I've never seen Rocky or Jaws...

124»

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Tick em' off.

From Sight and Sound magazines poll of critics, then directors.

1. Citizen Kane (Welles)
    2. Vertigo (Hitchcock)
    3. La R??gle du jeu (Renoir)
    4. The Godfather and The Godfather part II (Coppola)
    5. Tokyo Story (Ozu)
    6. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick)
    7. Battleship Potemkin (Eisenstein)
    7. Sunrise (Murnau)
    9. 8 1/2 (Fellini)
    10.Singin' In the Rain (Kelly, Donen)

1. Citizen Kane (Welles)
    2. The Godfather and The Godfather part II (Coppola)
    3. 8 1/2 (Fellini)
    4. Lawrence of Arabia (Lean)
    5. Dr. Strangelove (Kubrick)
    6. Bicycle Thieves (De Sica)
    6. Raging Bull (Scorsese)
    6. Vertigo (Hitchcock)
    9. Rashomon (Kurosawa)
    9. La R??gle du jeu (Renoir)
    9. Seven Samurai (Kurosawa)

Seen 'em all, apart from La Regle du jeu, Sunrise and Tokyo Story.

Although it goes without saying considering their positions on this list, the three that you are missing are all absolutely brilliant films in different ways. Sunrise should only really be viewed in a cinema though IMHO.

I believe that I've seen [obscure addict]almost every film mentioned in this thread[/obscure addict] mainly because in my youth I treated films in a similar way to record collecting and intently filled any holes in my cinematic knowledge by hunting them down to view. BITD British TV used to be very accommodating with it's screening of old and obscure movies as well - used to tape anything that looked mildly interesting.

I must confess however that I have some major gaps in classic European cinema from the 50s/60s, particularly Italian cinema for some reason.

Oh yeah, some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Tick em' off.

1. Citizen Kane (Welles)
    2. Vertigo (Hitchcock)
    5. Tokyo Story (Ozu)
    7. Sunrise (Murnau)
    9. 8 1/2 (Fellini)

1. Citizen Kane (Welles)
    3. 8 1/2 (Fellini)
    6. Vertigo (Hitchcock)
    9. Rashomon (Kurosawa)

Although it goes without saying considering their positions on this list, the three that you are missing are all absolutely brilliant films in different ways. Sunrise should only really be viewed in a cinema though IMHO.

I believe that I've seen [obscure addict]almost every film mentioned in this thread[/obscure addict] mainly because in my youth I treated films in a similar way to record collecting and intently filled any holes in my cinematic knowledge by hunting them down to view. BITD British TV used to be very accommodating with it's screening of old and obscure movies as well - used to tape anything that looked mildly interesting.

I must confess however that I have some major gaps in classic European cinema from the 50s/60s, particularly Italian cinema for some reason.

I was the same when I was a kid - I'd watch all kinds of movies and, when I took a Film Studies course in my twenties, it became an obsession for a while, although we never got round to Renoir, for some reason. I actually harboured an ambition to work as a film editor at one point - blame a fondness for Peckinpah and Pudovkin for that.

on the kind of shit they used to show on British TV too, although not anymore. I particularly remember a Tarkovsky season on Channel 4 in the mid-80s, where they showed things like "Stalker", "Andrei Rublyev", "The Mirror" and the o.g. version of "Solaris".

I've seen a few of Ozu's pictures, but I have to be honest and say they didn't make much of an impression. I should probably go back and give this one another shot. I like German Expressionist cinema a lot, but Sunrise is one of those key movies from that era that's passed me by.

It's quite a surprise to discover how many classic American movies of all stripes that so many Strutters haven't seen at all. I mean, things like Road House and Point Break are good fun and all (although Point Break seems pretty squarely aimed at young women and gay men to me), but anyone who hasn't seen Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid or The Wild Bunch needs to be putting that right.

Tick em' off.

