how do I get rid of a wasp nest?

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I've got a wasp nest right by my front entrance. What's the best way of dealing with this? Or should I just leave it to the professionals. It appears to be inside my house as they are entering through a crevice.Damn nature, this always happens. I had a racoon that dug a hole in my roof once and was just chilling there like it was his cottage.

Comments

• Spray and run

or

Pros

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    entering through a crevice.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    There is a foaming wasp killer that works well. I used it last summer when I had a nest inside of the side-view mirror of my car. Might be sorta difficult though if the nest is not at all visible...

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    i just had a nest forming inside my house i went and bought some spray shit at home depot its in a black and white can and it kills them instantly, its says some shit on the can about electic shock, don't fuck with raid and shit, look for the black and white can, and it kills any of the fuckers that come back to the nest for like another couple weeks

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I dunno about how to get rid of wasps, but you can get rid of WASPs by telling them some swarthy immigrants are moving into the neighborhood.

• Options
    I've got a wasp nest right by my front entrance. What's the best way of dealing with this? Or should I just leave it to the professionals. It appears to be inside my house as they are entering through a crevice.

Damn nature, this always happens. I had a racoon that dug a hole in my roof once and was just chilling there like it was his cottage.

Are they yellow jackets, or black colored wasps? The black colored ones are more aggressive and usually have a ball-shaped nest hanging from a tree that looks like a brown fruit. The yellow jackets are usually the ones in the crevices, so I'm going to assume they're the yellow jackets.

You can wipe them out yourself with a spray. How active is the nest? Are there constantly wasps coming and going, or is it more sporadic? If it's very busy and they are very aggressive when you come in the house it's worth it to just call a pro. But if it's sporadic, just buy a can or two and douse the crevice like a madman well after the sun goes down.

We have to get rid of these nests all the time at my job, wasps make nests in the phone boxes up on the poles. I got wasp knowledge for daaaays. They once caused me to fall 18 feet and land on a car!

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    entering through a crevice.

right by my front entrance.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Read out loud Harry Potter next to them.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    The most challenging nests to control are those that are concealed in voids behind walls or in attics. Often, the only evidence of the nest is wasps flying back and forth through a crack or hole in the home.

Aerosol insecticides usually do not work very well against hidden nests. The best method is to apply a small amount of insecticidal dust (dusts are less commonly available in stores than aerosols; be sure any dust you plan to use is labelled for use in homes). You may need to drill small (about 1/8 inch) holes to deliver the insecticide into the nest area. If the product you are using does not have a built-in applicator, you can use a plastic container with a tube tip or spout, such as an empty liquid detergent bottle, to "puff" the product into the void.
    When treating wasp nests hidden in building voids, use one of the following insecticide dusts: *

* bendiocarb
    * chlorpyrifos
    * boric acid (will be slow acting)

If you would rather hire someone experienced to exterminate a wasp nest, talk to a reliable pest control service.

Concealed nests that are treated in the fall may force wasps into the home. If there is no immediate danger, it may be best to wait until freezing temperatures kill the nest. Do not seal the nest entrance until you are sure all wasps are dead. Closing the nest too early can force survivors into your home. When the wasps are dead, seal the entrance with caulk or something similar to prevent a new wasp queen from using the same entrance to build a new nest next year.

looks like I better leave it to the professionals to deal with. Last week I was taking a shower and a wasp showed up out of nowhere (more PASUE material for you guys). Now I know how it got there.

sween - there is a steady stream of them, I think it's yellow jackets. They haven't been that aggressive, although I rarely use the main entrance as I enter through the garage.

I certainly don't want to spray and then forcing them inside the house.

• Options
    i just had a nest forming inside my house i went and bought some spray shit at home depot its in a black and white can and it kills them instantly, its says some shit on the can about electic shock, don't fuck with raid and shit, look for the black and white can, and it kills any of the fuckers that come back to the nest for like another couple weeks

The last part of your post is bullshit (though not your fault). Wasps that return to the nest can smell the shit you sprayed and will not enter it, then they get pissed off and go after whoever is standing nearby thinking you sprayed the stuff.

