Ricci Rucker on the Controller One turntable FRESH

scebasceba 122 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
As an ex-scrach nerd this made me feel good. Nice to see the scene progressing. Think you what you think about the man's ego or message board antics etc. but this shit is just plain FRRRRESHHHHHH!

Comments

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    So it's one turntable in the sense that the song is just coming from somewhere else?

No diss, but i don't see this as a progression of much.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    All I see is some video of some guy apparently scratching a record but all I hear is some wack ass techno beat and no scratching. what gives?

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Yeah, I was hoping to hear something "amazing" especially after he put Woody on blast for releasing his video of the Controller. Hopefully Ricci will release some new videos with some crazy shit on the controller.

• scebasceba 122 Posts
    The first video he's cutting up the melody on the song. And that shit is fresh, and technically hard. I understand if the beat isnt really to your likin tho.

Here's couple more videos:

No idea about any woody vs ricci shit, haven't been following the scene that much, just got this forwarded to me from a friend. Checked the woody controller video tho, it was cool.

Also the controller one is a whole different kind of turntable but you can look it up if interested.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    The nice thing about DJ gear manufacturers is that they're not afraid to experiment. Gemini dropped that weird iKey recorder a few months back, but Vestax are the kings of weird. A few years ago, they released the Faderboard, an utterly baffling synth with no keyboard, but ten faders to play notes. It had the sound engine from a Korg Electribe, was designed by Japanese DJ Shingo2, and was completely unplayable. Then came the laughable Scratch-O-Caster turntable guitar, and now there's Controller One.

Around the side of a normal high-end scratch turntable are eight buttons, which speed up and slow down the platter according to musical notes. So, if you put on one of Vestax's special drone records, you can play notes by hitting the buttons, or sequencing them via MIDI. If you try it with a normal record, it will presumably just sound really, really irritating. Sure, it will costs ??1,000, and is pretty much the least useful thing I can imagine, but at least it's original???

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    The first video he's cutting up the melody on the song. And that shit is fresh, and technically hard. I understand if the beat isnt really to your likin tho.

Here's couple more videos:

No idea about any woody vs ricci shit, haven't been following the scene that much, just got this forwarded to me from a friend. Checked the woody controller video tho, it was cool.

Also the controller one is a whole different kind of turntable but you can look it up if interested.

I like the beat in the first video, who is that? Is that Ricci's beat?

and dude lost HELLA weight.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    The first video he's cutting up the melody on the song. And that shit is fresh, and technically hard.

It is?

You must have been a scratch nerd a long time ago if this is impressing you.

Take that delay effect away and that second video is as much of a sleeper as the first.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

I like the beat in the first video, who is that? Is that Ricci's beat?

and dude lost HELLA weight.

Did you check those Megablaster 3000(?) CDs he put out? I listened to them online (some snippets at Labcabin) and tried to get em but they??re sold out everywhere. Some REAL DEAL electrofunk stuff on there! Anyone wanna upload one?

Also that "Like a Box of Chocolates" piece he put out a little while back was nice. Really laid-back and chilled out jazzy stuff (which is NOT what I associate with the whole "turntablism" thing at all).

Cool cover too.

And yes, the man lost SERIOUS weight.

- J

• You must have been a scratch nerd a long time ago if this is impressing you.

Take that delay effect away and that second video is as much of a sleeper as the first.

if you look closely.. thats not a riff on the record that he's cutting up..he's actually hitting different pitch buttons each time, right next to the platter as he's cutting up the sound.. so it IS something new.. i like the idea of being able to make sounds/rhythms that synths cant..

also, the point is to make it listenable.. whether it's technically advanced or not..