I've never seen Rocky or Jaws...

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    But I don't agree with the spots it gets in top xxx lists - it's deceiving to younger fans and takes away from brilliant movies that aren't considered masterpieces by the film elite.

How does it take away? These top whatever lists generally take a rank-by-influence/impact route, so why shouldn't it be on top (or near to it) every time?

Yep. They're not saying it's 'the most ejoyable piece of entertainment ever', but in the context of cinema as an artform, without Citizen Kane, there wouldn't be "brilliant movies that aren't considered masterpieces". It's that simple.

• I consider Dr. Strangelove to be one of the greatest movies ever made. I remember renting that one on a whim too, not knowing anything about it. When it was over I was so floored I rewound it (dating myself here) and watched the whole thing again. The way it ends with 'we'll meet again' playing was so ballsy and funny... I pretty much have the whole movie memorized. The whole thing, from floridation (precious bodily fluids) to "a fella could have a pretty good time in vegas"... I geek out HARD on this movie.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I never watched Harry Potter.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Tick em' off.

From Sight and Sound magazines poll of critics, then directors.

1. Citizen Kane (Welles)
    2. Vertigo (Hitchcock)
    3. La R??gle du jeu (Renoir)
    4. The Godfather and The Godfather part II (Coppola)
    5. Tokyo Story (Ozu)
    6. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick)
    7. Battleship Potemkin (Eisenstein)
    7. Sunrise (Murnau)
    9. 8 1/2 (Fellini)
    10.Singin' In the Rain (Kelly, Donen)

1. Citizen Kane (Welles)
    2. The Godfather and The Godfather part II (Coppola)
    3. 8 1/2 (Fellini)
    4. Lawrence of Arabia (Lean)
    5. Dr. Strangelove (Kubrick)
    6. Bicycle Thieves (De Sica)
    6. Raging Bull (Scorsese)
    6. Vertigo (Hitchcock)
    9. Rashomon (Kurosawa)
    9. La R??gle du jeu (Renoir)
    9. Seven Samurai (Kurosawa)

Out of the movies on this list I've only seen 2001 and Dr. Strangelove. And I've seen the Magnificent Seven, so I guess I've sort of seen Seven Samurai. And I've read The Godfather.

I don't like movies much.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    You have to be in the mood for some of the "Classics" but they do tell a good story if you can stick with it. Most of them earned their critical props by being waaaay ahead of what had gone before. Like the Beatles. And in the same way, we take for granted in current work the foundations laid by these people.

The deep flicks are tough to take when folks have been raised on MTV and it's cut-every-2-seconds editing.

I don't think any of the Die Hards are great. Entertaining, but not great.
    Rocky you should see. Jaws is worth it for Robert Shaw alone. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is amazing. Badlands, Old Boy, CE3K, The first Star Wars (episode IV), Kiss Me Deadly, African Queen, original Thomas Crown Affair, Goldfinger, Bad Lieutenant, Maltese Falcon, Portrait of Jennie... all killers no fillers.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I never watched Harry Potter.

me neither, nor have I read any of them.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts

I have a bunch of Prince records, including Purple Rain, but I've never seen the movie. I'm sure the album would make a lot more sense if I watched it.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    And the ultimate hip-hop sin: I've never actually watched Scarface. I've seen a bit here and a bit there to the point where I'm pretty sure I've seen the whole movie in composite form, but I've never actually sat down and watched the thing from beginning to end.

+ the ultimate scarface sin: not watching the howard hawks OG from 32, which was the most violent film around at the time of its release. Palma used many ideas from the OG in his remake.

You beat me to it. I like the remake, but the o.g. is pretty special. Not just for the violence, either; the incestuous subtext between Camonte and his sister is much more explicitly stated than it is in the De Palma version. It must have been some controversial shit back in the day.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I haven't ever seen:

casablanca
    gone with the wind
    citizen kane
    titanic
    jerry mcguire
    independence day
    all the harry potter's
    all the lord of the rings
    the last 3 star wars turds

I very rarely watch any of those big blockbuster movies. And alot of the old "classics" fall flat for me. I like to get absorbed in a movie, alot of old black and white movies I feel like I'm watching actors talking instead of getting absorbed in a story of a movie..

That said, its embarrasing that I haven't seen Citizen Kane but I've probably seen Point Break 3 times.

Didn't see any of the Lord Of The Rings.

Me neither - I think it would be akin to soft torture for me.

I liked all the LotR movies. I didn't see any of them at the cinema, and caught them all either on TV or DVD. I didn't expect to like them all that much, but I found them really absorbing. It helps that they're impressive visually, but basically it's just a good story, well told.

I liked that Ralph Bakshi version from 1978 as well - Tolkien purists loathed it, but for the time it was pretty adventurous, with all the rotoscoping and that. It tanked at the box office, the studio went bust and parts 2 & 3 were never made, which I always thought was a bit of a shame.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    LOTR trilogy are GREAT films, extremely enjoyable although I do tend to FF through the hobbit parts. The extended editions are essential as they fill in a lot of blank spots from the theatrical release.
    The book could have been so easily fucked up... I thought Peter Jackson did a fantastic job. The attention to detail is spot on.

Tick em' off.

1. Citizen Kane (Welles)
    2. Vertigo (Hitchcock)
    5. Tokyo Story (Ozu)
    7. Sunrise (Murnau)
    9. 8 1/2 (Fellini)

1. Citizen Kane (Welles)
    3. 8 1/2 (Fellini)
    6. Vertigo (Hitchcock)
    9. Rashomon (Kurosawa)

Seen 'em all, apart from La Regle du jeu, Sunrise and Tokyo Story.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I can't even comment on the cinematic quality of LOTR, H Potter and the last three Star Wars, which I also have not seen, it's the content that I cannot get with. I saw a bit of the first two LOTR on TV and my only reaction was WTF?? I'm just not about it, like someone else already said: different strokes for different folks.

