what do i ground my mixer too?

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
if my turntable doesnt have a grounding point....this hum is killing me

Comments

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Uh, I think you have that backwards, you should be grounding your turntable to your mixer, not your mixer to your turntable. What kind of mixer is it? Is the casing metal? Are there screws holding the casing on? You should be able to unscrew a screw and wrap your ground wire around it and screw it back in, that should do the trick.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    my mixer has a grounding point

my turntable doenst

its one of those Stanton ones

• ajrafflesajraffles 124 Posts
    Is there a wire out the back (of the turntable) accompanying the two phono cords though? There ought to be, unless it has gotten pulled out somewhere down the road.

nah

didnt come with one

this is why im so fucking confused

• no ground wire on the turntables at all? sure about that?

no ground wire on the turntables at all? sure about that?

positive

i just dug up the manual too

and it says nothing of any grounding wires

i never really thought of it til i started getting some hum

but this is ridiculous

Does this help?

Hooking up the STR8-150 was simple, perhaps even more so than with other turntables. There's not much to do: Plug in the power, connect the outputs and go. The turntable is self-grounding, so there's no flimsy ground wire to fumble with. This is great in principle because those ground wires tend to clutter things and seem to get chewed up awfully easily, but you'll have to take care where you plug in the STR8-150. When I first set up the turntable, I connected the power to a different circuit than my mixer and was greeted with a nasty hum. Bummer! For days, I thought I'd have to send the deck back, but I experimented a bit more and found that the hum disappeared when I plugged it in to the same outlet as my mixer. That's not a big deal, but something to be aware of when planning your setup ??? and something that could have been resolved with a simple ground wire.

http://remixmag.com/dj_and_performance/remix_stanton_str_2/

• strange..I dont know dude. I dont really have any experience with any decks besides 1200s, so no clue. Weird the manual doesnt even mention it.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Does this help?

Hooking up the STR8-150 was simple, perhaps even more so than with other turntables. There's not much to do: Plug in the power, connect the outputs and go. The turntable is self-grounding, so there's no flimsy ground wire to fumble with. This is great in principle because those ground wires tend to clutter things and seem to get chewed up awfully easily, but you'll have to take care where you plug in the STR8-150. When I first set up the turntable, I connected the power to a different circuit than my mixer and was greeted with a nasty hum. Bummer! For days, I thought I'd have to send the deck back, but I experimented a bit more and found that the hum disappeared when I plugged it in to the same outlet as my mixer. That's not a big deal, but something to be aware of when planning your setup ??? and something that could have been resolved with a simple ground wire.

http://remixmag.com/dj_and_performance/remix_stanton_str_2/

Crazy. What an odd concept. What's so difficult about a ground wire? Seems like you're better off having it...

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    those are not phono level outs- the turntable has a built in "booster" that bumps it up a notch, and is grounded internally (like a CD player, tape deck, etc.)
    Plug those turntables into a AUX-Input (the input channel) on your mixer, not the phono inputs.
    hope it helps.

those are not phono level outs- the turntable has a built in "booster" that bumps it up a notch, and is grounded internally (like a CD player, tape deck, etc.)
    Plug those turntables into a AUX-Input (the input channel) on your mixer, not the phono inputs.
    hope it helps.

I'm not saying this isn't the right approach (at all), but this - from a design point, initially - seems like the real madness here. This approach requires compatible mixers to have two dedicated AUX inputs (i.e. both/all in many cases, right?) to the detriment of other devices you might want to put there (minidisc player etc).

The original external grounding wire design of most decks seems the simplest (least superfluous circuitry) approach - as evidenced by 'em still going strong some twenty-odd years on (I'm looking lovingly at my Technics 1400MK2 as I type this. . .Loc: alert).

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    hope it helps.

I'm not saying this isn't the right approach (at all), but this - from a design point, initially - seems like the real madness here. This approach requires compatible mixers to have two dedicated AUX inputs (i.e. both/all in many cases, right?) to the detriment of other devices you might want to put there (minidisc player etc).

The original external grounding wire design of most decks seems the simplest (least superfluous circuitry) approach - as evidenced by 'em still going strong some twenty-odd years on (I'm looking lovingly at my Technics 1400MK2 as I type this. . .Loc: alert).

Perhaps its not the case if its a Stanton we're talking about, but modern decks that don't have PHONO outputs are generally geared towards folks who are hooking it up directly to a modern amp (b/c it would be hard to find one with a PHONO in nowadays) who consider it a great/neccessary bonus (as they'd have to buy an external preamp otherwise).

Well, I'll be.
    The world done changed.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    hope it helps.

Perhaps its not the case if its a Stanton we're talking about, but modern decks that don't have PHONO outputs are generally geared towards folks who are hooking it up directly to a modern amp (b/c it would be hard to find one with a PHONO in nowadays) who consider it a great/neccessary bonus (as they'd have to buy an external preamp otherwise).
    exactly. that's really the only reason manufacturers stopped w/ external grounding- it was difficult for most consumers walking into a circuit city to find a receiver that a record player would plug directly into.

As for the design screwing you over on a say, two channel mixer- yeah, it does screw you out of two otherwise useful inputs on the mixer- although some mixers have a selector switch for phono or line level inputs on one of the input lines. (Or at least, I've seen Ecler's and Ranes that have it.)

[fears change]A lot of the newer Stantons and Numarks have USB outputs so you can digitize your vinyl directly to your computer.[/fears change]

[fears change]A lot of the newer Stantons and Numarks have USB outputs so you can digitize your vinyl directly to your computer.[/fears change]

Soon it will be via wireless or BlueTooth connection. . .this is the RIAA's worst nightmare.