I LOVE NICOLE WILLIS (and the soul investigators)

2»

Comments

• What's exciting about that song? Poor man's Motown, right down to the drum beat. If this is what all of her music is like, why does she even exist? This stuff was done better and with more imagination 40 years ago.

The song structure is bad, too. That flute solo should not even exist, or at least should not end the song. That's what happens, though, when your chorus is pathetic and not memorable. Why leave the listener with a bad chorus at the end when you can through in some cute flute nonsense?

Sorry, Phill, but that one's not speaking to me, at all. Different strokes for different folks.

You don't like soul music.

I don't like that song but I love soul music!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    What's exciting about that song? Poor man's Motown, right down to the drum beat. If this is what all of her music is like, why does she even exist? This stuff was done better and with more imagination 40 years ago.

The song structure is bad, too. That flute solo should not even exist, or at least should not end the song. That's what happens, though, when your chorus is pathetic and not memorable. Why leave the listener with a bad chorus at the end when you can through in some cute flute nonsense?

Sorry, Phill, but that one's not speaking to me, at all. Different strokes for different folks.

Just giving you a hard time (pause). Horses for courses as you say.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    What's exciting about that song? Poor man's Motown, right down to the drum beat. If this is what all of her music is like, why does she even exist? This stuff was done better and with more imagination 40 years ago.

you just like chocolate rainin' on the nicole willis love fest, thats all

• No, mudslides.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    hmm, this song is v. v. good
    i find the revivalism aspect of this vid kind of hokey and i don't think its at all a surprise that amy winehouse would sell more/get more press, tho.

I wonder if the Nicole Willis lp has that quasi-Hip Hop beat feel that Winehouse has?

i get what is being said in this thread about the differences between the Amy Shithouse / Dap Kings and Nicole Willis / Soul Investigators sounds, but I'm not sure I understand the quasi-Hip Hop beat statement about Amy's stuff. Do you just mean that you could conceivably bust rhymes to some of the beats? Cuz Nicole's got some songs like that on her album too... maybe just as many or even more than Amy does

Ronson's production style is the key difference. Even when he's not making an obviously "hip-hop" beat, his aesthetic lends itself to those kinds of crossovers in ways that the Soul Investigators aren't really that interested in latching onto. It's why the Dap-Kings with Sharon Jones sounds one way and with Ronson sound very different, even though, from a medium distance, it can sound the same.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    you just like chocolate rainin' on the nicole willis love fest, thats all

hahaha.. there should be a song called Chocolate rain sung by R Kelly ft. Kci and jojo.

- spidey

hmm, this song is v. v. good
    i find the revivalism aspect of this vid kind of hokey and i don't think its at all a surprise that amy winehouse would sell more/get more press, tho.

I wonder if the Nicole Willis lp has that quasi-Hip Hop beat feel that Winehouse has?

i get what is being said in this thread about the differences between the Amy Shithouse / Dap Kings and Nicole Willis / Soul Investigators sounds, but I'm not sure I understand the quasi-Hip Hop beat statement about Amy's stuff. Do you just mean that you could conceivably bust rhymes to some of the beats? Cuz Nicole's got some songs like that on her album too... maybe just as many or even more than Amy does

Ronson's production style is the key difference. Even when he's not making an obviously "hip-hop" beat, his aesthetic lends itself to those kinds of crossovers in ways that the Soul Investigators aren't really that interested in latching onto. It's why the Dap-Kings with Sharon Jones sounds one way and with Ronson sound very different, even though, from a medium distance, it can sound the same.

yeahhhh... i'll take your word for it... i definitely hear the difference in production styles, just not the "quasi-hip hop" thing. Hip hop beats originally came mostly from old soul music...the way I hear it, these new acts are just doing their version of old soul music. I don't hear nothing hip hop in stuff like "Rehab", regardless of Jay-Z rappin' on the remix. Jay-Z will rap on ANYTHING... yall ain't forget "Beach Chair", did you?

btw, i'm crediting the Dap Kings with being associated with the Amy lp... is that wrong? I guess the production is this Ronson guy, Salaam Remi had a hand in it too, right? I don't even know... i just likes the schitt

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    dudes went all apeshit for that dieder's sound speculum stuff which i found super
    boring and blando

I like nicole willis on multi levels
    its not blowing me away but its cool

still....on a tit for tat basis sharon jones kinda mops the floor with her

btw
    what happened to otis funkmeyer's band?
    I thought that gal he had fronting his band was headed in the right direction and could be considered as strong a vocalist if not stronger and more raw than NW

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I just copped this shit tonite and its fuckin bananas.

Ill still stand by "quasi hiphop" statement. Ronson n them are still referencing big beat production/full jeep beat sound/atcq head nod shit/etc. To a degree.

Willis n them are st8 up doin OG soul rhythms/styles/execution/"simple"lyrics.
    Shit is incredible. Im blown the fuck away.I wish i heard this before Winehouse so i dont have a tainted " These young thangs referencin' that old shit" perspective. Whatever.

