very active. The name fits.

Our 4-month-old cat Wanderlei:

oh no you didn't.

U AWREADY KNO.

Little dude pulls guard often and is very active. The name fits.

how are his clinch and sprawl?

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

Alex Trebek. Borrowed image, but he pretty much looks exactly like that.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I actually don't have him any more. He was my only reptile, and a friend really wanted him, so I passed him on. He lived in a screen cage with a ficus tree in it. Heat lamp and full spectrum lamp on top. The tree has to be misted or sprayed with water in the morning. They won't drink from standing water. I gave him a few crickets every few days. He was pretty cool. I had to go to the pet store for pond supplies and I always stopped to look at this little guy. He was so damn cute, I couldn't pass him up.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

I have a map turtle named Atlas. Not actually a photo of him but he looks like that. I Also have a slider

All the books and sites I've read said not to keep two different species together but these two have lived together in the same tank for 5 years with virtually no beef. (they fight over raw shrimp)
    Just built a pond for them in the backyard so they should be quite happy with their new spot. I just worry about racoons eating them at night.

I want a Ridgeback / Pit mix. That is my fantasy dog.

ps I once had a friend who fed his pitball Creatine!!!! Most yoked/intimidating dog ever!!!

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Wow Frank that is a really moving story! They all look so happy now too.

you did the right thing Frank.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    ^^^^
    Yeah man, compassionstrut in effect!

• newest one of miles

this is lucy. she was not just a dog but a part of our crew. she was super smart and could do all kinds of tricks for treats. if you showed up to the house where she lived she would always be the first person to say what up to you. she passed away about a month ago, she had some kind of blockage in her intestine or soemthing. she had surgery for it and made it through it fine and died after it while the vet left the room for a minute. i miss her and im sad that shes gone

heres some old ones of miles that have been posted before:

• OMG!!!! Fuck records! This is the best thread in the world. I love love love animals. All youalls posts are fantastic.

FRANK! You've warmed my cold cold heart for the week.

Not nearly as dramatic, but we found this guy flea bitten and half starved in our backyard, now he's right at home:

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    this is Vito.

• Frank's story was awesome.

Here's our lil' dudes:

We got them about a year and a half ago from a shelter that takes in feral cats. They had been there for a long time so they already had been named: Ricky and Lucy. Might seem silly but names take. Bro and a sis. Sis is the big girl on the left.

• Frank's story was awesome.

Here's our lil' dudes:[/b]

We got them about a year and a half ago ...

Gene:

Little dudes? Where? Are those obese cats sitting on them?

Kidding - I love fat kitties. In addition to the still-growing one above, I have two other morbidy obese, but deadly cute kitties. I just can't resist giving them all the kibble their greedy little hearts desire!

Frank's story was awesome.

Here's our lil' dudes:[/b]

We got them about a year and a half ago ...

Gene:

Little dudes? Where? Are those obese cats sitting on them?

Kidding - I love fat kitties. In addition to the still-growing one above, I have two other morbidy obese, but deadly cute kitties. I just can't resist giving them all the kibble their greedy little hearts desire!

yeah "little dudes" is a little harsh.

I mean, I know some of these cats have only been on the board since today, but they've already contributed too much to be referred to as little dudes.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Lovin this thread.

Here's a close-up of my Boston Terrier, Maggie

She's the most loving dog I've ever come across.

• this is lucy.
    Flat plastic dude:

Lucy looks like the sweetest pup ever. So sad - her untimely end. I can tell in that picture she's got a super duper personality.

If (when) I get a dog I want it to be just like her (or that pirate dog someone has above).

Puppy luv!

• Lovin this thread.

Here's a close-up of my Boston Terrier, Maggie

She's the most loving dog I've ever come across.

And sweet maggie too! I can't leave any one out. I love you all!

Animals >>>>>>>humans. I don't know if that means I'm autistic or have some personality disorder or some shit. I just see most humans as so worthless. Such useless consumers and babblers (me included). So ugly and selfish. Humans are such evil, ugly, world killing animals. It makes me feel a little nauseaus and panicked.

But all the other species are so damn cute. It feeds your soul just to look at them. Aaaah. Puppies and kitties and guinea pigs and turtles. Aaaaahhh.

• Meet Pickles.

aww i had one of them australian birds. my dude was all yellow with white tips and those rosey cheeks.
    he was my buddy from age 7 thru 14. his name was Tone (Tone-Loc). he did flip tricks and cage grinds for bananas.
    he also likes to whistle out various British King related songs on loop. trained to poop, too.
    he would go inside his cage to use the lou when i turn him loose.

i've switched to cats as i have been fond of many a cats in my life.
    i like dogs but they're much too needy for someone like me.

so here, introducing my 8 month old monkey buddy, miro.

(a.k.a. creampuff, jamie, james, and he may respond to buffalo as well)
    he looks less shaved and ratty than the photo above and he's growing a fine beard.