I'll never forget the time...( RR NRR )

JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
What are your most memorable moments? Things that will never leave you....the good and the Bad.Some Good Things:Our first Date. Cheesy Poofs and some dude named Randy.When I got offered a job in the V.I. got on a plane and didn't come back for almost 2 years.Meeting Desmond Dekker.My first Art Show b/w Selling my first paintingEating mushrooms for the first time with my mom @ 14 listening to Bob Marley and watching fireworks at the High School I would later attend.Buying my first collection / and just recently rejecting one for the first time (I had apparently got all the good stuff when I was in there 3 years before)Discovering my first break without someone telling me about it first13th Floor Elevators, David Newman, Loot Pack, Shit yeah.Second week working for C***g, showing up to work and Finding Josh going through 45's in the back. It was 5 years ago, I hadn't been into breaks or rare grooves for too long at that point. He was on his way to visit his granny in Tacoma, or so he said. I was pretty star struck and to my knowledge, no one else has ever had that privilege. I think one of my first posts was about this, I'm almost positive you guys made fun of me.Playing Pool with DJ Drez and Buku One and totally kicking there ass!! Back when I first moved to Portland, I spent most of my time playing pool. It got to the point that Strangers were betting on me, I started considering going Pro. I met with a pool shaman but things never materialized. I hardly play anymore, but when I do people still accuse my sharking.....I never play like I don't know....so that shit pisses me off. Some of my best memories are kicking old dudes butts when they didn't see me coming though. 9 ball forever baby.Selling our first $100 dollar-dollar bin.Our first big come up, Disco was it for us in 2006, it all started with Fuzzy......see above.Some not so good things.I broke my arm and my parents didn't believe me, had to wait till the next day to get it checked out.I was trapped on a Desert Island on Lake Powell for over 5 hours before being rescued.Eating Acid for the last time nearly 10 years ago, Going to catch ANTS only to have the movie theatre catch fire, we would learn the next day that a pamphlet given to us on our way in was a boycott Edwards for unsafe fire codes.Getting stung by a scorpion, and then narrowly escaping a rattlesnake attack the next day.Totaling my moms uninsured truck a month after I got my DL @ 16.Passing on playing a private party for PrinceWatching a dude fall out of a plane, his parachute didn't open.Finding out my brother had put my mom in the hospitalGetting angry and ending up with 5 stitches and a disabled diggin' finger due to nerve damage. ( most recent ) Probably pretty boring in comparison to a lot of you folks, So Shock and Awe me with your tops and bottoms. Inquiring minds want to know.What are some things in your life you will never forget?

Comments

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Good things:

- I saw Rob Base, Donald D and Ice-T in concert (first rap show).

- I heard/saw the video for TROY by Pete Rock & CL Smooth.

- of my first date with wifey, falling on my a$$ trying to ice skate (high school days). Then burning my tongue cuz the food was so damn hot. You can see I made quite an impact.

- I did college radio show (don't know how our little show got to interview the likes of The Gza, Julio G (KDAY), Supreme and others).

- I would hear people talk about breaks, soul and funk and remember my dad playing a lot of the tracks (He's mexican and from Kansas, I wouldn't figure out how funky he was until I grew up!).

- I used to be able to raid dollar bins (no more stores around).

- I saw the first YO! Mtv Raps

Damn there are 2 Too Many!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I will never forget New Orleans as it once was.

I will never forget spending time with my grandfather in Panama before he passed when I was 3. I remember in particular a day that he took me to a space-themed neighborhood park and upon seeing that members of the park's landscaping crew had left their boots and machetes on the rocket structure, I assumed that they belonged to space men.

I will never forget all of the football and basketball games that my dad took me to at the Superdome when I was a kid.

I will never forget marching with my cornet in Mardi Gras parades.

I will never forget first spotting my now-wife walking down the street and immediately falling in love with her.

I will never forget the birth of my daughter.

I will never forget my father-in-law...RIP.

I will never forget my little cousin...RIP.

I will never forget when Vince Young pranced into the endzone to beat punk-ass USC for a national title.

On the bad side, I will never forget the night that I fucked up my shoulder beating the crap out of this dude who along with his twin brother had been stalking a girl that lived down the street from me when I was in high school.

