Nas is like....

2»

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    2) He seems to feel tremendous pressure to prove that he is something that he clearly is not.

What, exactly? A positive role model? A gangsta? A historian? A poet? A black nationalist? A linguist? Our lord and personal savior? The greatest rapper ever? What, exactly?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    2) He seems to feel tremendous pressure to prove that he is something that he clearly is not.

What, exactly? A positive role model? A gangsta? A historian? A poet? A black nationalist? A linguist? Our lord and personal savior? The greatest rapper ever? What, exactly?

Well, I think I see what you're saying--part of his problem is how conflicted he seems to be about the way in which he wants to be perceived, and he definitely experiences a pull in more than just two directions.

What I had in mind--following Ed's Chris Webber analogy--is that I think they're both very smart, sensitive and introspective dudes who are insecure with the fact that most people don't consider them to be very rugged or street.

I don't really know what Nas wants to be these days--his output has only gotten more schizophrenic--but I do know that that baller/willie persona he had tried on for a few years was a really bad fit.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Well, I think I see what you're saying--part of his problem is how conflicted he seems to be about the way in which he wants to be perceived, and he definitely experiences a pull in more than just two directions.

What I had in mind--following Ed's Chris Webber analogy--is that I think they're both very smart, sensitive and introspective dudes who are insecure with the fact that most people don't consider them to be very rugged or street.

I don't really know what Nas wants to be these days--his output has only gotten more schizophrenic--but I do know that that baller/willie persona he had tried on for a few years was a really bad fit.

Yeah, he seems kinda confused about just who / what he is to me! I just think Nas is like a lot of dudes who get in the biz- started out honest, just doing the sh*t from his heart, but when Illmatic didn't sell big he had people telling him he had to change it up if he wanted to move "product". From there the confusion and conflicting messages and imagery began.

I think most (or at least many) black males who are smart, sensitive and introspective are indeed insecure or afraid that people might not perceive them as rugged or "street" enough. The hood is full of dudes like this, and I think the rap world is actually full of dudes like this, too.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yeah, he seems kinda confused about just who / what he is to me! I just think Nas is like a lot of dudes who get in the biz- started out honest, just doing the sh*t from his heart, but when Illmatic didn't sell big he had people telling him he had to change it up if he wanted to move "product". From there the confusion and conflicting messages and imagery began.

I think most (or at least many) black males who are smart, sensitive and introspective are indeed insecure or afraid that people might not perceive them as rugged or "street" enough. The hood is full of dudes like this, and I think the rap world is actually full of dudes like this, too.

Yeah, no doubt, the industry especially--almost anybody that's committed enough to their art to succeed in rap is gonna be more like that than whatever thugged out image they might try to present to the world.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

I don't really know what Nas wants to be these days--

popular....he knows he's better lyrically than anyone else out there...yet...it almost means nothing because he's not a platinum plus ,Mtv kinda dude....

people want to like him...but how can you when he puts out garbage like streets disciple & god's son