FurnitureStrut version 478.0

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
ok, so its moving-out week around this here college town, and college kids love throwing shit away, being the scavenger i am ive been going dumpster diving every night and found this cute lil number:can anybody tell me what they know about it? its in like perfect shape, i cant believe it was just sitting on the side of the road. really heavy too.

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    ok, so its moving-out week around this here college town, and college kids love throwing shit away, being the scavenger i am ive been going dumpster diving every night and found this cute lil number:

can anybody tell me what they know about it? its in like perfect shape, i cant believe it was just sitting on the side of the road. really heavy too.

being that you found it during college town move out week - I think it's safe to assume it's def something new....like mid century knock off joint. could even be from Ikea...

• Options
    ok, so its moving-out week around this here college town, and college kids love throwing shit away, being the scavenger i am ive been going dumpster diving every night and found this cute lil number:

can anybody tell me what they know about it? its in like perfect shape, i cant believe it was just sitting on the side of the road. really heavy too.

It's a chair, orange and chrome color, probably stolen from the waiting area of a nail salon or barber shop by a drunk kid.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

It looks distinctly to me like an orange chair that you found in the dumpster.

hope that helps.

damn why ya'll got to give the kid a hard time? he just trying to get his furniture game right....sheesh.....
    don't listen to em g......I used to find ill shit in Boston because for the most part, people there have no taste....so they'd throw out all these crazy mid century functional office chairs and whatnot.....that's def the place for it....

(throwing gas on my personal boooooo for Boston fire strut just because I like bein a bit of a dipshit).

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    hey dudes. i see a lot of furniture. this is a piece of quality furniture, no way in hell its from ikea, its steel and vinyl and really well constructed, actually a decent chair, and definitely old.

i see a lot of shit that LOOKS like this, theres a surplus of old office furniture and school shit, and none of it would go anywhere near my home, its all shit. but this chair is fuckin nice and solid and heavy and decent, its not some classic piece of furniture, its probably not an eames creation or some knoll shit, but somebody on here might know something about it. im not looking to make money here, im looking to learn about what i just found.

if you think its a "knock-off" from ikea, then whats it a knock-off of?

im just curious.

id but ive been on this board way to long to deserve one of those.

• Options
    hey dudes. i see a lot of furniture. this is a piece of quality furniture, no way in hell its from ikea, its steel and vinyl and really well constructed, actually a decent chair, and definitely old.

i see a lot of shit that LOOKS like this, theres a surplus of old office furniture and school shit, and none of it would go anywhere near my home, its all shit. but this chair is fuckin nice and solid and heavy and decent, its not some classic piece of furniture, its probably not an eames creation or some knoll shit, but somebody on here might know something about it. im not looking to make money here, im looking to learn about what i just found.

im just curious.

I stand by what I said. I used to go to a barber shop that had very similar chairs, it was a nice shop and I'm assuming the shits were heavy though I never had occasion to hoist one as I am a respected member of my community who rarely gets trifled with (besides my recent stolen plants, doesn't count) (yes if a scuffle brews I instinctively grab a nearby weapon) (i'm still pissed about those plants).

Maybe you'll get an answer when the weekday crowd comes back around, i remember there were a few people on here who knew a lot about furniture but I can't recall who they were. Sorry I couldn't ID it for you, but I hope you get laid on it either way.

My couch is a Natuzzi, microfiber, if you're ever on Long Island you're more than welcome to sleep on it.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Check underneath to see if there is a maker/any info as to where it may have been manufactured.

You can then google that, see what else comes up.

If not that, you can check if there any furniture dealers in the area who specialize in mid-century furniture, and bring them a picture.

My wife brought an appraiser a photo of a chest of drawers her parents had sitting around...

Estimated price? $25,000.

Check underneath to see if there is a maker/any info as to where it may have been manufactured.

You can then google that, see what else comes up.

If not that, you can check if there any furniture dealers in the area who specialize in mid-century furniture, and bring them a picture.

My wife brought an appraiser a photo of a chest of drawers her parents had sitting around...

Estimated price? $25,000.

here we go. thanks!

im just curious.

I stand by what I said. I used to go to a barber shop that had very similar chairs, it was a nice shop and I'm assuming the shits were heavy though I never had occasion to hoist one as I am a respected member of my community who rarely gets trifled with (besides my recent stolen plants, doesn't count) (yes if a scuffle brews I instinctively grab a nearby weapon) (i'm still pissed about those plants).

