TEH NEW IMAC

mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
new adhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=uQNGz15OTeEmr jobs press conferencehttp://www.engadget.com/2007/08/07/live-from-apples-summer-mac-product-press-conference/how many of you s will be acquiring one of these "high end consumer products?"

Comments

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

I'm buying a new Mac Pro in October w/the new 24" display. The 30" is a little too big...

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    the only thing stopping me is the glossy screen. "customers love the glossy screen" I can't believe this. I don't know of one single person who likes the glossy screen. Lame.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    the only thing stopping me is the glossy screen. "customers love the glossy screen" I can't believe this. I don't know of one single person who likes the glossy screen. Lame.

Is this the glassy one that came on previous iMacs?

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts

Is this the glassy one that came on previous iMacs?

NO. The previous iMacs had matte screen. The only computer apple has ever released with a glossy screen is (so far) is the macbook laptops. So annoying to constantly have reflections of yourself and lights in the background etc..

Anyone who actually DOES like the glossy screen please chime in accordingly. I'd love to hear some opposing viewpoints.

• muggimuggi Reykjavík, Iceland 44 Posts
    I think its nice

www.apple.com

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

Anyone who actually DOES like the glossy screen please chime in accordingly. I'd love to hear some opposing viewpoints.

To me glossy screens look much better than matte for working on photos or video, more vibrant and color correct if calibrated properly. You just have to have the lighting in your room correct so that you don't get random reflections, which should be pretty easy to do for a desktop computer. For a portable machine I agree, glossy is annoying.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i think it looks like a flat screen tv with that black trim. also is the built-in isight gone?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    the only thing stopping me is the glossy screen.

We have one on my wife's macbook. It really accentuates the kids' greasy fingerprints too.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    i think it looks like a flat screen tv with that black trim. also is the built-in isight gone?

It looks like the cam is hidden in the black trim...

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

It looks like the cam is hidden in the black trim...

ah i see. remember when these things looked cartoony? now they're all streamlined and shit. i kinda liked the lamp one.

anyway, the screen is glass so i'm told. just like the iphone.

• I like the black trim.

and up to 1TB hard drive?

• parenparen 537 Posts

i opted for the glossy on my macbook pro and greatly prefer it to parallel matte versions and my prior g4 powerbook screen, particularly when editing photos in Lightroom / Aperture.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    and up to 1TB hard drive?

the day has come.

i remember the day my dad told me about somebody he knew with a 1GB hard drive...i was like "theres no way you could fill that up..."

how long do you think till 200TB hard drives become affordable/standard? im guessing 2 years. technology's getting ridiculous.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

i opted for the glossy on my macbook pro and greatly prefer it to parallel matte versions and my prior g4 powerbook screen, particularly when editing photos in Lightroom / Aperture.

me too, love the glossyness.

so so glossy.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    the only thing stopping me is the glossy screen.

We have one on my wife's macbook. It really accentuates the kids' greasy fingerprints too.

greasy kid fingerprints will make anything look dumpy. Mabye try covering everything in plastic

• The new iMac is sweet.

But for what it's worth, I was working on an article on the announcements today for a technology-related publication and after they saw it was just an iMac and software refresh, they spiked it.

Not exactly a story as much as the iPhone was.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The new iMac is sweet.

But for what it's worth, I was working on an article on the announcements today for a technology-related publication and after they saw it was just an iMac and software refresh, they spiked it.

Yeah but the iPhone is arguably the most hyped electronic device of the last 10 years (if not more). That's a rather unfair comparison.

Man, I could use a TB hard drive...

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Im with the mac pro team.
    Once all the software runs native. weeeyouuuhhhhhh

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    will have spellcheck.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Overall design looks nice enough, but:

The glare on that sucker is ridiculous. Must be a nightmare to keep clean.

And unlike previous keyboards, these keys are flat. No cradle for your fingertips...

• The new iMac is sweet.

Yeah but the iPhone is arguably the most hyped electronic device of the last 10 years (if not more). That's a rather unfair comparison.

Man, I could use a TB hard drive...

I agree... my editor doesn't

Now Adobe released CS3 I can do most of my work native, except for when I need to use the old ass version of word and excel I have.

BTW Fry's had 500 gig buffalo firewire/USB hard drives for $119 a while back... but I think they're gone...