1. Citizen Kane (Welles)
    2. Vertigo (Hitchcock)
    5. Tokyo Story (Ozu)
    7. Sunrise (Murnau)
    9. 8 1/2 (Fellini)

1. Citizen Kane (Welles)
    3. 8 1/2 (Fellini)
    6. Vertigo (Hitchcock)
    9. Rashomon (Kurosawa)

I was the same when I was a kid - I'd watch all kinds of movies and, when I took a Film Studies course in my twenties, it became an obsession for a while, although we never got round to Renoir, for some reason. I actually harboured an ambition to work as a film editor at one point - blame a fondness for Peckinpah and Pudovkin for that.

on the kind of shit they used to show on British TV too, although not anymore. I particularly remember a Tarkovsky season on Channel 4 in the mid-80s, where they showed things like "Stalker", "Andrei Rublyev", "The Mirror" and the o.g. version of "Solaris".

I've seen a few of Ozu's pictures, but I have to be honest and say they didn't make much of an impression. I should probably go back and give this one another shot. I like German Expressionist cinema a lot, but Sunrise is one of those key movies from that era that's passed me by.

It's quite a surprise to discover how many classic American movies of all stripes that so many Strutters haven't seen at all. I mean, things like Road House and Point Break are good fun and all (although Point Break seems pretty squarely aimed at young women and gay men to me), but anyone who hasn't seen Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid or The Wild Bunch needs to be putting that right.

Yeah, those were the days. Used to love the seasons of alternative cinema Channel 4 would bless us with not to mention slightly later stuff like the original Moviedrome seasons with Alex Cox. Being exposed to films like these definitely helped develop my youthful obsession with movies which had died a little by the time I took Film Studies as part of a joint degree and nowadays seems almost entirely replaced by an appetite for low budget shock fests. Definitely agree that most Ozu pictures left me feeling distinctly underwhelmed but did find Tokyo Story a lot more engaging than his other films.

I am also very surprised by the number of Strutters who haven't seen what are widely regarded as the classics. Is this down to preferring to watch more obscure releases or just a case of never having got round to it?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    But, those movies are INCREDIBLE.

I thought they were sloppy. I'm all about montage and editing. Lord of the Rings was just a lot of special effects and swooping helicopter shots. I think that's lazy filmmaking.

You can say a lot about the LOR movies. Lazy would probably be at the bottom of the list.

• just a case of never having got round to it?

I think thats probably it. some people aren't as in to movies as others are.

I remember trying to watch lawrence of arabia in highschool and I was bored shitless. still love the soundtrack though.

Actually I have to admit that I've slept on most 80s comedys. caddyshack, blues bros, animal house, all that shit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I used to enjoy sittin down w/ my X who missed out on all the 70/80 classics growing up in Finland.

I sat her down w/ Saturday Night Fever.......she was

Purple Rain.... x 3

I havent seen Citizen Kane or Dr.StrangeLove.

Whatever.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

just a case of never having got round to it?

I think thats probably it.

I also shy away from things that have a lot of hype around them. I didn't see Trainspotting five or so years after it came out because I was so sick of it even before it hit the theatres with the posters everywhere and all that.

There's also this feeling that things have been built up so much that the actual movie can never live up to the raves. Citizen Kane and La Regle du jeu definitely fit into this category for me.

just a case of never having got round to it?

I think thats probably it.

I also shy away from things that have a lot of hype around them. I didn't see Trainspotting five or so years after it came out because I was so sick of it even before it hit the theatres with the posters everywhere and all that.

There's also this feeling that things have been built up so much that the actual movie can never live up to the raves. Citizen Kane and La Regle du jeu definitely fit into this category for me.

Yeah I must admit that pretty much all my personal favourite movies are ones that, to a greater or lesser extent, I discovered for myself rather than having thrust upon me as one of the greatest films ever made. I certainly don't rank Kane anywhere near as highly as I might do if I'd caught it on TV or whatever without knowing anything about the film.

• I certainly don't rank Kane anywhere near as highly as I might do if I'd caught it on TV or whatever without knowing anything about the film.

This is interesting, i hadn't really considered the idea of the movie version of backpackers before...

I certainly don't rank Kane anywhere near as highly as I might do if I'd caught it on TV or whatever without knowing anything about the film.

This is interesting, i hadn't really considered the idea of the movie version of backpackers before...