Winehouse = Modernized Soul Willis = Cloned Soul

I had to pull out my Repercussions album to see how its come full circle for Nicole. From Neo-Soul to Rael Soul. From Brand New Heavy type shit to "whatever you call it" shit. I likey.

A rael mc can rhyme to both styles of production, but Winehouse is most definitely more "of this era". IMO. Kinda like Lauryn's new/old That Thing or Lina w/ her Electronica/Billie Hoilday/Blue Cantrell(biter)/Fusion.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    yeahhhh... i'll take your word for it... i definitely hear the difference in production styles, just not the "quasi-hip hop" thing. Hip hop beats originally came mostly from old soul music...the way I hear it, these new acts are just doing their version of old soul music. I don't hear nothing hip hop in stuff like "Rehab", regardless of Jay-Z rappin' on the remix. Jay-Z will rap on ANYTHING... yall ain't forget "Beach Chair", did you?

btw, i'm crediting the Dap Kings with being associated with the Amy lp... is that wrong? I guess the production is this Ronson guy, Salaam Remi had a hand in it too, right? I don't even know... i just likes the schitt
    Remi did a song for this dude Keon that was stupid! Can't remember what it was a remake of but it was sick. I bought that Nicole Willis album awhile ago but haven't really listened to it. I got some other new but old sounding soul 45's in the similar vein from big city that were dope too. Maybe with Winehouses success it will be the new thing to do. Wouldn't be mad at that.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Maybe with Winehouses success it will be the new thing to do. Wouldn't be mad at that.

Id hatt to see Madonna w/ three Black backup sangers and a frunky drummer solo.

Or better yet, Lindsey Lohan featuring the Funk Brothers.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Maybe with Winehouses success it will be the new thing to do. Wouldn't be mad at that.

Id hatt to see Madonna w/ three Black backup sangers and a frunky drummer solo.

Or better yet, Lindsey Lohan featuring the Funk Brothers.

That would definitely be bad, but funny as shit.

Ill still stand by "quasi hiphop" statement. Ronson n them are still referencing big beat production/full jeep beat sound/atcq head nod shit/etc. To a degree.

TO A DEGREE... ok, i'll buy that. Otherwise we were gonna have to argue this out until it made 5 pager status

• I just copped this shit tonite and its fuckin bananas.

TO A DEGREE... ok, i'll buy that. Otherwise we were gonna have to argue this out until it made 5 pager status

:5pager:????????????

What, is Nicole Willis white?

no, she's a black woman... but all the people pulling the strings of this so-called "soul" music movement are white. so easy to take this thing 5 pages and beyond

• I just copped this shit tonite and its fuckin bananas.

no, she's a black woman... but all the people pulling the strings of this so-called "soul" music movement are white. so easy to take this thing 5 pages and beyond

Right. i gotcha.

Mark Ronson and the Swedish investigators- I know who is playing the horn lines, and pulling those strings.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Personally, I couldn't get into Willis' last album (before she joined with the Soul Investigators). I think this new sound...or, er...retro sound fits her much better.

Though I agree - vocally, Jones still runs this shit. Musically though, I thought the production on "Keep Reachin Up" was excellent.

The new Jones album might raise the bar though. Good, good stuff.

Right. i gotcha.

Mark Ronson and the Swedish investigators- I know who is playing the horn lines, and pulling those strings.

white people are ALWAYS pulling the strings.

now, because I have already warned of a possible 5 pager, people will probably not jump for the bait this time. but really, that's all it usually takes to set it off and turn an otherwise mostly innocuous thread into multiple pages of racial banter. i love soulstrut!

• Ran into these great pictures of her. These were taken on a small festival here in Ghent Belgium. Check the slideshow.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Right. i gotcha.

white people are ALWAYS pulling the strings.

now, because I have already warned of a possible 5 pager, people will probably not jump for the bait this time. but really, that's all it usually takes to set it off and turn an otherwise mostly innocuous thread into multiple pages of racial banter. i love soulstrut!

See, what you gotta do is put these spot on predictions in white text, that way when they prove to be true you can point to your earlier post as gospel troof and I-told-you-so-ness.

[color:white]Make whitey work for YOU! [/color]

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    They were playing Nicole Willis at Off 5th in Franklin Mills yesterdays. My white ass was snapping my fingers and tapping my toes!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
    "Feelin Free" is an awesome song as well. Aaron Jerome's remix of that track just kills it. Here's there remix and the "stringstrumental" both at 128 so you're motivated to buy the vinyl (the lab had it at one point).

Remix

Stringstrumental

Dynamics remix of the same. I've been bumping this all summer.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I just picked this one up, gotta say at first I was only feeling about half the tracks.
    Their were a couple that were just off the charts from the get go, the rest not so much...
    but this record is a grower.
    I now know Nicole Willis is the TRUTH!