Singers Post Mariah Carey

PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
The hand really fucked it up. Now Akon sounds just like Shakira.

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Amy Whinehouse

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Amy Whinehouse

This is about all that's in her favor really. She needs to learn to strut though.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    The hand really fucked it up

aka

"R&B with no soul"

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    The hand really fucked it up

aka

"R&B with no soul"

aaka

"Look ma, I'm singin'"

But for real, the vibrato killed Hip Hop. And to think Hip Hop let it in the door in the first place. Vibrato, I'm not feelin you, no matter what you do, no matter what you say. Mariah is dope though.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

• Dennis Rodman rocking a sax these days??

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Me & my girl were watching a few minutes of some Timbaland Top 20 show on one of the video channels last night, and "More Than A Woman" came on. After a few minutes wondering what kind of shit she'd be doing now had she lived, I said something about how she was unique amongst modern female r&b/soul singers in that she didn't try to sound like Chaka, Aretha, Gladys or any of them, yet her voice had this ethereal quality that still sounded soulful. People like Ciara and Cassie have tried to cop that style, but often they just end up sounding thin, whereas Aaliyah's voice had a toughness at the heart of it, even if it could seem deceptively light at times. I'm not really given to the kind of hyperbole which claims that we're robbed of a great talent whenever an artist dies young, or in tragic circumstances, but in Aaliyah's case I think there's some truth in this.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Me & my girl were watching a few minutes of some Timbaland Top 20 show on one of the video channels last night, and "More Than A Woman" came on. After a few minutes wondering what kind of shit she'd be doing now had she lived, I said something about how she was unique amongst modern female r&b/soul singers in that she didn't try to sound like Chaka, Aretha, Gladys or any of them, yet her voice had this ethereal quality that still sounded soulful. People like Ciara and Cassie have tried to cop that style, but often they just end up sounding thin, whereas Aaliyah's voice had a toughness at the heart of it, even if it could seem deceptively light at times. I'm not really given to the kind of hyperbole which claims that we're robbed of a great talent whenever an artist dies young, or in tragic circumstances, but in Aaliyah's case I think there's some truth in this.
    TRUTH

modern singers seem to be in a competition to see who can fit the most note changes into a single word. Overwrought for real. Peeps need to realise that if your vocals lack proper revereance for melody and emotive intent then it stops being singing and becomes talking extravagantly.

All of this is the fault of Mariah Carey, imho. Technically, she's amazing, but she has all the warmth and soul of one of those telephone messages that tells you your call is being held in a queue, your business is important to us and thank you for calling. And because she sold a gazillion records with that method, the young'uns now think it's the way to go, hence all the Wal-Mart Mariahs thrown up by shows like American Idol.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    I think Whitney's vocal pyrotechnics blazed the trail for Mariah. So blame her. I guess you can blame gospel sing-offs for Whitney. Whitney can sing but when the crowd go wild for the special moves, and don't appreciate how solid her basics are, then feeling or delivery of the story are lost. Everything gets treated like a vehicle for their own talent, rather than, I dunno, look how well I can interpret this. Know what I mean?

Not familiar with Aaliyah's work enough to comment. The songs just never did anything to warrant me paying her voice attention. Ones with good one-take, no computer required voices:

Beyonce. But too pyro at the mo.
    Xtina. One day she will get the right tunes. Not lived long enough to deliver a story like The Greats.
    Brandy. She really nailed the tunes on the first set. The material has been so-so after that.
    Joy Rose. She sings with Incognito, and takes a backseat to Maysa Leak there, but she has the more distinctive voice for me.
    Lauryn Hill. All the talent, but seemingly mad as a wasp.
    The girl with Beady Belle, Beate Lech, is fire.
    Alice Russell. Anyone else feeling "My Favourite Letters"?
    Bjork.
    Erykah Badu.
    Deny that Anastacia can sing.

Ones who can tell a story a la Ella, Betty Carter, Aretha, Dee Dee Bridgewater? i.e. "Once again, but with feeling."?

I still think Aretha is #1 but honestly think a lot of her work is just catering for the shouty stuff. She depped for Pavarotti once at some opening gala, and when the orchestra asked what key she wanted, she just told them to play it in his key and she'd do the rest, no problem.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

TRUTH

I can get down with Mary J. Blige for a few tracks as well. No one who really made it commercially can hold a candle to Aaliyah.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I believe MELISMA is the word everyone is looking for.

ALSO, PLEASE SEE:

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I think Whitney's vocal pyrotechnics blazed the trail for Mariah.

I was thinking the same thing.

And though I cannot get with any other song in the Mariah catalogue, I must admit I kinda liked "Vision Of Love" when she first came out with that

I think Whitney's vocal pyrotechnics blazed the trail for Mariah.

What, even those dog-whistle high notes, where she seemed to be doing nothing more than flexing her technique? Personally, I always thought Whitney was a great soul/gospel singer let down by far too heavy a reliance on MOR/Vegas supper club material. She never leant on the kind of gimmicky vocal fireworks that Mariah did, imho. I'd co-sign pretty much all those other singers you mentioned, though.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    This would be as good a time as any for you all to go out and buy some Keyshia Cole.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    aaliyah's s/t is a front to back amazing record

This would be as good a time as any for you all to go out and buy some Keyshia Cole.

