The Simpsons.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Much funnier than Transformers and Harry Potter put togethers!!!Plus I saw Bart's widdle diddle.

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

Plus I saw Bart's widdle diddle.

PAUSE

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Much funnier than Transformers and Harry Potter put togethers!!!

Plus I saw Bart's widdle diddle.

oh shit I forgot that was dropping tonight!!! If only I had realized a half hour earlier, I might have made a midnight showing. I think a matin??e tomorrow is in store.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    did you think the trailer was funny?

i was full of doubt until i saw some real clips so i'm optimitic again, but seriously does anyone else think these official simpsons trailers are

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Considering that I've rarely found the TV show funny
    for the past 6 or 7 years, I have very low expectations
    for the movie. It looks like a 90 minute episode of the
    2006 version of the show. AKA

I'll see it, no doubt - but I expect to get more
    pleasure from re-watching my Season 4 DVD's.

yesterday i had to get an emergency filling at the dentist due to a dutch crunch bread catastrophe @ lunchtime and my dentist put on simpsons episodes for me with noise canceling headphones to dull the drill sound. i'm not mad, even when they suck simpsons episodes are still really comforting to me

• i think i won't watch the movie. i always loved the colors in the simpsons. did you notice that they used totally different colors in the movie? almost neon like. and the newer episodes have been really dull. entertaining, but not funny.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Truedat.

After season 11 things went really downhill - the show should stop.

I'm in the cinemas sunday though.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Never!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

this show is probably my favorite cartoon ever, by far one of the BEST shows ever, and thats only counting about seasons 3-10.

anything before or after that was pretty fuckin worthless. but right in that middle section it was fucking GENIUS

fuck a family guy, fuck a south park, fuck an adult swim...they all have theyre moments but simpsons did humor with style, grace, subtlety and usually timelessness (wait, no constant pop culture references? no fucking worthless points trying to be made? no stupid political bullshit that will make the show outdated in a year or two? and its still HILARIOUS? amazing!!!)

a pretty fuckin well-written show. pretty much ANYBODY can watch it and appreciate everything that happens.

im hoping they brought some of the old writers back. i saw a newer episode the other day and i dont think i laughed once. in fact i was feeling a little embarassed for how HARD it was TRYING to be funny and failing miserably. but, i watched part of the season 9 DVD a couple days ago and was laughing out loud multiple times every episode.

what im sayin' is the simpsons WAS a great show. ive lost interest so much now that it might as well have stopped running 7 years ago.

im gonna see this movie, but i have no expectations at this moment.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    yesterday i had to get an emergency filling at the dentist due to a dutch crunch bread catastrophe @ lunchtime and my dentist put on simpsons episodes for me with noise canceling headphones to dull the drill sound. i'm not mad, even when they suck simpsons episodes are still really comforting to me

Your dentist is awsome. Mine plays ABBA, which is worse than the drill noise.

I don't get the hate. I've never seen an episode of the Simpsons where I thought it was terrible and had to change the channel. There's nothing so different about season 11 (or any other season, for that matter) that makes it unwatchable for me compared to the previous seasons. The Simpsons is probably the most consistent show on TV, ever. I know I will enjoy the movie, and I haven't even seen a trailer for it.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Besides my parents and a couple teachers, the Simpsons probably had a greater impact on who I am today than any other influence.

That said, I have found the show unwatchable in the last 6 years, and I blame the writers for out and out laziness and complacency. With that in mind, I will NOT be seeing this movie in the theatre, and I am still on the fence if I will even watch it on DVD. Frankly, I see no reason to reward and pay money to people who have shown utter contempt for their audience over the last six years.

See, I ain't buying any of that shit. The show is not that bad. There hasn't been a worthwhile episode since 2001? Please. Maybe you put too much on it. Just sayin'. To each his own, but I gotta defend my yellow folks here.

See, I ain't buying any of that shit. The show is not that bad. There hasn't been a worthwhile episode since 2001? Please. Maybe you put too much on it. Just sayin'. To each his own, but I gotta defend my yellow folks here.

DUDE. In the last few years, it has been hot fucking garbage, and COMPLETELY unable to sustain an original plot for 22 minutes without resorting to the most tired humor.

The show used to break ground...Now? STALE, 3 day old shit.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I saw this last night, but maybe won't bother to post a more in-depth review as it seems like most people have already made up their minds how they're going to feel about it.

I stopped watching the show regularly sometime in the late 90s, and the Simpsons Movie was waaaay funnier than any of the episodes I've caught in the last 5 years, and probably as good as a Simpsons movie could be in 2007, but nowhere near a prime Simpsons episode. Anyone expecting some Next Level shit will definitely be disappointed, but anyone who wants to go see a perfectly good comedy will have a good time.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Disco Stu will never die

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I'm going Sunday whether the show is still good or not. It's on batches...

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    i think i won't watch the movie. i always loved the colors in the simpsons. did you notice that they used totally different colors in the movie? almost neon like. and the newer episodes have been really dull. entertaining, but not funny.

