Spine Magazine's Guide for Bootleg Hip Hop Raers

LooksLikeSinbadLooksLikeSinbad 187 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
This feature was on Spine's old site but they dropped it when they redesigned. You can still access it though through the archive.org wayback machine or click here It's a useful resource you might want to bookmark. It has photos, runout groove info, etc. to help id og's from bootlegs.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This feature was on Spine's old site but they dropped it when they redesigned. You can still access it though through the archive.org wayback machine or click here It's a useful resource you might want to bookmark. It has photos, runout groove info, etc. to help id og's from bootlegs.

Did they publish this? Do you know which issue, I'd like to pick up a hard copy.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo,

Spine was an online journal only. Its been replaced by diggerswithgratitude.com. The guy who used to run spine posts here under the name DWG. He's dude & has some othet material like this that I bet he could direct you to.

Peace

h

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Ah the good old days of Spine, before it became the hollow shell it is today.
    Myself, Rare Dave and Chris (DWG) were responsible for that stuff (although it was Chris's driving force which actually got it done). There was a lot of knowledge poured into that section, and I thought it was insane that they dropped it on the redesign (Chris had left Spine by this point).

There were other sections that were important too, like the reviews of all the old gems (12s and LPs), including audio snippets.

Still, Chris's plans for www.diggerswithgratitude.com will mirror some of the old SpineMagazine content.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Ah the good old days of Spine, before it became the hollow shell it is today.
    Myself, Rare Dave and Chris (DWG) were responsible for that stuff (although it was Chris's driving force which actually got it done). There was a lot of knowledge poured into that section, and I thought it was insane that they dropped it on the redesign (Chris had left Spine by this point).

There were other sections that were important too, like the reviews of all the old gems (12s and LPs), including audio snippets.

Still, Chris's plans for www.diggerswithgratitude.com will mirror some of the old SpineMagazine content.

Thanks

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I still miss the old spine page. DWG is cool site, though, and will be better as Chris builds it up.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

I still miss the old spine page.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    What's Mysterious Al really like ? That little clip with him eating out a shitty toiletbowl was real ?

• SureshotSureshot 134 Posts
    We definitely have some real cool things planned for the website... While we all provide content (Chris, Dave, and myself), Chris is still the driving force... He does all the graphic stuff, coding, and contributes content as well...

The website, in its current blog form, is intended more as a hold-over until we get things sorted out...

Bear with us for the time being... It will be worth the wait...

• There were other sections that were important too, like the reviews of all the old gems (12s and LPs), including audio snippets.

You can still find some of that stuff through archive.org

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Hi Zak!

i just compared my "Time's Up" for the fuck of it. I never really thought that was raer. same with other joints on there. That OK 12" used to pave the streets of virginia.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    the oc is not raer ($15-20 max)...........the ok is semi raer.

The mid 90's hiphop vinyl boom has bottomed out (replaced by the late 80's fast rap boom). Those prices mentioned on the site are history now.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    The one main thing I'd do now if I was rewriting the old Spine site is remove ALL the price info. Whilst working there, I was sick of getting daily emails asking 'How much is this worth?/How much should I pay for this?' etc. The MD's philosophy was that EVERY email should be replied to, so it became impossible: I was receiving, personally, over 100 mails a day.
    Bear in mind that Spinemagazine was an internal side-project and that while I was writing, designing and coding stuff on there (and replying to the mails), I was working on illustration, design, animation, copywriting and other stuff for clients who were paying my wages. My job position was Creative Director, which meant I was often in the firing line for anything that didn't meet its deadline... I got tried of working 18 hour days, six days a week (and, yeah, I'd usually spend that last day checking mail and writing reviews from home) for someone who thought I wasn't working hard enough. In four and a half years, I had two weeks off. That was it. Even when I tore my knee ligaments skating in 2002, I was back at my desk on crutches, leg levitated with ice, two days later.

That job cost me a relationship, a few friends in the industry (due to their treatment from certain other people who I worked with) and my health. I started collapsing from stress in February 2004 and have been diagnosed with a 'bunch blockage' on my heart - I'm currently undergoing cardiology procedures to see if I'm going to have to have a pacemaker fitted. All of this at 29. Pathetic.

When I walked out last April (I won't go into the exact altercation that made me leave, but it involved a designer sending something to print without me having proofed it: an image dropped out and 'it was my fault'), there was a new site design that I'd finished, but they ditched that and removed most of the content that I actually thought made the site stand out amongst most others.
    Those interviews and articles were put together out of love, not because we had PR people making us do stuff (some of my favourite moments ever were doing the Lord Finesse and Kurious Jorge interviews in NYC and then designing them for everyone to read...).

So... on to the present and future. Life's way too short to be bitter and I still feel the urge to write when I hear something good, so Rare Dave, Sureshot and myself decided to carry on writing together, under the Diggers With Gratitude moniker. The site up now is a temporary blog until I get some time to build something more substantial - and there is a book in the pipeline as well, which should encompass a lot of the old-style Spine bits and pieces. The monthly bandwidth charges alone make me thankful I have a decent job right now..!