Oh yeah, I will never forget the time that I got pulled over for drag-racing nobody in my 77 Buick Regal, going 65 in a 35, drunk as fuck in broad daylight and miraculously the cop who had already been yelling at me as if he wanted to kill me got a more important call and had to let me go. Thank you God for that one...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

Eating Acid for the last time nearly 10 years ago, Going to catch ANTS only to have the movie theatre catch fire, we would learn the next day that a pamphlet given to us on our way in was a boycott Edwards for unsafe fire codes.

this explains a lot.

Passing on playing a private party for Prince

Probably pretty boring in comparison to a lot of you folks,

very.

• i will never forget the time i busted my ass at EZ-7(because there will be a scar on my forearm forever)

check the hole on top, inch deep puncture wound from a rusty bolt sticking out of the ground

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

uh-oh. here we go again. wrrow!

• ajrafflesajraffles 124 Posts
    Thank you God for that one...

Then I hope you've never drunk-driven ever again.

My "Thank you God" moment came at Belfast airport when IMMEDIATELY upon entering the terminal (nowhere near the check-in desk etc) I was approached by a fatigued-up soldier and asked to be searched. I was with my wife and parents and he proceeded to pat me down. As he finished on my left leg ( etc)) and patted my left ankle, I imperceptibly kicked my leg outwards sufficiently far enough so that despite his hand touching the small lump in my sock he did not to register it.
    The lump = some leftover *boom* that I had not had a chance to jettison either at the hotel or on the car ride to the airport.
    So 'thank you', [Insert Deity of choice], for not subjecting me to an international drug trafficking charge I did not need.

I am a little cold-sweaty just reminiscing about this episode, truth be told.

• off the top of my head...a few dope things

-hitting my first windmill to flare combo
    -finding and og skull snaps for $1 at swapmeet
    -runnin away for 4 months with no regrets
    -exploring the land and crevasses of the females body with my bare hands for the first time
    -sucking on fake tits
    -my first bowl of kush
    -graduating hight school a year early
    -meeting my queen and getting married after 10 years without telling the fam

bad things would probably be

-getting ran over by a car
    -getting a beatdown by 12 cholos
    -someone stealing my first jordans at a bowling ally
    -stealing a g from my parents to buy some baseball cards (idiot!)
    -getting lost at circus circus for an hour when i was 7

that's all i guess...

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    hmmm....

i'll never forget:

my first nachos
    the first time i heard "rebel without a pause"
    watching thunderstorms with my pop when i was 7
    see a story on hip hop on ripley's believe it or not and how that changed my life
    all the times i had "relations" in pulic places
    driving away from home for the first time after getting my license with no where to go but going anyway
    when we opened for PE in 1990 in a sold out 5000 seat venue in van city bc
    the first time seeing jazzy jeff fuck up some records
    the several times i've thrown up in public
    seeing run dmc and beastie boys on the "together forever" tour
    the first time we admitted we were in love with each other
    the last time we spoke - 4 years ago and it was a shitty conversation
    painting my fist graff piece in 84
    my first bike - huffy bandit
    the first time i heard "come clean"
    the first time i smoked some at a party in the woods and sat in my car listening to daily operation and eating a bad of cheddar potato chips
    mr and mrs johnson and the effect they had on my life
    waking up to the phone on september 11th and my brother calling me to say "turn on the tv."
    all the first kisses
    holding my first neice and thinking, "hey, i could have one of these"
    scratching the snare on the first record i produced (remix for sharpshooters "massacre" test pressing)

i wish i could forget
    how depressed i was living with a woman i didn't love and barely liked
    taking off my glasses before getting jumped by 3 dudes with 40 oz bottles
    the drive-by on my house and almost losing my brother to some son of a bitch (cop's son) gun maniac and how he got away completely scott free because of his fucked up father
    new years day 2002
    when i was flexing my ice t 6 in the morning / ya don't stop 12" and having it snap in my hands
    when i started realizing that my grandmother doesn't know my name anymore and knowing she won't know my face much longer.... alzheimer's sucks pretty bad
    the day my grandfather passed
    the day james brown passed - other granpa told me
    the day dilla passed - proh mic texted me
    the day first cat passed - we put her down
    the day my best friend's mom passed

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Off the top of the dome...