Oh yea, I've never seen any of the Indiana Jones movies either and as much as I hate the phrase, after Gone with the Wind, I really did regret that I would not get those 3 or so hours of my life back.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Yeah i'll admit I was by no means a big fan of medieval/period type films... but making the effort to go see them at the theatre was a rewarding and surprising experience. Watching the TV version of LOTR really can't compare, even to the DVD.
    But hey if it's not your thing, that's cool...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Never seen a Rocky movie
    Never seen a James Bond movie

But major fucking cosignage on the genius that is:

The movie is pure genius.

If you disagree, you are too stupid to have a good time. The only things missing were helicopters and Bigfoot trucks.

Oh no, wait a minute: IT HAD BOTH.

• See, I saw the first LOTR and really liked it. I thought it was pretty neat. Then I saw the second one and had no idea what was going on for most of it. same with the 3rd. I was like, OK I know he has to go somewhere with this ring, but what is the rest of this shit that is happening? Why are all these people fighting? It was too complicated for me. I guess I'm a simpleton or something.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I've never seen Casablanca either, kinda not interested...

It's an amazing film. Worth checking out at least once.

really? i thought it was good but i wouldn't use amazing to desceribe it

by the way, your avatar is too powerful. i've been staring at it for 5 minutes

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

my thoughts exactly.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

my thoughts exactly.

the first one is killing me with the voila hand action and his stern expression

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Tick em' off.

1. Citizen Kane (Welles)
    2. Vertigo (Hitchcock)
    5. Tokyo Story (Ozu)
    7. Sunrise (Murnau)
    9. 8 1/2 (Fellini)

1. Citizen Kane (Welles)
    3. 8 1/2 (Fellini)
    6. Vertigo (Hitchcock)
    9. Rashomon (Kurosawa)

i haven't seen any of these except the godfathers.

i haven't seen any most of the movies listed in this thread including jaws and all the rambos. i've only seen episode 1 and 2 of star wars. i guess i'm not a real american.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Never saw Titanic, any of the Lord of The Rings or Harry Potter movies.

• I too haven't seen Casablanca...I should probably rewatch a lot of films, too.

Onto the Lord of the Rings...I'll say, the books hold no real meaning for me. I read after seeing the movies, and they were good. But, those movies are INCREDIBLE. Not just for Fantasy Folls, but anyone who enjoys film- stories well told, lovingly presented, and VISUALLY STUNNING. Don't sleep. I mean, fuck a Harry Potter movie (snoooooooooooze...Chris Columbus?? HARRY POTTER IS....HOME ALONE!) and Titanic is doodoo with a boat for a main character.

But, LOTR is some REAL FILMMAKING SCHITT.

Oh, and I never saw Crash... from the STREETZ, riiiiight?

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    only watched all 3 godfather films 3 weeks ago.

I've never seen dead poets society.

Is it really worth the 2 hours?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Never saw Casablanca either. Or Citizen Kane. Never saw any Bergman films. Only Hitchcock movie I've seen is Psycho.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    But, those movies are INCREDIBLE.

I thought they were sloppy. I'm all about montage and editing. Lord of the Rings was just a lot of special effects and swooping helicopter shots. I think that's lazy filmmaking.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Never saw Casablanca either. Or Citizen Kane. Never saw any Bergman films. Only Hitchcock movie I've seen is Psycho.

Do you even like movies?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

Do you even like movies?

I will always loooove Vertigo!!

I still have not seen:

Nerds
    Blues Brothers

and probably countless other famous flicks

But recently saw not too long ago:

The Jerk

Caddyshack

I can't believe it took me this long to watch em!!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    close encounters of the third kind

I only got around to seeing this a couple months ago. It's definitely worth checking out. Obviously, the most iconic scenes have been pop-culture fodder for quite some time and can therefore lose some of their impact, but it's still a good, enjoyable movie.

This kid I went to high school with used two quotes from Point Break as his senior quotes in the yearbook. His third quote came from Young Guns II. I don't think he was being ironic, either.

wow, that's hysterical. please tell me what these quotes are. PLEASE!

anytime anyone spoked in that movie i laughed.

So I got the first quote--the "ultiamte sacrifice" one more or less correct. His other one was:

"Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. You project strength to avoid conflict."

And as a special B-side, here's the Young Guns II quote:

"Someone runs up to three kids and says, 'Hey, the world is coming to an end.' The first kid said, 'Well, I must go to the mission and pray.' The second one said, 'I'm going to get a case of mescal and six women.' And the third one said, 'I will finish the game.' I will finish the game!"

(Can anybody can tell me what the fuck that quote is supposed to mean?)

Hidden bonus track: This kid's last name is Stryker. Sounds like he should be a one-line character from Point Break.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    ive never seen west side story, just one scene which i found very and and even . i think i should smoke a joint and watch it.

you couldn't pay me to watch that turd or any musical for that matter

• But, those movies are INCREDIBLE.

I thought they were sloppy. I'm all about montage and editing. Lord of the Rings was just a lot of special effects and swooping helicopter shots. I think that's lazy filmmaking.

[lonborg/] Yeah, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on that...[/longborg]

Whatever, to each their own. I'm not usually one for special effects, but those movies were so well done it didn't make it too obvious. And, i think too many montages are too :zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:, so I liked that they had a lot of diaglogue/nat sound.