WORST BLUE NOTE EVAR?

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I seem to remember "Sassy Soul Strut" being a snoozer.

Cotdamn, yes. In the beginning, I recall getting stuck for $20 by this record and only managed to get it off my hands by basically giving it away.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Is this thread about Blue Note or United Artists?

Anyways I think all this hate for backpacker blue note is funny. Why are you dudes so embarrassed by your 1998 record collection?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I AM SAYING THOUGH. DUDES NEED TO MELLOW OUT TO THE SOOTHING SOUNDS OF LARRY AND FONCE. GET DOWN WITH SOME ACID POT AND PILLS WHILE UR AT IT. MUTHER-EFFIN "THINK TWICE" PRETTY MUCH SLAYS MOST OF EVERYTHING PEOPLE BANDY ABOUT.

IF I CATCH YOU BANDYING ABOUT, YOU'RE PRETTY MUCH PERSONA NON GRATA AT THIS POINT.

>

In other news: The Earth is round.

Well yeah. It's a movement by itself, but they're a force when they're together.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Whole lot of bullshit I'm seeing on this thread. What Frank said about dudes being ashamed of their 1998 record collection is funny as hell, and on point too. Also:

Places and Spaces is the ultimate ass burn fest.

I have never used this until now, but:

You sound white

like a MOTHERFUCKER.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

It took me a minute to figure out this JPEG. I was like "Lou Donaldson has some albums that are...finger 8?"

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

And I'm sorry, alot of the so-called "funky" stuff IS good,
    Grant Green, Larry Young, Bobby Hutcherson, Reuben Wilson, Lonnie
    Smith, Jack McDuff - all have solid soulful/funky jazz releases that
    are far from crap. Even Sweet Lou has a couple of good late-60's
    ones, and his earlier work for the label is outstanding.

Massive Co-sign. Hcrink, you don't even like Grant Green?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    If this was like 4 years ago I would of been ,like, "STEP OFF THAT LP IS HEAT!" but now I realised i've never listened to anything beyond mystic brew on that LP.

It's actually not that bad. This one is, though:

I actually enjoy that record.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Places and Spaces is the ultimate ass burn fest.

Absolute nonsense.

You need to step up to the lifestyle.

I AM IN-TO CHAMPAGNE.

Places and Spaces is an excellent record, and the hatters are simply approaching it with the wrong mindset--if you insist on rating it as "jazz" it will rate poorly, but it remains great music.

Street Lady is junk though, IMO.

if you insist on rating it as "jazz" it will rate poorly

that applies to all of that raregroove stuff. it's instrumental R&B.

if you insist on rating it as "jazz" it will rate poorly

that applies to all of that raregroove stuff. it's instrumental R&B.

Couldn't agree more--I've made the same point something like a dozen times on here.

However, unlike Places & Spaces, most of it also rates rather poorly when considered as R&B/soul/funk.

I've made the same point something like a dozen times on here.

a dozen? more like hundreds...

Easily among stuff like "How to clean records" or "White girls bother me in the DJ both" rests "I used be into raregroove, but now I'm grown up and my tastes are more complex and sophisticated" as the most common thing on this board.

I've made the same point something like a dozen times on here.

a dozen? more like hundreds...

Easily among stuff like "How to clean records" or "White girls bother me in the DJ both" rests "I used be into raregroove, but now I'm grown up and my tastes are more complex and sophisticated" as the most common thing on this board.

Frances, I know you are consumed by your newfound affection for all things fuzack-related, but please do actually read my posts before responding. I am not knocking it on the basis of it being soul/funk, only suggesting that people evaluate it using the appropriate criteria. I am up in here riding for the Mizell Brothers.

b/w

Jazz?

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

However, unlike Places & Spaces, most of it also rates rather poorly when considered as R&B/soul/funk.

if you refer to the Mizell production, I agree with you..........I don't agree instead for the kind of organ-combo that was so popular until 71-72.... the jams of those organists were mostly good.......

actually only one organist from the prestige/bluenote bunch sounds to me boring and unispired with them lame turtle riffing .......

except for these 2 great joints .....

... and he was probably the most recorded organist by blue note.......

b/w

Jazz?

Sigh.

Is that supposed to "shut it down"? It's kinda sad--after all these years-- that you cling to that Roots comment. Ayways, I'm glad that YOU think it's funny.

Yeah, some people convinced me to give all that turtleneck "jazz" a fair shake. And I did. It's not horrible.

Just keep in mind that all this hate reads like a lot of shame for you raregroovers who cut your "jazz" teeth on Kudu. Call me if you want to touch my Hank Mobleys.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

I could picture Sabadabada driving to the Hamptons

I don't like the Hamptons, too many jews.

lot of shame for you raregroovers who cut your "jazz" teeth on Kudu.

...a weak Kudu is always better than any Mizell production with blue note ....

uncle funky > dominoes

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

if you refer to the Mizell production, I agree with you..........I don't agree instead for the kind of organ-combo that was so popular until 71-72.... the jams of those organists were mostly good.......

actually only one organist from the prestige/bluenote bunch sounds to me boring and unispired with them lame turtle riffing .......

except for these 2 great joints .....

... and he was probably the most recorded organist by blue note[/b].......

John Patton the most[/b] recorded Blue Note organist? Ah, I don't think so:

HELLO!!![/b]

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    As far as Strider's comment about John Patton being weak...I strongly disagree. There was a conciseness to his stuff, but then that's probably the R&B fan in me talking. Besides, he left Blue Note at the right time (1969), just when things started to suck over there and his contempos like Grant Green and Lou Donaldson were reduced to doing remakes of Chicago and Bread tunes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard Patton do lame AM Gold covers.

Plus, Patton occasionally teamed up with the right musicians to give his sound a new angle:

Patton's playing "in," Harold Alexander on sax is playing FAR "out," and it's cool hearing their two disparate styles play off each other.

That vibraphone and the "au-go-go" beats sound like a discotheque scene on Batman or some other mid-sixties TV show (that's a compliment).

John Patton the most[/b] recorded Blue Note organist? Ah, I don't think so:

HELLO!!![/b]

..oh I always forget HIM.......my bad

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Yes you bastards, I want the years of 1996-1998 back. I want back all the half hours I spent listening to bullshit like Mr. Shingalaing on Qualudes. If you have them I will trade for private bay area modern soul. There are plenty of good Blue Notes but I find that the kudos for this label go unchecked. Larry Young is rad. Out To Lunch will shred forever. The 2 Anthony Williams records own you. I do not however need to listen to Grant Green cover the Beatles, or anyone playing Ode To Billy Joe, etc. That shit sucks. I cannot for the life of me understand why you people like Places and Spaces. Electric Byrd, yes. Ethiopian Knights, yes. The UA era stuff is mostly totally horrific.

I've never heard Patton do lame AM Gold covers.

But covering Spinning Wheel or Sunshine Superman represents some kind of artistic integrity or originality?

I cannot for the life of me understand why you people like Places and Spaces.

You should try THAT with ludes.

I AM INTO CHAMPAGNE.

I AM INTO CHAMPAGNE.

SKY HIGH

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

I AM INTO CHAMPAGNE.

OK fuck it. Maybe I need to get with this. I'm open for new things at this point.

Today's shopping list:

Champagne (under $10 bottle)
    Places and Spaces
    Face Value
    Rafferty
    'ludes

Dude your life will not be the same afterwards. HAMMERED MINUS.

Today's shopping list:

Champagne (under $10 bottle)
    Places and Spaces
    Face Value
    Rafferty
    'ludes

OH.MY.GOD.

that's my same shopping list. except, i'm also stopping off at Chipotle.