Book Recommendations??

badder_than_evilbadder_than_evil 951 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I need to go buy a book to read and i`m wondering if anyone has recommendations for me??

Comments

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    These are some of the last books I read that I really got in too.

Ham On Rye: Charles Bukowski

Fortress Of Solitude: John Letham

Iceberg Slim's books for a light read.

Plenty more though.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I was lucky to get this out of print holy grail. Highly recommended. Good luck finding one.

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    Some of my favourites from the last little while...

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman by Richard Feynman
    Collection of stories from a physicist that worked on the atomic bomb. Lots of great stories involving safecracking, experiments, the creation of the atomic bomb, and his life in general.

The Rebel Sell by Joseph Heath and Andrew Potter
    Philosophy/history book on counterculture covering the hippies, alt rock movement, and a lot of other stuff. The book has definitely shaped my view on life as it covers a lot of issues and is very well written and presented.

Little Evil: One Ultimate Fighter's Rise to the Top by Jens Pulver
    Autobiography of a successful lightweight mixed martial arts fighter. It's not an amazing piece of literature - you can definitely tell he is not a professional writer - but his struggles and triumphs are amazing.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel
    Fictional story of an Indian boy trapped on a raft with a tiger. Very enjoyable, I don't normally read fiction but this one had me hooked.

• Perfect.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Autobiography of a successful lightweight mixed martial arts fighter. It's not an amazing piece of literature - you can definitely tell he is not a professional writer - but his struggles and triumphs are amazing.

does he talk about how his dad used to beat his ass?

I feel like a Pulver autobio would be real depressing.

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts

does he talk about how his dad used to beat his ass?

I feel like a Pulver autobio would be real depressing.

That's basically what the entire book is about - the violence from his father and how the fear motivated him to do something with his life. The memories of his father seem to dominate all parts of his life, but then again getting a shotgun shoved down your throat by your old man isn't something you're going to forget. The book is really inspiring though, even if the message is a cliche.

• What kind of books do you like?

• cascas 1,484 Posts

dope book.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    The Soul and its Mechanism
    By Alice A. Bailey 1930

You will feel very enlightened after reading this book, with a better knowledge of the evolution of your body, the world, spirtuality, and the organs we don't use.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

real Wire heads know the deal.

but could appeal to anyone interested in true crime, cities, institutions, etc.

• I'm waiting for this to comeout. I don't know if anyone else hear reads nonfiction books. I recommend every book by them read in order. Should keep you busy for a few months.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Allan Bloom, The Closing of the American Mind

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

dope book.

Bit off more than he could chew.

I MUCH prefer "motherless brooklyn." That was an incredible book, and perfect for summer.

• Allan Bloom, The Closing of the American Mind

was great, but the chapter on pop music is off base. saul bellow's "ravelstein", which is based on bloom's personal life is worth checking.

my pic for a summer page turner is the godfather by mario puzo.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i have a grip of books on my queue right now... but im looking forward to reading the sushi economy by sasha issenberg. a behind the scenes of the sushi economy.

anybody here on www.goodreads.com? kind of like yelp for books.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Zahid Hussain - Frontline Pakistan

excellent book about contemporary Pakistan

• teddyrossoteddyrosso 268 Posts
    Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.
    Read it now, before the Johnny Depp hype hits
    on everyones lips ..

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    on everyones lips ..

I re-read this often, its awesome. Some of the Melbourne heads here may know some stories, i've heard a few from people who move in music circles.

Just finshed this:

Worth a read, pretty amazing life.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

real Wire heads know the deal.

but could appeal to anyone interested in true crime, cities, institutions, etc.

This was a great read.

• teddyrossoteddyrosso 268 Posts
    Stories about Gregory David Roberts? What they've been in jail?

on everyones lips ..
    Some of the Melbourne heads here may know some stories, i've heard a few from people who move in music circles.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Them newish Tintin hardcover joints is nice

This one got banned at Barnes and Noble.

• Dave Eggers - What is the What
    Story of one of the Lost Boys of Sudan - both of his life as a child in Sudan and in a refugee camp in Kenya, and of his life in America

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Just finished this:

and greatly enjoyed it. He's got a touch of Vonnegut in him, I think. If you've seen the film, don't worry--you've only gotten about 1/5 of the story. Great anytime reading. Funny and moderately light without being fluffy and pointless.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    saul bellow's "ravelstein", which is based on bloom's personal life is worth checking.

Seconded...

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    I've liked most of the Johnathan Lethem books I've read. Motherless Brooklyn and Fortress of Solitude were a some of the best books I read in 2000/2003.
    Has anyone read the latest "You Don't Love Me Yet?" I'm curious what other folks thought of that one.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    This one is real nice (and is a easy read) and has been getting great reviews.

• Just finshed this:

Worth a read, pretty amazing life.

You should also read this, then:

"Murder in Amsterdam" by Ian Buruma

Which does a decent job of showing how Ali's political beliefs and those of her peers in Holland are contradictory and counterproductive.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    Dave Eggers - What is the What
    Story of one of the Lost Boys of Sudan - both of his life as a child in Sudan and in a refugee camp in Kenya, and of his life in America

although ive never read this, i really like a lot of the stuff his
    publishing company (mcsweeney's) puts out.

also

tao min - bed. he's a really nice guy.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Dave Eggers - What is the What

although ive never read this, i really like a lot of the stuff his
    publishing company (mcsweeney's) puts out.

also

tao min - bed. he's a really nice guy.
    McSweeny's is ok, their website is garbage. Some of the crap that passes for writing over there is
    that said, "What is the What" was a great read- totally engrossing. I think Eggers doesn't come across as glib when he's not writing about himself. He does have a tendency to wander into details, but avoids it more so in this book than anything else he's written.