I've never seen Rocky or Jaws...

PonyPony 2,283 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Essential/Classic movies you've never got around to watching, add on...People look at me strange when I say I haven't seen these movies...Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us ?

Comments

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    only until very recently had i seen die hard. jaws is another film that i keep meaning to see as i haven't seen it since i was tiny. i'd defiantly check out rocky if i was you.

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    I've never cared much for the Godfather, Citizen Kane, or Shawshank Redemption. Though people make these out to be the holy grails of cinema.

I've never seen Apocalypse Now, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, or Casablanca.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

I've never seen Apocalypse Now

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I watched Top Gun for the first time about a month ago, it was awful. Although I probably would have loved that back in the 80's.

• I've never seen the Matrix

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I've never seen this.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    On The Waterfront
    Gone With The Wind: No real desire to see it, though.
    Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
    Forbidden Planet: In my Netflix Q right now
    Topkapi: Rented it recently since it is considered a 4-star movie. I fell asleep halfway through it from just being tired at midnight. I could have done without the scene with the oily men wrestling, though. Good character actors in this.

• The Wizard of Oz
    The last 2 Indiana Jones movies
    All of the new Star Wars

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I've never seen this.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    "Nobody puts Baby in a corner."

NOBODY!

I've never seen Ben-Hur all the way through. Other than that, I'm all caught up.

Jaws and Rocky I still love very much. I don't care how much of a "blockbuster" mentality Jaws started, that movie still stands up for me, not quite as raw (aside, of course, from all the shark bites) as some of the other '70s flicks but still great.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I've never seen Casablanca either, kinda not interested...

We had a Christmas party about 12 yrs ago and made pot cookies and brownies for everyone.* One of the guests did not realize and no one thought to specify (bad move) and as it happens he did not do drugs. So, he had more than one helping and apparently got so high that as his girlfrind was putting him in bed, he was quoting from Ben Hur.
    It's a pretty entertaining movie - you should check it out some time.

*I've been hearing from people about their Christmas cookie/brownie adventures over the years, one as recently as two years ago! Bascially, my roomate's friend found a box full of the stuff by the train tracks and gave out ziploc bags of it. It was mostly shake, but full of surprises; one joint could just make you sleepy while the next one out the same bag could paralyze you. That was a fun year!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Oh boy, let's see...

Well, there's the Film Geeks' Greatest Hits--stuff like Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and the like.

Most people look at me funny when I tell them I haven't seen any of the so-called "Brat Pack" movies except The Breakfast Club, which doesn't really count. In fact, I haven't seen a lot of the landmark '80s films...I was too into cheesy horror flicks at the time (still am, I guess).

And the ultimate hip-hop sin: I've never actually watched Scarface. I've seen a bit here and a bit there to the point where I'm pretty sure I've seen the whole movie in composite form, but I've never actually sat down and watched the thing from beginning to end.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Yo, Die Hard is in my top 10 US movies ever.

Jaws

Rocky

Top Gun

Dirty Dancing, well I have a sister so I've seen this. But does anyone seriously recomend you should watch this?!

I've never seen The Lost Boys, but always meant to.

cheesy horror flicks

I've never seen Chud

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Just watched The Godfather in its entirety the other day.

Never seen History of the World, Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles (all the way through) even though I like Mel Brooks.

• Rocky

The fight is ridiculous, but the movie is classic!
    And the soundtrack is brillant.

• Die Hard is fucking awesome.

Jaws is good... but Rocky I could never get in to. I've seen it, but it didn't do much for me. Rambo on the other hand was dope.

Casablanca is actually a really good movie. I rented it on a whim once just to see a "classic" and expected to be bored, but I loved it, and have since seen it a few times. I always recomend it to people who want to see a classic that isn't boring. I think its aged pretty well. Humphrey Bogart is just cool.

The good the bad and the ugly is a love it or hate it movie. I obviously love it, seeing as how there have been pics posted here of me dressed as Blondie on halloween. That shit actually changed my life, if you can beleive that.

I finally watched citizen cane and actually really enjoyed that one too. I was prepared to be pretty let down since people always call it the best film ever made and shit. I don't know about that, but I do know I enjoyed watching it, and at least I know what people mean when they say "rosebud".

Re: the last 2 indiana jones films. the second one is pretty trashy, but the 3rd one is definitely as good as the first, and some people think its better. I love those movies.

Dirty Dancing is fucking dumb.

I've never sat through Top Gun either, but that piano bar is right here in San Diego, so now I kinda want to watch it and then go there.

I have no desire to see gone with the wind.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    And the ultimate hip-hop sin: I've never actually watched Scarface. I've seen a bit here and a bit there to the point where I'm pretty sure I've seen the whole movie in composite form, but I've never actually sat down and watched the thing from beginning to end.