You're right about the electric shock part though. We've never been able to figure out if it means that it delivers a simulated electric shock to the wasp, or that the spray is protected from conducting electricity. All we know is it kills them, fucks with their nervous system somehow you can tell by the way their body acts when they die.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I was in LA this weekend and y'all got some BUGS.

I was enjoying the sun and a book in my homies driveway in Echo Park and saw one of the June Bugs flying around and had to run inside. those shits are like small birds. scared the shit out of the dog.

and later that night saw some GINORMOUS roaches on the street in K-Town. they are so big I swear these dudes cast a shadow under them as they ran in front of me. easily 3+ inches long (no pasue).

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    easily 3+ inches long

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    easily 3+ inches long

I really wish this were an exageration. I was scared out of my mind. yes soft doggie.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    cityfolk are so cute

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    They once caused me to fall 18 feet and land on a car!

I once had a wasp get stuck in my shirt while I washing the car. Got stung 5 times.

NAUGLES

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I ride a roach to work everyday.

• Options
    The most challenging nests to control are those that are concealed in voids behind walls or in attics. Often, the only evidence of the nest is wasps flying back and forth through a crack or hole in the home.

Aerosol insecticides usually do not work very well against hidden nests. The best method is to apply a small amount of insecticidal dust (dusts are less commonly available in stores than aerosols; be sure any dust you plan to use is labelled for use in homes). You may need to drill small (about 1/8 inch) holes to deliver the insecticide into the nest area. If the product you are using does not have a built-in applicator, you can use a plastic container with a tube tip or spout, such as an empty liquid detergent bottle, to "puff" the product into the void.
    When treating wasp nests hidden in building voids, use one of the following insecticide dusts: *

* bendiocarb
    * chlorpyrifos
    * boric acid (will be slow acting)

If you would rather hire someone experienced to exterminate a wasp nest, talk to a reliable pest control service.

Concealed nests that are treated in the fall may force wasps into the home. If there is no immediate danger, it may be best to wait until freezing temperatures kill the nest. Do not seal the nest entrance until you are sure all wasps are dead. Closing the nest too early can force survivors into your home. When the wasps are dead, seal the entrance with caulk or something similar to prevent a new wasp queen from using the same entrance to build a new nest next year.

looks like I better leave it to the professionals to deal with.

sween - there is a steady stream of them, I think it's yellow jackets. They haven't been that aggressive, although I rarely use the main entrance as I enter through the garage.

Fuck it, call Carl.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    They once caused me to fall 18 feet and land on a car!

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

The last part of your post is bullshit (though not your fault). Wasps that return to the nest can smell the shit you sprayed and will not enter it, then they get pissed off and go after whoever is standing nearby thinking you sprayed the stuff.

i don't know, i had yellow jackets and after i had sprayed the nest and killed the ones that were there some others came and died right as they landed on the nest and i had more dead ones on the nest as the week went on, it may not have the same effect on wasps though

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Professionals?

Geeze... In Australia if you said that shit and you weren't a frail aged 86 year old war widow, you'd get laughed out of the... wherever you were at the time.

Man up and spray those fuckers. I maybe add a little flamage to the aerosol for a nice cooking effect!

• Professionals?

Geeze... In Australia if you said that shit and you weren't a frail aged 86 year old war widow, you'd get laughed out of the... wherever you were at the time.

Man up and spray those fuckers. I maybe add a little flamage to the aerosol for a nice cooking effect!

knife? you call that a knife?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I deal with wasps all the time.
    Get Raid Wasp & Hornet Killer, hit 'em once or twice (that stuff is scary powerful) wait a day or so.
    Fill the crevice (ahem) with expanding foam insulation ($5 from Home Dippo).
    Allow a day, rip/trim/sand off excess hardened foam next day.
    Watch out for possible survivors trying to find an escape through your house the whole time (keep flyswatter handy just in case).
    Easy. Don't be scurred.

Professionals?

knife? you call that a knife?

I see you've played knifey-spooney before.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    I have to spray 3 or 4 wasp nests every summer. Supposedly you should wait until evening as they are more docile and just chilling at home and you can spray more at once.