Hahahaha! It's kinda true about Citizen Kane, though. When you know a little about the background of it, and how innovative it was technically and all that, you definitely look at it in a different way. Of course there's an argument that maybe movies shouldn't necessarily be analysed to quite such an extent, but Welles was, by his own admission, trying to produce A Work Of Art, so I dunno if there's anything wrong in viewing it purely from that perspective. The problem is that it must be tough for someone watching it for the first time with real high expectations for it. I mean, it's a good film, and it is important artistically and historically, but I can completely understand someone who's never seen it before coming away wondering why people make such a big fuss of it

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I have never seen this in its enitrety, which, for someone my age, is probably some kind of an accomplishment. Also, never seen 2001 all the way through or any or Bergman's films except 'Fanny and Alexander'.

Ms Head get thee to Butch Cassidy with a quickness. There's a reason they have buddy flicks now and this is it. A great script, Newman in his prime , unfadeable and so much fun.

I have never seen this in its enitrety, which, for someone my age, is probably some kind of an accomplishment. Also, never seen 2001 all the way through or any or Bergman's films except 'Fanny and Alexander'.

Ms Head get thee to Butch Cassidy with a quickness. There's a reason they have buddy flicks now and this is it. A great script, Newman in his prime , unfadeable and so much fun.

I think Grease is a great movie. Watching it with a whole bunch of people at a friend's house one Saturday morning after a party many years ago, I was first treated to the phenomenon of "three girls watching a movie and reciting every word of the dialogue in the whole damn thing". It was pretty funny.

I think Grease is a great movie.

I think Grease is a great movie. Watching it with a whole bunch of people at a friend's house one Saturday morning after a party many years ago, I was first treated to the phenomenon of "three girls watching a movie and reciting every word of the dialogue in the whole damn thing". It was pretty funny.

It is a great movie - Stockard Channing rules, Rizzo is a great character. I used to have the book which is basically the movie in stills. First time I ever heard 'Stroll' by the Diamonds and it made an impression even then! - I play it out all the time.

My parents took me to see it, that and Hair.

It is a great movie - Stockard Channing rules, Rizzo is a great character. I used to have the book which is basically the movie in stills. First time I ever heard 'Stroll' by the Diamonds and it made an impression even then! - I play it out all the time.

The soundtrack is good too. One lava break on there too.
    Your The One That I Want - Rock-N-Roll/Disco/Country/Pop......ahead of its time.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    close encounters of the third kind

I only got around to seeing this a couple months ago. It's definitely worth checking out. Obviously, the most iconic scenes have been pop-culture fodder for quite some time and can therefore lose some of their impact, but it's still a good, enjoyable movie.

This kid I went to high school with used two quotes from Point Break as his senior quotes in the yearbook. His third quote came from Young Guns II. I don't think he was being ironic, either.

wow, that's hysterical. please tell me what these quotes are. PLEASE!

anytime anyone spoked in that movie i laughed.

So I got the first quote--the "ultiamte sacrifice" one more or less correct. His other one was:

"Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. You project strength to avoid conflict."

And as a special B-side, here's the Young Guns II quote:

"Someone runs up to three kids and says, 'Hey, the world is coming to an end.' The first kid said, 'Well, I must go to the mission and pray.' The second one said, 'I'm going to get a case of mescal and six women.' And the third one said, 'I will finish the game.' I will finish the game!"

(Can anybody can tell me what the fuck that quote is supposed to mean?)

Hidden bonus track: This kid's last name is Stryker. Sounds like he should be a one-line character from Point Break.

haha, thanks! that young guns quote is nonsense. that other point break quote sounds almost exactly like that ultimate one. i was hoping it would be something like "bodhi lives for getting rad" or something like that, i can't remember exactly.

i also have seen only bits and pieces of O Brother Where Art Thou and Amelie at various places playing in the background on tv and i don't think i'm interested to watch it from beginning to end.

dr wu, Butch Cassidy is just one of those that i've been meaning to watch but forget about all the time. i'll add it to my queue now

i liked the Wild Bunch but i think i hate Straw Dogs

i think i hate Straw Dogs

I definitely hated the tense and sick feeling I had in my stomach for most of it and I kinda hated everyone in the film, too.