Running UP a DOWN escalator, slamming and getting a 2 inch gash in my shin when I was 10-11.
    The last time I did acid
    My grandpa's death
    High School... all but 2 of my old school friends can go fuck themselves
    My friend Dan dying of an overdose just 3 weeks ago
    Disney Corporation
    Car payments

Seeing Public Enemy at the Royal Albert Hall, London in '88 (I think)
    Seeing BDP and Ice-T in Kent, UK, around '86-'87
    Seeing the Bones Brigade in '87 after waiting around for an hour in the rain in a dodgy part of London. SO WORTH IT.
    The birth of my daughter
    Peter Luger's steakhouse in Brooklyn
    Skateboarding (in particular South Bank. Many, many fond memories. R.I.P.)
    Shooting my .357 at the range
    Hearing a song you've never heard before and it totally freaks you the fuck out.
    Goodfellas
    Dropping the bags on my '64 Riviera and freaking the fuck out of people on the street

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    ...when this supercute girl I had met the night before (she was a friend of my girlfriend of the week which I dumped the same night) agreed to have dinner with me. This was over 16 years ago, we've been married for two years now and I don't even want to think about what my life would have looked like if I hadn't met her. Best weekend find of my life.

• these are all high school memories (but RR)

seeing the roots in 1998 promoting do you want more?!?! best hip hop show i've seen to date..

when i was 14, i printed out the rap-sample FAQ (at that time it was about 200 pages)..and went out to look for the records.. i came across a now-defunct record&book store with everything priced at 3 for a dollar.. i spent the whole weekend and got all the CTI i ever wanted..that was my first real come-up..

waiting in anticipation for 2 live crew videos to play on The Box, so i could uhh.. use the restroom...

when my mom wouldnt let me see boyz in the hood and my dad ended up taking me (pops knew the time!!) because i didnt tell him mom would care..

when i was 16, my friend and i rode for wu-tang hard.. gum-wrappers on our teeth, timbos on our toes, skullies, hoodies and army gear for days.. we knew we were ahead of the game, but no one at school liked east coast rap until a few years later.. (by the second wu-tang album).. we got dissed hard..

• i guess the roots show was in 1996..

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I will never forget being a six year old, and my geologist dad taking me to pee on the continental divide on a cross country roadtrip.

b/w

i will never forget walking into the driveway with my face swollen shut because of poison ivy, on my way to the hospital, and being served as a defendant in a $275,000 civil suit.
    That sucked hard.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

-getting lost at circus circus for an hour when i was 7

that's all i guess...

Ha ha...

I didn't get lost, I knew where I was, but my mom couldn't find me for well over an hour at my first jazz concert at the train station when I was around 6-7. I had gone on a guided tour with some people that thought I was just bored. My mom was totally freaked.

threads like these always bring back a lot of memories.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

waiting in anticipation for 2 live crew videos to play on The Box, so i could uhh.. use the restroom...

REAL TALK.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I will never forget being a six year old, and my geologist dad taking me to pee on the continental divide on a cross country roadtrip.

hahaha me and pops poured out a diet coke!

• ajrafflesajraffles 124 Posts

hahaha me and pops poured out a diet coke!

Ha Ha! R.I.P. geo-transtectonic-unity. Mourn you till the next Ice Age.

-AJ

• manchildmanchild 56 Posts
    I will never forget last night.
    Went and saw Sharon Jones last night for free (they killed it), got on the subway, start talking to couple of dudes randomly, turns out they were friends of the girl I was staying with in toronto and they were rolling to a bar downtown. Then I got an SMS from Pretty Purdie after I sent a couple of emails requesting an interview
    Then we go to the bar and some guy drops down next to me and starts chatting to us. Turns out he's a DJ too. DJ Jazzy Jay. Proceeds to tell me all kind of crazy stories about the start of Def Jam, all kinds of shit. Gives me his number and says we should hook up.
    That was a nice little unexpected night

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    first girl i had sex with was claire gross when i was 13. we listened to the ramones and ewf and smoked clove cigs.

first time i smoked bud i was 13 and with my friend dore in his house listening to the red hot chili peppers and classical music.

i was 10 when i started writing Jinx74. we did a day long run from fishermans wharf to my house in the outer mission just throwin up tags and little characters all the way home. did the opposite a year later but from tanforan to my house. damn buses wouldnt pick us up. took us 6hrs to walk home. probably shouldnt of thrown rocks at the buses that passed us.

i remember my mom teaching me how to shave at 13 cause my dad was working nights. my school said my facial hair was getting too long.

