I LOVE NICOLE WILLIS (and the soul investigators)

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
ouwee poasted this in the other section, but this schitt right here needs to be FRONT AND CENTER:

absolutely amy who?

Comments

• absahlootely man - that record is straight out , so many of the so called new funk bands concentrate on real balls out funk, love the soul of their stuff

p.s. pass the hatchet!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    My favorite song from the album. Truly exceptional production.

amy who?

Finally! I was getting worried about you!

• ouwee poasted this in the other section, but this schitt right here needs to be FRONT AND CENTER:

absolutely

amy who?

i don't know she's not signed to a major american label.

• My favorite song from the album. Truly exceptional production.

didier is the fugggin man. all those finnish dudes and dudettes ( ibelieve nicole willis is finniish resident) are super thorough.

such a feelgood song

and her hair gets extra naturalprops

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I heard this on a sampler awhile back(i think it was that "Light in the Attic" lbl) and my jaw dropped!

One thing is for sure, It's undeniable.Shit,It's just too fresh.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    "Feelin Free" is an awesome song as well. Aaron Jerome's remix of that track just kills it. Here's there remix and the "stringstrumental" both at 128 so you're motivated to buy the vinyl (the lab had it at one point).

Remix

Stringstrumental

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    This continues to be one of my absolute favorite contemporary soul records. I give it radio play just about every week. The production is flawless. The songs are exceptional. Didier is a king in the studio. The Calypso King LPs and the Didier's Sound Spectrum record are also noteworthy.

• It's good...but no amy winehouse.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    ouwee poasted this in the other section, but this schitt right here needs to be FRONT AND CENTER:

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This album hasn't left my iPod since I've gotten it (Thanks D*****!)

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    amy who?

this album is the truth. didier is crazy with analogue recording. also this one 7 on nite club records is truly fantastic. J***a, the drummer should be on this board as well :-).

I always have that record with me to play out!! And i say it before and say it again, their soultours 7 is uneffwiddabell....

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    im a big fan i saw them live a few month ago and they held it down.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

hey man, you do seem to have a fetish for chicks that pull microphone wires throughout their videos!...

ha ha... naw, just got a fetish for good music that gets past the surface level and into your soul, man ... whether it was made 40 years ago or it was made tomorrow

I STILL LOVE AMY TOO... no need to choose sides here

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ive been a Nicole Willis fan since the Repercussions Album '95.

I gotta cop this LP. Y'all been reppin this for a minute.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Oh shit she was in Repercussions? Taking me back to my Giant Step days.

Oh shit she was in Repercussions? Taking me back to my Giant Step days.

Hells yeah...

Promise,Slice Of Heaven,A New Day,etc.....Slept on "Neo-Soul" era LP.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

absolutely

amy who?

Saw the video for the first time now. Beautiful!!!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    hmm, this song is v. v. good
    i find the revivalism aspect of this vid kind of hokey and i don't think its at all a surprise that amy winehouse would sell more/get more press, tho.

i find the revivalism aspect of this vid kind of hokey and i don't think its at all a surprise that amy winehouse would sell more/get more press, tho.

I wonder if the Nicole Willis lp has that quasi-Hip Hop beat feel that Winehouse has?

This single certainly isnt "beat heavy". Know what im sayin?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    based on this single, i would be surprised if it acknowledges hip-hop at all. It sounds like its pretty strictly going for an authentic time period-specific sound and it doesn't sound very modern lyrically either; winehouse on the other hand sounds very of her time in that dept.

based on this single, i would be surprised if it acknowledges hip-hop at all. It sounds like its pretty strictly going for an authentic time period-specific sound and it doesn't sound very modern lyrically either; winehouse on the other hand sounds very of her time in that dept.

That what im sayin. Its almost unfair to compare the two. Winehouse is Rolling Stones magazine and known by 14 year olds.

I have a couple of Willis' Jimi Tenor solo joints. Its nice to see her return to good old Soul.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

That what im sayin. Its almost unfair to compare the two. Winehouse is Rolling Stones magazine and known by 14 year olds.

Yeah Deej is pretty much dead on with that.

Any difference in the Import & Stateside versions?

And is the wax still out there? And if so how the sound quality?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Any difference in the Import & Stateside versions?

And is the wax still out there? And if so how the sound quality?

We just got the U.S. version (on CD) in at the radio station I work at. I didn't notice any differences. I have the Euro version of the wax which sounds incredible. The record does have a "retro" sound stylistically (not the Ronson sound, for sure), but the songs are fresh and very well written. It's just a beautiful record, period. It seems to dip more into the traditional 60s Motown sound as opposed to, say, Sharon Jones' funk approach. Highly recommended.

I don't see the Euro version of the wax on sale anywhere, but DustySchmooze will have the U.S. version soon.

I wonder if the Nicole Willis lp has that quasi-Hip Hop beat feel that Winehouse has?

i get what is being said in this thread about the differences between the Amy Shithouse / Dap Kings and Nicole Willis / Soul Investigators sounds, but I'm not sure I understand the quasi-Hip Hop beat statement about Amy's stuff. Do you just mean that you could conceivably bust rhymes to some of the beats? Cuz Nicole's got some songs like that on her album too... maybe just as many or even more than Amy does

• Sorry, but that song is horrible. The verses are repetitive and bland and the chorus has no hook.

What is new here?

Sorry, but that song is horrible. The verses are repetitive and bland and the chorus has no hook.

What is new here?

lolol

• What's exciting about that song? Poor man's Motown, right down to the drum beat. If this is what all of her music is like, why does she even exist? This stuff was done better and with more imagination 40 years ago.

The song structure is bad, too. That flute solo should not even exist, or at least should not end the song. That's what happens, though, when your chorus is pathetic and not memorable. Why leave the listener with a bad chorus at the end when you can through in some cute flute nonsense?

Sorry, Phill, but that one's not speaking to me, at all. Different strokes for different folks.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    What's exciting about that song? Poor man's Motown, right down to the drum beat. If this is what all of her music is like, why does she even exist? This stuff was done better and with more imagination 40 years ago.

The song structure is bad, too. That flute solo should not even exist, or at least should not end the song. That's what happens, though, when your chorus is pathetic and not memorable. Why leave the listener with a bad chorus at the end when you can through in some cute flute nonsense?

Sorry, Phill, but that one's not speaking to me, at all. Different strokes for different folks.

You don't like soul music.

What's exciting about that song? Poor man's Motown, right down to the drum beat. If this is what all of her music is like, why does she even exist? This stuff was done better and with more imagination 40 years ago.

oh, you are quite welcome to your opinion... i just love the internet! it's so great... if people are loving something too much, someone HAS to come into the convo and say they hate it. just would've been wild to have the internet back in the days...

"i don't get it... Rakim is just hopelessly BORING and he's using too many words. why do you people like this guy?"

"aretha franklin is just LOUD... how you can say that she's a great singer is beyond me"

"i didn't think the white album was good at ALL... not so innovative, pretty bland. and the cover is the WORST EVAR. the beatles suck. deal with it."