+ the ultimate scarface sin: not watching the howard hawks OG from 32, which was the most violent film around at the time of its release. Palma used many ideas from the OG in his remake.

• Die Hard is fucking awesome.

.. but Rocky I could never get in to.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Rambo

The good the bad and the ugly

There's 2 more I've never seen.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

+ the ultimate scarface sin: not watching the howard hawks OG from 32, which was the most violent film around at the time of its release. Palma used many ideas from the OG in his remake.

"Cocaine Cowboys" is worth watching too.

There is a pretty nice "blazing downtempo" cut on the Rocky soundtrack. They play it for only a few seconds in the movie, I think, when Rocky is hanging with his two turtles, Cuff and Link.

One classic that I have yet to see is The Bridge Over the River Kwai (sp?).

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I've never seen Rambo, nor Dirty Harry. I've never seen the Bicycle Thief, nor Rome, Open City. No On the Waterfront for me either, though I got the DVD for my brother's birthday a couple of years back. I have only seen one James Dean movie. However, looking at the IMDB top 250 list (which isn't the best indicator obviously), there aren't a lot of films that I consider essential that I haven't seen.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

The good the bad and the ugly

I love this movie! If possible, watch it on the big screen, it will be 100x more satisfying. One of the best opening credits to a film, too.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I've never cared much for the Godfather, Citizen Kane, or Shawshank Redemption. Though people make these out to be the holy grails of cinema.

I've never seen Apocalypse Now, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, or Casablanca.

BAN

just out of curiosity, what do you consider a good movie? I mean those 3 you "never cared for much" are pretty much the closest you are going to get to perfect movies...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I've never seen Rambo, nor Dirty Harry. I've never seen the Bicycle Thief, nor Rome, Open City.

I'm starting to wonder what movies I have seen.

• I've never seen Rambo, nor Dirty Harry. I've never seen the Bicycle Thief, nor Rome, Open City.

hahaha... Me too!

The first rambo movie is suprisingly un-corny, considering what people now consider the image of rambo. The first was actually an interesting psychological look at the effects of ptsd on a vietnam vet who was trained to kill and then released back in to society. I didn't expect the movie to be so serious. the sequeals are corny (but totally fun), but the first rambo is actually a really good film. If somebody disagrees with that then I'd love to know why.

Dirty Harry was so fucking awesome. I was floored when I saw it. I told my wife "YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS" and she was like "yawn, whatever, ok" and then at the end she was like "Damn, that was pretty cool!" Its just a badass film.

I might be the only person on earth who just doesn't 'get' army of darkness. I've tried and I've tried, and I just don't get it. Bubbha Ho Tep on the other hand... That shit had me rolling.

• Options

"Cocaine Cowboys" is worth watching too.

Major cosine on Cocaine Cowboys, fucking awesome.

I never saw Titanic or Silence Of The Lambs. Scarface, the Godfather series, the original Star Wars movies, Jaws, I saw all those when I was young and don't remember them at all. I only saw one of the newer three Star Wars films, the first one. Didn't see any of the Lord Of The Rings.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

I never saw Titanic or Silence Of The Lambs. Scarface, the Godfather series, the original Star Wars movies, Jaws, I saw all those when I was young and don't remember them at all. I only saw one of the newer three Star Wars films, the first one. Didn't see any of the Lord Of The Rings.

Haha, that's awesome.

Oh, I'll go ahead and add almost every 80's horror movie to the list.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I've never seen Rambo, nor Dirty Harry. I've never seen the Bicycle Thief, nor Rome, Open City.

hahaha... Me too!

The first rambo movie is suprisingly un-corny, considering what people now consider the image of rambo. The first was actually an interesting psychological look at the effects of ptsd on a vietnam vet who was trained to kill and then released back in to society. I didn't expect the movie to be so serious. the sequeals are corny (but totally fun), but the first rambo is actually a really good film. If somebody disagrees with that then I'd love to know why.

Word. I actually saw the second one before I saw the first one, so I kind of expected it to just be a dumb action flick and was surprised that it was actually a fairly serious and psychological movie.

I might be the only person on earth who just doesn't 'get' army of darkness. I've tried and I've tried, and I just don't get it. Bubbha Ho Tep on the other hand... That shit had me rolling.

Well, there's really not much to get about Army of Darkness. It's a splatstick comedy masquerading as a not-scary horror movie. I definitely dig it. Bubba Ho-Tep was great, though. I think Roger Ebert's review nailed it perfectly, particularly this part:

It has the damnedest ingratiating way of making us sit there and grin at its harebrained audacity, laugh at its outhouse humor, and be somewhat moved (not deeply, but somewhat) at the poignancy of these two old men and their situation.

b/w as long as we're talking about Bruce Campbell, his Old Spice ad where he's playing a piano lounge version of "Hungry Like the Wolf" is