i remember being 16 grabbing a few guns and stole a couple of mustangs to run up to petaluma and stomp out some white boys who were talking shit to me and my girl who lived up there. got into A LOT of trouble with the law and my parents after that one.

i remember when i was 7 and the police beat up my dad cause my uncle used his name as an alias. punk police had 13 cars drive up my block, knock around another uncle who was at my house, push around my mom and aunt, threw me up against the fridge, and pretty much ransacked my house cause my dad went through a red light. ive hated police ever since and have never trusted a pig fucking cop.

i remember when i was 4 and my dad brought me to the fire dept up by CCSF. he knew some of the guys and they let showed me around the dept. they lit a packet of matches and threw them by the fire pole and a guy slid down it and stomped out the fire. that was the coolest thing my 4yr old eyes had ever seen.

i remember being about 11 or 12 and being up north at this campsite my folks go to. my dad and i were out around midnight or so just chilling at the lake and saw three bright lights: blue, red, green. they were so fast and stopped just as quick. two flew off and one trailed behind it. they fly planes up there sometimes but it was the most bugged out thing we saw. we ran and told my mom but she was like "yeah... okay." i swore it was ufos. if you believe in that kind of thing.

i remember getting fucked with by the police outside of denver with paychizzle. thank god the one hispanic police man was the one to handle us cause those redneck fucks wanted nothing better than to throw us both in jail. at least we had karaoke afterwards.

i remember when i was 26 and my grandfather was killed while riding his bicycle up on skyline blvd. the dude hit him early in the morning and took off. he called the police and did return to the scene though. however i caught him a few months later drinking at a bar. his license was permanently suspended but he was getting into a car anyway. i drug him out of the car and beat his ass in the parking lot. no way was i going to let that motherfucker drive off like that.

i remember buying my first collection. 8000+ pieces. also remember my first big buy: $200 for 100% Pure Poison.

i remember sitting down about to eat my lunch when i get a phone call from Darondo. an hour and a half later i finally got to eat.

my two best road trips:

1. odub, matt webb and me in 4 states in two weeks. matt and i running through the basement and back rooms of out of the past and buying 300+ pieces for about $600 total. huge score in indiana around the block from yoderifics house: allison and calvin on calcomo, black conspirators, billy ball on apollo, roosevelt matthews on king, spider harrison on lulu, and some other local indy record for under $300. jason was PISSED! but shit dude at least you got that A/C later on down the line. oh and odub setting us up at the hooker motel. nice!

2. yoderific and i in indiana for 8 days. too many rare to talk about. the best for me was the rhythm machine test press. i think for yoder it was the monte carlos white label. that shit was bonkers... oh and i almost got saved from dude too. hahaha... jason is hilarious!

and blah blah blah...

• BlackmarksBlackmarks 155 Posts

if you don't know, shut the fuck up.

and i know you don't know.

bitch.

if you don't know, shut the fuck up.

and i know you don't know.

bitch.

so much anger here on the strut nowadays.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    first girl i had sex with was claire gross when i was 13.

yo dude...too much info.

yo dude...too much info.

dont be sensitive. people have sex. its not unusual. maybe for you it is...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

yo dude...too much info.

dont be sensitive. people have sex. its not unusual. maybe for you it is...

the full name seemed a bit wierd that's all. carry on.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    - The first time I watched Spinal Tap.
    - The first time I walked into a recording studio - when recording studios still had soul.
    - When Matthew Larkin Cassell called me at work after writing him just hoping it was actually him.
    - When Billy Idol came to my sister's Sweet 16.
    - When in a casual conversation with E-40 and two others, he asked me a question and I replied "nah" to which he replied "I wouldn't put it past you tycoon."
    - When they tore down the original Studio City carwash at the corner of Laurel Canyon Ventura
    - When the original Guitar Center on Ventura Blvd burned down.
    - The Northridge quake...that shit was ill.
    - Being 10 and somehow ending up in a line of lowriders (I was in the car with my friend who's mom was driving) in which the front car was being driven buy Eazy E. He hit three wheels and pulled a sharp U-turn at which point my friends mom rolled down the window and yelled out "hiiiiiii Eazzzzzyyy!" to which he replied (in a I'm talking to a mother and little kids voice), "Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii."
    - The first time I got over at a record store where dude knew NOTHING about the collection he just got in...Liberated Brother for $12.00, Crazy Legs for $10.00, etc.
    - Saturday Morning cartoons on the carpet with a glass of Quik....very fresh.
    - After leaving a message, geting a phone call the other day, picking up and saying hello and hearing "Hey man, it's Shuggie Otis." that was pretty rad.

