Can I Just Ask You One Question?

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Guy on Street[/b]: (proffering a handbill) Got a minute?Me[/b]: (continuing to walk toward subway entrance) No, I'm all set.Guy on Street[/b]: Oh, you're all set? Can I just ask you one question?Me[/b]: That was your one question.Guy on Street[/b]: (following me toward subway entrance) Oh, a smartass huh? Don't you think you've benefited from slavery?!Me[/b]: Don't you have better things to do than accost random people on the street?Guy on Street[/b]: My ancestors were lynched!Me[/b]: My ancestors didn't do it!Guy on Street[/b]: YES THEY DID!!!Then I disappeared into the subway. Just thought I'd share.

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    The guy on the street sounds black

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    :5pager:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The guy on the street sounds black

He was. Probably still is.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    OH SHIT!! a 5 pager on RACE!!!

Don't you think you've benefited from slavery?!

Well.....what's your answer?

I don't really know. I know my ancestors probably didn't lynch anyone though, given that they all arrived in the U.S. in the early part of the last century and settled in an entirely Irish and Italian neighborhood.

Sayin'.

I don't really know. I know my ancestors probably didn't lynch anyone though, given that they all arrived in the U.S. in the early part of the last century and settled in an entirely Irish and Italian neighborhood.

Sayin'.

Sayin'.

It's quite possible. From what, though?

We all have benefitted in this country.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    If this does turn into a :5 pager: on race it will be ridiculous thread full of lopsided argumnets made between people who dont have experience in anyone elses shoes but their own. Dude didnt want to be bothered with a flyer, doesnt believe his family benefitted from lynching of slaves, and had better things to do than listen to a sidewalk soliloquy on the history of racism. Who in here actually believes they are in a posistion to tell him he is wrong? You are not, you just have an opinion just like he has.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    1 page

If this does turn into a :5 pager: on race it will be ridiculous thread full of lopsided argumnets made between people who dont have experience in anyone elses shoes but their own. Dude didnt want to be bothered with a flyer, doesnt believe his family benefitted from lynching of slaves, and had better things to do than listen to a sidewalk soliloquy on the history of racism. Who in here actually believes they are in a posistion to tell him he is wrong? You are not, you just have an opinion just like he has.

Who mentioned Right or wrong.

How did u jump into that area?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Dude didnt want to be bothered with a flyer.

So why bother us with this stupid ass thread ?

doesnt "disconnected" mean not being in touch with whats really going on and the truth?

doesnt "disconnected" mean not being in touch with whats really going on and the truth?

Again...how is that a right or wrong call? I dont understand.

I thought it a rather bizarre and occasionally funny little exchange that raises several interesting questions b/w try not to let yourself get bothered so easily--it's bad for your health.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

you sound white

I inferred that your calling him "disconnected" is saying he is disconnected from the truth( the "truth" in this instance is your implication that he did benefit from slavery), therefore his opinion of saying he hasnt benefitted from slavery is wrong. What am I missing in your use of the "dissconnected" graemlin? If you didnt mean that he has indeed benefitted from slavery, then what did you mean by it?

I have nothing more to say on this...

wow...a "you sound white"....shocker!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    1. GBH's ancestors did not actively participate in the slave trade.

2. Regardless, GBH benefits from slavery because he is white.

/thread

I inferred that your calling him "disconnected" is saying he is disconnected from the truth( the "truth" in this instance is your implication that he did benefit from slavery), therefore his opinion of saying he hasnt benefitted from slavery is wrong. What am I missing in your use of the "dissconnected" graemlin? If you didnt mean that he has indeed benefitted from slavery, then what did you mean by it?

wow...a white guy getting asshurt over the mention of race! SHOCKER!

so really, you're trying to say that him and any all blacks should really just shut the fuck up and get over the whole "black" and "slavery" thing, because you know...it's all done and we now live in a free and equal society?

Right?

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

wow...a white guy getting asshurt over the mention of race! SHOCKER!

i should have the good sense not to open my fucking yapper here...

but, i think white dude isn't getting asshurt over mention of race. he is angry at the argumentative tactics in the thread, and questioning them. and, he has a point.

i know we aren't big on nuance around here, especially on matters of race, but might want to consider trying it.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    you sound white

you sound like you're overcompensating for being "a top five white-washed Latino"

let me clarify and give you your nuance:

A white guy getting asshurt in[/b] a thread about race.

STOP THE PRESSES!

1. GBH's ancestors did not actively participate in the slave trade.

2. Regardless, GBH benefits from slavery because he is white.

/thread

so really, you're trying to say that him and any all blacks should really just shut the fuck up and get over the whole "black" and "slavery" thing, because you know...it's all done and we now live in a free and equal society?

Right?

I guess I am not done with this...

No, I am not saying that at all, my argument was merely over semantics and arguing tactics... not the issue of racism, which if you read my first post and you did because you had to use oh so clever and worn-the-fuck-out phrase, you would be abel to tell I wasnt going to argue that because well, I stated I thought it was ridiculous in this instance. My opinion

Also, dont put words in my mouth and assume you know what I think on the subject.

Thanks for playing.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    let me clarify and give you your nuance:

A white guy getting asshurt in[/b] a thread about race.

STOP THE PRESSES!

Wow. a finely crafted argument. Let me bow to the master SoCal Master of Rhetoric.

i'm tired, and don't want any part of this.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Because some people need to pad their post counts. How else you gonna do that on a message board about records if you don't really know that much about music? You gotta start these kinds of threads. The worst thing about these kinds of BS threads is that they end up alienating people & schitt. Folks get sick of hearing foolishness all the time. And before you know it, all you got here are some no record having ass dorks posturing like they're clever.