Maybe you'll get an answer when the weekday crowd comes back around, i remember there were a few people on here who knew a lot about furniture but I can't recall who they were. Sorry I couldn't ID it for you, but I hope you get laid on it either way.

My couch is a Natuzzi, microfiber, if you're ever on Long Island you're more than welcome to sleep on it.

hah, yeah im not doubting it might have been, sorry about that nature of that post, i was in a fuckin horrible mood all day today.

lemme know what you find...i'm always down for some furniture/midcentury talk.
    wife and i just balled out on our first major purchase, which is the stellar fucking desk I am typing on right now. not to mention that it took all my drunken will power not to write a LENGTHY ode to the St. louis arch on here after just traveling to the 'lou.

Man, that arch is fucking incredible. Mid 20th century design at its finest.

b/w

i grew up in a college town, and did plenty of dumpster diving in my time. my favorite was when my friend Mike found an answering machine, and took it home. Plugged it in, played it, and heard...'Hey, you've reached Mike. Leave a message at the beep.'

He kept it for 5 years; never changed the message.

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts

it looks like a orange chair that a college boy has been sitting nude and been masturbatin in every night the last two years

it looks like a orange chair that a college boy has been sitting nude and been masturbatin in every night the last two years

and you know this how?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

Eero Saarinen is the man behind it, who incidentally is the genius behind some of the best chairs in the 20th century.

ako - sorry I can't id this one for you.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    late 60's mod chair. probably retro manufacturer though bought for 75 to 125. If original it would go for 400 dollars easily. No way its original because that vinyl covering couldn't last that long and look that good without constant care.

But I like what fredfades said, you'll have that image in your mind for now on.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    since we are doing chair price checks can I get one on a wicker chair similar to this?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    No way its original because that vinyl covering couldn't last that long and look that good without constant care.

But I like what fredfades said, you'll have that image in your mind for now on.

Your balls would sweat like nothing else?

There is nothing wrong with having a nice-looking chair that's well made but from the last 10 years or so. Just stick in your trades pile when you og up.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    free fuckin cool chair, who cares.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    AKO,
    I'm one of the furniture fiends here. Just because the vinyl is in great shape doesn't mean the chair is a repro/retro type. If it was inside and wasn't used very often that vinyl could stay mint for decades. Because it carries some weight is a good sign, too. No idea who it's by, but I'll try and remember to take a look through some vintage chair books I've got.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    since we are doing chair price checks can I get one on a wicker chair similar to this?

I got this exact chair for my vanity...for free.

thats how I roll...lol

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I got this exact chair for my vanity...for free.

thats how I roll...lol

word, thrift shop pick up last week. I looked like a gotdam parade float rolling down the freeway with it strapped to the room of my Neon

most of the cloth on the underside is missing...so maybe its not perfect, but the parts you see look pretty damn good, aside from some minor rust spots on the bottom parts. either way, the label is gone, that was the first thing i checked for when i got it home.

Eero Saarinen is the man behind it, who incidentally is the genius behind some of the best chairs in the 20th century.

I'm partial to his womb chair:

As I was rattling on about the arch, and saarinen's work, best believe the folls i was traveling with got b-0-r-e-d.

Fuck 'em, though. That arch is beautiful.

• jyrijyri 24 Posts
    Went through some books about finnish and scandinavian design and furniture design at work but couldn't find the chair there.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

his dad was'nt so bad either:

SHIT - I wish the link was still up - and for all I know someone could've posted this up before - but the actual chair that Eddie Kendricks sat in on the cover of People...Hold On was put up on ebay by Eddie's widow a few months back. I don't know what it ended up selling for - but that shit was BANANAS.

• jyrijyri 24 Posts

his dad was'nt so bad either:

Eliel Saarinen's work is amongst the classics of Finnish architecture. He did lots of jugend-styled buildings. And he worked in the States also.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    SHIT - I wish the link was still up - and for all I know someone could've posted this up before - but the actual chair that Eddie Kendricks sat in on the cover of People...Hold On was put up on ebay by Eddie's widow a few months back. I don't know what it ended up selling for - but that shit was BANANAS.

alert.