way too many more to post

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    GOOD!
    When I completed my first album
    Had many stripper g/f's
    Moving to Atlanta & having a place of my own at 18
    Traveling all over the SouthEast with my job
    Winning alot of loot at the Casino in Gulf Port,Mississippi
    Getting vital knowledge about recording and producing

Bad!!
    My bro & his substance abuse problems
    Having to cut old friends loose
    Arrested for too many things to name
    Still working for corporate America
    Fights with my father!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Had many stripper g/f's

Moving to Atlanta

Coincidence?

• Options
    -sucking on fake tits

Were they implanted yet?

This thread is timed perfectly, I dug out my boxes of photos yesterday to educate my girlfriend as to how I was built this way. Some highlights:

-Going to Japan in '98 with my friend's band and signing autographs after the show. There are a bunch of Japanese kids with $60 Vision Of Disorder t-shirts or $80 sweatshirts and "SWEENDOG" written in huge letters on it. Some poor girls have photos with me too, although I'm sure by now they've stopped trying to figure out who the hell I am.

-Going up to my friend's family's compound upstate NY, they got 240 acres (not ballers, been in their family for years). Me and the squad ate a bunch of mushrooms and shot clay pigeons all morning (yes, guns and hallucenigenics mix sometimes, I didn't miss once) then built a bonfire 8 feet high (before it was lit). When we ran out of wood we cut a 15 foot tree down and threw that on.

-Getting pulled over in NYC on Orchard St. with a burning joint in my hand and all they did was make me walk home. I walked around the block, got back in the car and bounced.

-Recording "Jam On It" on a cassette recorder off a transistor radio in '83, then going down to the supermarket in town with some cardboard and a couple friends and trying to make money breakdancing. We wound up playing stickball instead.

-Watching my dad get arrested during a brawl at Ground Zero for punching a cop, than having my mom grab my shirt when I tried to go get him and yell "No honey, you've got a job!!!" I always thought that was funny.

-First time I heard "Protect Ya Neck" and thinking it was the greatest shit I ever heard, and trying to figure out just how many mcs were in this group!!

-When me and my crew from back then would get tattooed, we'd all try and keep it a secret as to when we were going but someone would find out and then everyone would show up. Poor Mike Ledger would have 10 kids peeking into his booth.

-And damn man, the day they found my brother? Shit. Half my town was cruising by my house all day long, the word was out a few hours before we even knew about it. People were just waiting for us to find out so we could start the party. No one on here, I can GUARANTEE no one on here has ever been to a party like the one we had after his funeral. We had the priest doing stagedives off the bar.

-Finding RAMP in the middle of a stack at a dirty-ass shop that was packed to the rafters and thinking that I scored the ultimate all-time grail.

-Selling RAMP in our Heatrock auctions, mandrew bought it.

-Staying overnights on our boat growing up, and spending most summer days out on the water learning my way around the bays out here. Thank god I'm friends with a bunch of dudes who were all raised the same way.

-Stumbling on a boulder at Kramwells in Oahu the first night I was ever there and catching 7 stitches in my forehead plus a bunch of permanent coral burns on my wrist. Nice way to start a vacation.

-Jumping out of a plane for the first time, same Oahu trip as above.

Man I could go on and on and on, I just drank a ton of coffee. Nice thread.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Mispelling Buttonhole during my Catholic School Spelling Bee. I was in the fifth grade representing my class and I messed up in front of a church full of kids........

• Options
    Mispelling Buttonhole during my Catholic School Spelling Bee. I was in the fifth grade representing my class and I messed up in front of a church full of kids........

Oh man, misspelling "Lithesome" (what the fuck does that even mean?) in 4th grade to come in 8th in the district, then "eradicable" in 6th grade to come in 3rd. Same girl won both years, and i swear it was rigged. Her words were mad easy, mine were hard as fuck, and the lady pronouncing mine fucked them up a bit but spoke the girl's pho-net-ic-ally. I'm still pissed. I saw her in a bar yeaaars later and tried to get her number just so I could not call her the next day, but she wasn't having it. Fucking girl keeps life-beating me.

Yes. I won a thesauraus and then a dictionary, but lost out on the car.