Enough of all of that. Thanks to anyone who enjoyed the vintage Spine content - it was fun to do. Shouts to all who helped out or worked on Spine over the years (A-Cyde, Zaid, Jeff Metal, RD, Bombjack, Sonar, Gary Warnett, Claw etc. etc.) and to the currrent guys keeping it going in its present form (Tobe$, Zaid, Claw etc.). Not an easy task.

Oh, and keep your eyes on DWG!

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    I have to thank everyone at Spine. It was because of them that I got into 90's hip-hop which eventually led to everything else. I read the reviews constantly and I read the one about Soulman's CD then got caught onto his site then caught onto Soulstrut on there. Thank you guys you guys have really helped me along my way.

• raredaveraredave 205 Posts
    props to the Spine team, old and new and my good buddies Chr!s and Sureshot - seems we talk about everything BUT records these days!

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    Sup Chris,
    Been a while.
    Hot me on the PM.

I miss spine like anyone.

Six Vicious

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo, RD,

Haven't seen you for a minute on soulseek.

Props due to the DWG crew

Peace

kingmob

• I got into Spine quite early on as well in my hip hop education. I have to give you guys a shout cos it was def dope.... also I've been checking DWG and been enjoying that too. But I've noticed its disappeared recently...?

but thanks again for the knowledge spine boyz

• I got into Spine quite early on as well in my hip hop education. I have to give you guys a shout cos it was def dope.... also I've been checking DWG and been enjoying that too. But I've noticed its disappeared recently...?

but thanks again for the knowledge spine boyz

yup me too many a bored day at college were spent on that site a few yrs ago..

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Son of a bitch...I thought I had the OG to "He Created a Monster."

It's a boot!

• The one main thing I'd do now if I was rewriting the old Spine site is remove ALL the price info. Whilst working there, I was sick of getting daily emails asking 'How much is this worth?/How much should I pay for this?' etc. The MD's philosophy was that EVERY email should be replied to, so it became impossible: I was receiving, personally, over 100 mails a day.
    Bear in mind that Spinemagazine was an internal side-project and that while I was writing, designing and coding stuff on there (and replying to the mails), I was working on illustration, design, animation, copywriting and other stuff for clients who were paying my wages. My job position was Creative Director, which meant I was often in the firing line for anything that didn't meet its deadline... I got tried of working 18 hour days, six days a week (and, yeah, I'd usually spend that last day checking mail and writing reviews from home) for someone who thought I wasn't working hard enough. In four and a half years, I had two weeks off. That was it. Even when I tore my knee ligaments skating in 2002, I was back at my desk on crutches, leg levitated with ice, two days later.

That job cost me a relationship, a few friends in the industry (due to their treatment from certain other people who I worked with) and my health. I started collapsing from stress in February 2004 and have been diagnosed with a 'bunch blockage' on my heart - I'm currently undergoing cardiology procedures to see if I'm going to have to have a pacemaker fitted. All of this at 29. Pathetic.

When I walked out last April (I won't go into the exact altercation that made me leave, but it involved a designer sending something to print without me having proofed it: an image dropped out and 'it was my fault'), there was a new site design that I'd finished, but they ditched that and removed most of the content that I actually thought made the site stand out amongst most others.
    Those interviews and articles were put together out of love, not because we had PR people making us do stuff (some of my favourite moments ever were doing the Lord Finesse and Kurious Jorge interviews in NYC and then designing them for everyone to read...).

So... on to the present and future. Life's way too short to be bitter and I still feel the urge to write when I hear something good, so Rare Dave, Sureshot and myself decided to carry on writing together, under the Diggers With Gratitude moniker. The site up now is a temporary blog until I get some time to build something more substantial - and there is a book in the pipeline as well, which should encompass a lot of the old-style Spine bits and pieces. The monthly bandwidth charges alone make me thankful I have a decent job right now..!

Enough of all of that. Thanks to anyone who enjoyed the vintage Spine content - it was fun to do. Shouts to all who helped out or worked on Spine over the years (A-Cyde, Zaid, Jeff Metal, RD, Bombjack, Sonar, Gary Warnett, Claw etc. etc.) and to the currrent guys keeping it going in its present form (Tobe$, Zaid, Claw etc.). Not an easy task.

one of my fav. sites. I think you (Chris) reviewed an old mixtape of mine. I had no idea everything switched over.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Damn dude, that sounds terrible. I'm glad you finally left! I had no idea what happened though I did notice the major re-design.

Question: does/did Spine actually make money? It always struck me as a really cool project but not necessarily a huge revenue monster.

respect for all that you did though.

My best,

Oliver

The one main thing I'd do now if I was rewriting the old Spine site is remove ALL the price info. Whilst working there, I was sick of getting daily emails asking 'How much is this worth?/How much should I pay for this?' etc. The MD's philosophy was that EVERY email should be replied to, so it became impossible: I was receiving, personally, over 100 mails a day.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

wow...all I can say is THANK YOU for putting so much into that site. It was definitely appreciated and admired by me. Do your own thing though...stress kills, I'm for real glad you're not so burnt out you can't do it anymore. Looking forward to the new site.