Oh, most definitely. She's easily the most impressive out of the r&b females to have emerged in the last two or three years.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Oh, most definitely. She's easily the most impressive out of the r&b females to have emerged in the last two or three years.

For REAL? I mean, I know Bay Area heads ride for her, but on the real I find her unlistenable. Maybe it's the vocal processing that's on so many of her records, and maybe it's because she's one of those singers that just doesn't know when to STOP singing and let the music breath (Mary J. is guilty of this too) or maybe it's because I find the songs that have been written for her to be trite, but I cannot fade Ms. Cole at ALL.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i think she does a real solid mary j jr.
    songs are hit or miss, but 'i could have cheated' was amazing
    i didn't like that one joint where her voice was peaking on the chorus, sounded terrible, but i think it was one of her biggest singles!

she brought the house down on some late night live @ the apollo i caught a year or two ago

She is very promising, for sure

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I can get down with Mary J. Blige for a few tracks as well.
    only a few???

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

THE NEW MARY WHAT!

For REAL? I mean, I know Bay Area heads ride for her, but on the real I find her unlistenable. Maybe it's the vocal processing that's on so many of her records, and maybe it's because she's one of those singers that just doesn't know when to STOP singing and let the music breath (Mary J. is guilty of this too) or maybe it's because I find the songs that have been written for her to be trite, but I cannot fade Ms. Cole at ALL.

Those are good points. Personally, I think she's got the makings of a great singer. The whole thing ain't there yet, and I wouldn't necessarily want to judge her voice on the way it's recorded/produced, but she's going in the right direction for me. What I'd really like to hear, though, is a Jazmine Sullivan album. From what I've heard of that girl, she could blow most of her contemporaries clean out of the box.

• For me Jill Scott is the best of the bunch out there.
    Aaliyah never really moved me.
    Still amazing to see Whitney then as opposed to Whitney now..

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Keyshia Cole feat. Missy and Lil' Kim - "Let It Go":

http://www.zshare.net/audio/2829500a8b2cbd/

Every time I get in the car now, I hear this three times. DON'T HATT.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I fucks with Keyshia Coles (real headz know to attach an "s" on the end of her last name even though no such letter exists there)

I actually think, comparatively, the processing is pretty light. You can hear her voice crack all over the place on that "love" joint and I appreciate that in light of all the manufactured, antares-dependent singers out there. She killed it on "Last Night"

Jill Scott is great but her records are snoozers. Sorry but it's the truth.

Aaliyah is a real lost talent. Her S/T is, agreed, an amazing record front to back. While in retrospect I find One In A Million a bit uneven (some of the production hasn't aged well) there are some true moments of brilliance on there. Such as the title track.

Beyonce is turning into a lunatic with her mom and "House Of Derion" and shit (what was going on in her vid for "Deja Vu"? So many strange and bad looks) but "Crazy In Love" is a fucking amazing record that will (cross-polination alert) stand the test of time. Also the word on the (Christopher) street is that she is almost cult-like in her religious leanings and madly homophobic (won't even hire the gays for stylist or choreography positions) CRAZYWOMAN

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I fucks with Keyshia Coles (real headz know to attach an "s" on the end of her last name even though no such letter exists there)

I actually think, comparatively, the processing is pretty light. You can hear her voice crack all over the place on that "love" joint and I appreciate that in light of all the manufactured, antares-dependent singers out there. She killed it on "Last Night"

Yeah "Last Night" was sort of the centerpiece of that album, its power has kind of been diluted for me as a single but still, what a great performance. "Love" is the one song I don't really like - the vocal-cracking sounding agonizing to me rather than raw, like Mary J no one expects flawless vocal technique but that was just pushing too far I thought.

Aaliyah is a real lost talent. Her S/T is, agreed, an amazing record front to back. While in retrospect I find One In A Million a bit uneven (some of the production hasn't aged well) there are some true moments of brilliance on there. Such as the title track.
    this is on point for sure. "One in A Million" I do love tho, for all its flaws - talk about a perfect midpoint record for 90s R&B. (They even underline this fact w/ that old school/new school track that starts w/ the guitar solo-esque R&B drama and ends with a timbo beat). Plus there's that joint with Treach that samples summer madness, and yeah "One In A Million" might be the most perfect record ever made - i wish the outro could be extended for another minute

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I am so sick of vocal acrobatics to be honest. Aguilera is so fucking unlistenable.

- spidey

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Plus there's that joint with Treach

These words should really never be offered as a point in favor of a record.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I believe MELISMA is the word everyone is looking for.

this word sounds like it's a nasty gynocological condition. it makes me sick just looking at it printed.

as for female R&B singers I'll say Beyonce sucks and so does the Uhm-buh-rellah-eh-eh-eh-eh chick.

PS: "AHMborellah" the way ol' girl sings it also sounds like a tropical venerial disease.

(and no there's not wierd misogynistic undertones in this post.)