Can I Just Ask You One Question?

13»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

1)The question I found most interesting persoanlly, is how does responsibility transfer through multiple generations, and what sort of compensation, if any, is appropriate?

2)And also, does dude have the right to yell at random people on the street and assume that their family had a role in lynchings simply because they're white?

3)Perhaps it's time for record day?

I should let Oli and Ed have the last word, but I've got a big mouth and can't stop talking.

When I first read the exchange it reminded me of when I used to do telephone solicitations for phony charities. I learned that the best way to rack up sales was to identify people in the first few seconds of the call as either marks who would pony up or people who were not interested. The guy on the street should have let you walk because his time would be better spent talking to people who were receptive to hearing his message.

I think your questions are worth discussing. I would be interested in hearing Ed's and Oli's responses.

1) Responsibility transfers from one generation to the next this way; The harm was done by our nation as a whole. Our nation has never accepted responsibility or paid reperations. Many Southern states are now apoligising for slavery which is a step in the right direction.

2) Yes. We have a lot of rights in this country.

3) Records are boring. A music day would be cool.

Back to #2. When Roots was first broadcast I was living in Oklahoma and had some Black friends over to watch. When the show was over they were giving me some nasty looks. I said hey, my folks weren't even in this country back then. They were trying to not be killed by the Casakas. I have come to understand that as an American I still have responsibilities and I have benifited from slavery.

Enough.

• I used to do telephone solicitations for phony charities.

um... NEW THREAD REQUEST, PLAESE, THANKS!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I used to do telephone solicitations for phony charities.

um... NEW THREAD REQUEST, PLAESE, THANKS!

Nah, lets hijack this one.

When I was in 9th grade or so I started working once a year in a boiler room doing telephone solicitations. This couple (Bob & Betty lets call them) would come into town ahead of this rinky dink circus. They would set up a room full of telephones and higher a bunch of losers.

My script went like this:
    Hello this is Dan and I am calling for the Montgomery County Fire Fighters Association. The Hoctor Brothers Circus is coming to town. We want to take as many retarded children as we can to see the circus. Your donation of $8.00 will send 5 retarded children to the circus. (OR maybe it was $5 would send 8 kids.) We are counting on you to help out these needy children.

This was back in like 1972. Bob and Betty cut a deal with the Fire Fighters or the Police Association or Ambulance Drivers and threw them some cash in exchange for using their name. They paid us Minimum wage (about 1.80 I think). Bob and Betty drove a cadillac. A few kids may have seen the circus, but not 5 for each $8.

Every night they would pin money up on the board. The pepole who sold the most got the money. I could get that money when I wanted. If some one inturupted me, starting asking about who I was working for or told me I was inturupting dinner, I would just hang up. They were not going to be sending money. But if they listened politely and asked about the children they were hooked. The trick was to call as many people as possible and not waste time with people who were not interested.

I worked a few days for some other outfits but they were too sleazy for me. I liked Bob and Betty and a bunch of my friends would work there every year.

Never give money to solicitors!

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I should know by now that Soulstrut, or any message board for that matter, is not the place to discuss such sensitive and complex issues as the role of racism historically and in modern America, and how it has reverberated throughout every corner of our society. I was wrong to bring it up, and wrong to tell you not to get so bothered by it. I'm sorry if I came off as condescending. I wasn't trying to be, but I know that I occasionally come off that way anyway.

WOW.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Damn dan - I never heard of anything like that scam before.

• Damn dan - I never heard of anything like that scam before.

Interesting.

I like the idea of a thread gone so south that it needs to be hijacked into something better.

I just got a little 4 cup mr. coffee for my desk, and starbucks coffee to brew in it. I just couldn't stand the foldgers here at work any more. couldn't do it. so I've just brewed 4 cups of my own personal coffee and it smells good. Some people don't like starbucks, but i do, and either way its a hell of a lot better than folgers. But folgers isn't the worst. Then worst is the one that comes in the blue can... I can't think of the name, but that shit is awful.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Some people don't like starbucks, but i do, and either way its a hell of a lot better than folgers. But folgers isn't the worst. Then worst is the one that comes in the blue can... I can't think of the name, but that shit is awful.

Maxwell House. I was stuck in a JFK terminal overnight, and all they had was Maxwell House coffee. But they didn't just serve it--there were huge promo signs everywhere, promo cups, little signs that said "We proudly serve Maxwell House," etc. A terrible look.

And a worse cup of coffee.

Except in a cup. And without the stick.

• girl in street wearing greenpeace T-Shirt: Hi how are you?

Me: Fuck Off

• I actually find these types of ppl utterley intolerable, I will speak on this subject later on....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    *never mind*

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    girl in street wearing greenpeace T-Shirt: Hi how are you?

But did your ancestors ruin the environment?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Some people don't like starbucks, but i do, and either way its a hell of a lot better than folgers. But folgers isn't the worst. Then worst is the one that comes in the blue can... I can't think of the name, but that shit is awful.

Maxwell House. I was stuck in a JFK terminal overnight, and all they had was Maxwell House coffee. But they didn't just serve it--there were huge promo signs everywhere, promo cups, little signs that said "We proudly serve Maxwell House," etc. A terrible look.

And a worse cup of coffee.

Except in a cup. And without the stick.

• girl in street wearing greenpeace T-Shirt: Hi how are you?

But did your ancestors ruin the environment?

Unfortunatley I didn't get a chance to ask them

• wouldn't it be ironic if one day scientists discovered that it was actually hairy pits and patchouli that ruined the environment?

And yeah, Maxwell House. YUCK.

In the meantime, I've decided to 'try out' ambient music, for to listening to while at work. I have this fripp/eno thing on right now. Its pretty nice. I guess there is a mini genre (or is that sub-culture?) called 'space music' which is music for traveling in outer space. or something like that. So instead of a private mind garden while at work I could be in a private mind galaxy. The term 'ambient' has always scared me off... to close to 'new age' I guess, but 'space music' sounds cool to me.