How Does a Podcast Work?

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I think it would be fun to do a Soul Strut podcast.It sounds like I have all the right tools: a mic,a mixer, and an iMac... a few thousand records.How do I get this shit out there?

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Do it. I have no idea how to answer your question though.

• kojackkojack 42 Posts
    look for a PM.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Step 1) Dump RealPlayer

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

I think it would be fun to do a Soul Strut podcast.

It sounds like I have all the right tools: a mic,a mixer, and an iMac... a few thousand records.

How do I get this shit out there?

i use podomatic.com to host and handle the subscriptions and i know stef does too for vinyl exchange radio. i use the free account though cause i know i'm not going to exceed 15gb per month. if you want to host it yourself you have to author a bunch of techy code that seems daunting and requires some patience

http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/podcaststechspecs.html

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

I use Podcast Maker, and host the podcast myself. This program is a wonder, it makes everything super simple, and I never have to touch code. I use this program every week for my shows enhanced podcast.

-pj

• Do you need a mac to do a podcast or is it possible on a PC as well?

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    you can do a podcast on a pc....i don't know if there are tools like PodcastMaker though.

And, I believe you can only make enhanced podcasts on the mac right now....?

But regular audio-only podcasts can be created by anyone.

-pj

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i never understood the whole 'podcast' thing. isn't it just making an mp3? why the f is it called a podcast? god damn ipod-crazed nation.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i never understood the whole 'podcast' thing. isn't it just making an mp3?

it's not just that. when you subscribe to one, it automatically downloads the latest episode or mix unto your computer in itunes. it kind of works like an rss feed

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Hold up, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast im not being a smartass, its well written.

the name podcast irks me too, its a pre-recorded audio/video file. thats it.

And check out odeo.com, it seems pretty good, although im sure there are a thousand others...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Mine is here, if anyone wishes to download and listen:
    http://booksmusic.podomatic.com

I once thought it had taken a bit more know-how, but all it is is taking a WAV file of a mix or whatever you're doing, converting it to MP3, and then uploading it to a website. It's only a "podcast" because iPod is the hip word of choice so it has become hip. It's a mix, a "radio show".

Essentially Raj, you have upped many mixes for the website (including one of mine way back when), so in a way you're pretty much "podcasting". But now it's possible for people to go to iTunes, subscribe, and automatically get those mixes if they're signed up to do so. You could even do a Soul Strut archive series and up some of those mixes.

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
    Raj, why don't you just write a small XMl file that people can subscribe too - so whenever you add new mixes to the site, it will arrive automatically as a podcast. Like was said above - your already kind of doing it..

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    some of the questions in this thread are so 2003.

• i never understood the whole 'podcast' thing. isn't it just making an mp3? why the f is it called a podcast? god damn ipod-crazed nation.

It's an RSS feed in XML format that contains information such as website, artist, and link to the MP3 file. It's called a "podcast" mainly because iPods were the most common device which used them at the time, but you can listen to podcasts on a PC.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i guess my problem was that, i've downloaded things that people call 'podcasts' but it appears they were just mp3s. dont think ive ever f'd with a real schitt podcast.

• some of the questions in this thread are so 2003.

You're giving some of us too much credit. I just got my first cell phone this week, so I'm just getting caught up to like 1997.

• well a podcast is inherently an mp3, but it comes wrapped with a bunch of other information like who made it, the name of the show, name of each episode, a bunch of tagwords, an image etc...lil more than just the mp3 idtags...but yeah like was said already, it's an automated service. subscribe to the feed...everytime it is updated you get a brand new episode delivered to your itunes...i also recommend podcastmaker for mac - very simple...but now on our site i just manually do an xml file...yeah.