Essential Black Sabbath LPs

13»

Comments

• Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (the song) was my "get really really fucking pumped up to kick some ass" pre-wrestling match headphone ritual back in high school.

Much thanks to my older brother for hipping me to Sabbath years before any of my classmates, oh, and for giving me his front row center ticket to see Ozzy (with Motorhead) at the Brendan Byrne Arena in 1991 when my dad forbade him from going because he would have had to miss his first day of classes at college.

I was also lucky enough to see the orginal Sabbath linup at an Ozzfest a few years later.

• The first heavy metal band, by design, 100% metal, was Judas Priest..but thats a different thread and nobody will be able to sway my opinion, well, because I am right about that...ok.

Priest "Here Come The Tears"

Sin After Sin?? Just from this album alone, there are "Dissident Aggressor", "Call For The Priest / Raw Deal", "Diamonds & Rust", "Starbreaker", and on and on and on.

But, im sure you knew this because you have to. Make sure you leave the note somewhere your mom will find it, and keep this on repeat.

• My introduction to Black Sabbath:

All the wrestling fans in here (and I know you're here) will remember The Road Warriors using "Iron Man" as their ring entrance music. I kept hearing that song before every match and was hooked. A friend IDed it for me and I went out to buy the "We Sold Our Soul For Rock & Roll" cassette. This was probably 1988 or 89.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    All those early LP's are dope but I think the first one wins for me. The track Black Sabbath plus Wizard and the drums into NIB ...solid rock record ..but all the stuff with Ozzy I can play front to back....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I attended a Hindu wedding last Saturday, and Judas Priest was staying at the same hotel.

• My introduction to Black Sabbath:

All the wrestling fans in here (and I know you're here) will remember The Road Warriors using "Iron Man" as their ring entrance music. I kept hearing that song before every match and was hooked. A friend IDed it for me and I went out to buy the "We Sold Our Soul For Rock & Roll" cassette. This was probably 1988 or 89.

thats hilarious,because this was my introdruction as well. Before long I discovered my friends dad had the record. AWA & NWA(no rap group) 4 LIFE!!

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    dope cover. dope album.

thanks black sabbath.

• can anyone tell me if there is such a sabbath tune as "Electric Sleep"[/b]... if so, which album is it from?

I downloaded'ed a mp3 with this title (and a parenthesis about it being a rare ozzy song from 1971), but I can't find any info on it.

The only info I can find about "electric sleep" is the name of an album by sHeavy, a Sabbath wanna-be band from Canada.

this is the tune!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    can anyone tell me if there is such a sabbath tune as "Electric Sleep"[/b]... if so, which album is it from?

I downloaded'ed a mp3 with this title (and a parenthesis about it being a rare ozzy song from 1971), but I can't find any info on it.

The only info I can find about "electric sleep" is the name of an album by sHeavy, a Sabbath wanna-be band from Canada.

this is the tune!

cool tune, but that isnt Sabbath, but a remarkable likeness...most likely the sHeavy.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Ozzy for the most part is a shitty singer, you cant deny that, he is a one trick pony..true he was an essential element to early Sabbath but for the most part, if you ignore his antics, he his pretty disposable. Geezer wrote the best lyrics and the genius of Sabbath was Tony and Geezer.

You are smoking crack dude. Even to this day Ozzy has one of the most unique and instantly recognizable voices in music, and dude, those early albums would not have worked half as well withouth him. Stop talking shit. Of course Tony is the genius... It really doesn't take a genius to sing, no matter how great your voice is and what you do with it. But you do have to be touched by the hand of God and Ozzy most definitely was.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Ozzy for the most part is a shitty singer, you cant deny that, he is a one trick pony..true he was an essential element to early Sabbath but for the most part, if you ignore his antics, he his pretty disposable. Geezer wrote the best lyrics and the genius of Sabbath was Tony and Geezer.

You are smoking crack dude. Even to this day Ozzy has one of the most unique and instantly recognizable voices in music, and dude, those early albums would not have worked half as well withouth him. Stop talking shit. Of course Tony is the genius... It really doesn't take a genius to sing, no matter how great your voice is and what you do with it. But you do have to be touched by the hand of God and Ozzy most definitely was.

agreed.
    when you have the guitarist tuning his strings lower, you need a voice like ozzy's to go with it.
    peanut butter and jelly, folks.

sorry I dont agree. yes it is recognizable, but not a great voice. Also,dont tell me to stop talking shit, I will talk shit if and when I want to, but at this moment I am not talking shit. thanks for playing.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    my favs are
    1.self titled
    2.vol 4
    3.paranoid
    I haven't gotten deep into any of the others. I remember listening to Sabbath with my parents friends teenagers when I was 7 or 8 and it was pretty scary.

Anyone check Om. I was listening to them in a car with a blown speaker the other day but it remined me of sabbath but slower and heavier.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I picked up the GREATEST HITS cassette at Woolworths for $3.99 on a family vacation in 1989... and I've never been the same since

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts

sorry I dont agree. yes it is recognizable, but not a great voice. Also,dont tell me to stop talking shit, I will talk shit if and when I want to, but at this moment I am not talking shit. thanks for playing.

Notably you didn't deny smoking crack.

Notably you didn't deny smoking crack.

that comment didnt even warrant a response. I was just watching the "after hours" footage of Ozzy's band from 1980 last night, right when Blizzard of Oz came out and his voice his absolutely fucking horrible, cracking up, yodels, everything...Randy Rhoads was tearing shit up however....
    never heard Ronnie James Dio sing like shit, though.