I think the color issue is more to do with crappy standard definition Fox broadcasting. Not even HD DVDs look as good on a 50" plasma as they do on an 50 foot THX screen.

That said, I have found the show unwatchable in the last 6 years, and I blame the writers for out and out laziness and complacency.

the show's been around for almost 20 years so i'd imagine it would be hard to not run out of ideas. i wouldn't say it's complacency or laziness.

That said, I have found the show unwatchable in the last 6 years, and I blame the writers for out and out laziness and complacency.

the show's been around for almost 20 years so i'd imagine it would be hard to not run out of ideas. i wouldn't say it's complacency or laziness.

Sure comes across that way, as they run over the same goddamn plots over and over...I mean, how many times can homer leave marge or vice versa before you should put the show to bed?

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    i think they definitely hit a low point a few years ago, but in my opinion, they have been stepping it up a bit in the past year or 2.

Regardless, I've been watching them for over half my life, since before they even had their own show, so I don't really have a choice but to go see the movie (and I'm looking forward to it )

Sure comes across that way, as they run over the same goddamn plots over and over...I mean, how many times can homer leave marge or vice versa before you should put the show to bed?

what i noticed about the recent seasons is that there is less plot and more random stoney nonsense and pop culture allusions. it's not as assaultive as family guy which is a barrage of that in comparison, but it seems like the earlier seasons of the simpsons always had some moral plot and the new ones are just kind of aimless. i'm just glad they stopped doing episodes with musical numbers. those suck so bad that they don't even rerun them on the syndication channel here. i'd rather take these pointless random episodes than hear a 3 minute song about the springfield monorail.

there have been a couple of episodes in recent years that i liked though like the one where Homer and Bart convert to catholicism. Marge envisions Catholic heaven as everyone doing river dance on a giant cloud. That was so good

edit: i found it

what i noticed about the recent seasons is that there is less plot and more random stoney nonsense and pop culture allusions. it's not as assaultive as family guy which is a barrage of that in comparison, but it seems like the earlier seasons of the simpsons always had some moral plot and the new ones are just kind of aimless. i'm just glad they stopped doing episodes with musical numbers. those suck so bad that they don't even rerun them on the syndication channel here. i'd rather take these pointless random episodes than hear a 3 minute song about the springfield monorail.

there have been a couple of episodes in recent years that i liked though like the one where Homer and Bart convert to catholicism. Marge envisions Catholic heaven as everyone doing river dance on a giant cloud. That was so good

Please to not hate on MONORAIL Song...

Seriously, though, i agree with your other take, and that is one of my main beefs. if they can't sustain a story for 22 minutes, why bother with 90?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Please to not hate on MONORAIL Song...

One of the best.

"But Main Street's still all cracked and broken!"
    "Sorry, mom, the mob has spoken!"

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i abandoned the simpson when it got slapstick.

what happened to domestically abusive homer who would strangle bart all the time?

now its just homer the boob. on some three stooges shit

simpsons used to be a caustic parody of american values liefstyles and pretensions

it lost that edge and got real milktoast

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I know it's opening day but the theater in downtown culver city sold out both a matinee and their 8pm show and we came for a 3:30 show that will prob sell out too. Ticket sellers said more folks came for this than Harry Potter.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There's nothing so different about season 11 (or any other season, for that matter) that makes it unwatchable for me compared to the previous seasons. The Simpsons is probably the most consistent show on TV, ever.

This is absurd! The difference between the earlier seasons and recent
    ones is absolutely phenomenal. Edith Head spelled it out better than I
    could hope to, but it comes down to the difference between plotted
    episodes with a theme and a message, and a bunch of random jokes about
    celebrities and recent headlines just pointlessly thrown on the screen.
    The Simpsons used to bring me to tears with laughter - I have watched shows
    in the past few years when I was unable to laugh ONCE. And the re-hashing
    of plots is so common it is seriously pathetic. I have hopes for the movie,
    but they aren't very high - and I can probably wait until it's on cable.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    just saw this. I was neither mad nor excited about it. It's got a few moments in there where you feel like "oh no, they're trying to squeeze in all the familiar jokes," but it was still funny. It had a somewhat decent storyline. I haven't been watching the show much in the past few years (new episodes or reruns), but the movie felt somewhat weird to me. it was like it was the Simpson's characters, but they weren't really the same people. it was like they had to hire B level actors to play the roles because the original cast was no longer interested. Does that make any sense? I felt like they were making a parody of themselves. Maybe it's just the different writers.
    it's still got some great moments and good jokes. Not mad at it at all.

Be warned...there are going to be some 8-12 year olds in there who are going to say "ohhhhhhh" when they hear the word "ass" or constantly interject things like "I like this part" or "cool, Milhouse!"

This could definitely be a "wait for dvd" type of movie, but I still had a good time. It's kind of fun to see it with a full house because laughter is contagious yo!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Hands down, the funniest movie I've seen in years and one of the few that I'm trying to see again while still in the theater. Might go again tonight.

My advice, do not wait for this to come out on DVD. It's a great big screen experience.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hands down, the funniest movie I've seen in years

Do you not watch a lot of movies?

Saying, I liked the film too but...