Personally I like to hit 'em right in the middle of the day when they least expect it and watch how pissed they get. A good technique is spray them fast and then start running and hold the spray can over your head and spray behind you as you run in case one follows you. Or get two cans and a toothpick and go in sliding or diving as you spray.

But seriously, it seems to me this 'extreme weather' is really fucking things up pest wise. There has been so much rain in central tx that shit is out of control.. roaches.. crickets.. fleas.. mosquitoes.. The giant roaches (3 inches seems about standard) and mosquitoes are expected, but every time I come in the house I check my ankles and grab 2 or 3 fleas off that jumped on me from walking from the car. Every where I go.. bank.. grocery store.. record stores.. there are crickets running wild inside (and some smushed ones people stepped on).

And I too had a raccoon in my attic once... and the bitch is still there... for four weeks now. She tried to chew a hole in my ceiling. I had to spray her down with some Raid too because I didn't know anything else to do to repel her from chewing a hole big enough to jump down in to the living room. I've tried with no success to force her out or trap her but they are smart animals. It has a way to defeat the cage by pushing on it till is springs then walking over it. I caught three possums which only helps the raccoon by springing the trap for it. I know how it will end and that is with me falling through the ceiling in a drunken attempt to physically confront the stupid thing mano y animalo.

So yeah, wasps, spray them.

If anyone has had success evicting a racoon with cub, please let me know. I've tried strobe lights, loud music (jazz, catholic talk radio, rock, NPR), coyote urine, bleach water, mothballs, and the have-a-heart trap.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I am with Kinetic....use fire (if it's a possibility).

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    How big is it (pasue) - the nest I mean? There was one in the roof of my sister-in-law's shed last summer that I reckoned would fit into an empty ice-cream tub. It was a ball of about 6" wide.

Put tub up against inside of roof, sealing nest in. Slide tub to dislodge nest. !SWIFTLY! - apply lid. I think a few made it out but by then it was all over.

Put tub in bin. (optional agitation of contents b/w whistling to ponder fate of wasps/binnies).

• squiidsquiid 35 Posts

No lie. They drop.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Killing wasps has always been a problem......most aerosol cans don't spray far enough and you wind up being too close to the nest and they follow the spray of the can back at you.

Using a water based product around electrical boxes, etc.(This is where wasps like to nest) can also be dangerous because of shock potential.

About 5 years ago I came up with an idea and with the help of the design engineers at my company we were able to patent it and get the EPA to approve it's use. We are now in the process of Marketing it.

It allows you to hit a Wasp nest from 50 feet. It reduces the amount of chemical used by 1200% and it actually makes killing wasps fun and is a lot less dangerous than current methods.

Basically we've taken a Paintball Gun and converted it so it will only shoot capsules of 100% natural pesticides. It has a laser scope and is pretty accurate.

If you see the Wasp Blaster in your local Wal-Mart or Home Depot in the future you can say you saw it on SS first!

Killing wasps has always been a problem......most aerosol cans don't spray far enough and you wind up being too close to the nest and they follow the spray of the can back at you.

Using a water based product around electrical boxes, etc.(This is where wasps like to nest) can also be dangerous because of shock potential.

About 5 years ago I came up with an idea and with the help of the design engineers at my company we were able to patent it and get the EPA to approve it's use. We are now in the process of Marketing it.

It allows you to hit a Wasp nest from 50 feet. It reduces the amount of chemical used by 1200% and it actually makes killing wasps fun and is a lot less dangerous than current methods.

Basically we've taken a Paintball Gun and converted it so it will only shoot capsules of 100% natural pesticides. It has a laser scope and is pretty accurate.

If you see the Wasp Blaster in your local Wal-Mart or Home Depot in the future you can say you saw it on SS first!

(Pun intended)

If I had one of those when I was a kid, I would've gone around my neighborhood offering to buck down wasp nests instead of offering to mow lawns.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

(Pun intended)

If I had one of those when I was a kid, I would've gone around my neighborhood offering to buck down wasp nests instead of offering to mow lawns.

For real, this is trully a great invention.