REALTALK..WHY DO YOU BUY RECORDS?

shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
WHY? FOR SAMPLING, LOVE OF OLD MUSIC, COLLECTING/HOBBIE?WHY??DO TELL!!!!I BOUGHT A $200 plus LP friday & the reason WHY? I told someone is this?One I love music, two Those expensive lp's are like and investment. You can sell them off whenever you get in a serious finacial situation. Three, If I don't someone else will

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    1) Love music
    2) Beatz
    3) $
    4) Mental Illness

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    cuz vinyl sounds "warm" yo.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    for the chicks

just tryin to line up in that puccini

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    1) Love music
    2) Beatz
    3) $
    4) Mental Illness

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    1) Because having an expedit full of raers is a status symbol.

2) Hoes love it when you whip out the raer.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    I have to compensate somehow!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

"Jennifer, I wanted to save the best for last but..."
    "What, John, what is it? Show me!"
    "Okay, close your eyes."
    "My eyes? You foolish man, you."
    "Okay. (Taking box from behind the cabinet). Now open."
    "Oh my gersh, oh my gersh!"
    "That's right, a one-of-a-kind quadraphonic mix of Tempo For Tots!"

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    1) Because having an expedit full of raers is a status symbol.

A whole crate of raers is $$$, fuck the status symbol stuff!!

• For me diggin vinyl is a lifestyle fused as part of my hiphop backround, thats why im always steady searching for something that i'll most likely never find. Tryin to cop EBay is a pain though, hate goin to bed only to wake up and find out the $30-$40-$50-$100 i put was not enough to secure wins..

Tried to win Rosebuds Say Youll Be Mine on Tower, MINT it went for $286 damn euro bidders. My limit was 200

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I buy music - if it's only available on a record, as is lots of the old stuff, then that's the format I buy.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    The thrill of the hunt.

For me, i get as much pleasure out of the act of tirelessly flipping through countless dusty bins, sitting on the floor of musty stores and 'discovering' a hidden treasure as i do out of taking that treasure home, opening it up, and taking a trip back in time listening to it.

Its that chance that in the next bin, under the next pile of junk, down that next flight of stairs a piece of vinyl awaits that will blow me away.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    The thrill of the hunt.

For me, i get as much pleasure out of the act of tirelessly flipping through countless dusty bins, sitting on the floor of musty stores and 'discovering' a hidden treasure as i do out of taking that treasure home, opening it up, and taking a trip back in time listening to it.

Its that chance that in the next bin, under the next pile of junk, down that next flight of stairs a piece of vinyl awaits that will blow me away.

For real. I've been hitting ebay pretty hard and hardly doing any real world diggin at all. Last week i started a new job and there is a second hand record store within walking distance. So at lunch i spent some time hunting around and pulled out a few pieces that i had been looking for. That was so much better than sitting in front of a computer clicking a mouse.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The thrill of the snipe.[/b]

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    To have something in my house that I can refer to as pieces[/b]

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Just for the pictures.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    and of course, the amazing feeling of learning that you get from buying records. I know cha cha cha records are there waiting for me, at the top of my learning curve, it's just that I'm not ready for them. I hope to be some day.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    I've been addicted to music since I was a pre-teen. Now going on 30 nothing has changed. I got the worst case. I have a passion for ALL Music. Afrobeat, Reggae, Jazz,Deep House, Soul. Its a gift and a curse. Gifted to be living in a city with so many record shops to feed my need for tunes new and old (dance tracks, good records, deadly dragon). Curse cause of the $$$, baby on the way , just purchased a house. Nothing beats putting a needle on a record, grabbing something you havent heard in ages or discovering something completly new.
    Also being into production , sampling records is a must too though not as much anymore.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    1) Love music
    2) Beatz
    3) $
    4) Mental Illness

^^^ Exactly. Hours of digging/running around the swap can be good exercise too, sort of.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Thrill of the hunt/Love having new music to listen to. I get all geeked finding new suff. On Saturday morning I made a quick run to CVS which is a 5 minute drive from the house. I spotted a yard sale sign on the way back. I almost drove by, but decided to get out and peek through what looked like a bunch of crap. I asked about records and the lady brought went in the house to get them. Her daughter told me, "Its all old funk and Jazz stff. You probably don't want them." Nothing too raer, but I got 3 soulfull strings LPs, the handscapes lp on Strata East, an odd but interesting protest music LP on folkways called Serious Bizness, and a few other cool LP's for $20. Finds like that keeps me going through times when I don't find shit.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Mental Illness
    all k-tel like

and also to give my appartment that nice, musty aged cardboard smell.

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Thrill of the hunt/Love having new music to listen to. I get all geeked finding new suff. On Saturday morning I made a quick run to CVS which is a 5 minute drive from the house. I spotted a yard sale sign on the way back. I almost drove by, but decided to get out and peek through what looked like a bunch of crap. I asked about records and the lady brought went in the house to get them. Her daughter told me, "Its all old funk and Jazz stff. You probably don't want them." Nothing too raer, but I got 3 soulfull strings LPs, the handscapes lp on Strata East, an odd but interesting protest music LP on folkways called Serious Bizness, and a few other cool LP's for $20. Finds like that keeps me going through times when I don't find shit.

hi,

DIE

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts

4) Mental Illness
    It's my addiction i just have to get my daily fix you know

• A few reasons:

1. Nothing can touch the sound like a piece of vinyl. Period.

2. My dad used to collect vinyl (Buddy Rich is his favorite drummer) so it must have rubbed off. Actually he still collects vinyl (Japanese-style karaoke vinyl and staight-ahead jazz- he is in his late 50s)

3. Sometimes vinyl is the only way to have it in its original form.

4. My first Hiphop vinyl was in 1982 so why stop now???

Vinyl-----

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    just tryin to line up in that puccini

For real. What's the big deal? Just poke her out, yo!

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

hi,

DIE

I was gonna call you, they still had a bunch of late era EW&F and Commadors records.