5 hour 90's HIP HOP mix by Funkmaster Flex

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    looking forward to d/ling this....just checking: any bomb sound effects involved in this mix?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    What would Flex be without the bomb? Come on now.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    7 o'clock the bomb goes off baby.....

• Thanks for this. I heard the first 2 parts. Then I just had to stop.
    I dont care how wild the funkflex is. Hes annoying the hell out of me with his stanton ez-vinyl-mp3 whatever beatjuggling. Its annoying, annoying, annoying..
    And I wonder why they talk more then they play music...
    But thanks anyway

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

Thanks for this. I heard the first 2 parts. Then I just had to stop.
    I dont care how wild the funkflex is. Hes annoying the hell out of me with his stanton ez-vinyl-mp3 whatever beatjuggling. Its annoying, annoying, annoying..
    But thanks anyway

ahem...

BAN THIS POPTART!!!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I was in the shop nursing a hangover, jamming this mix and the Donger was hanging out... we were talking about the old club days, and it ain't fun no more, DJ requests, and basically being old before our time and combining several constant SS topics... when in walks Evil Dee!

Well, that was dope because Dee had never been to the shop although we have crossed paths elsewhere. We continued to talk about hip-hop, parties, DJing, beats, and so on... for those who don't know Dee is about the coolest dude you could meet... full of knowledge and love for the game. The whole time this Flex mix is on.

Then, in walks my man Moss... and there is a big dude hiding behind him... they creep into the middle of the shop and out jumps DJ PREMIER. So now, it's Evil Dee, Moss, and motherfucking Primo... digging, dropping science on production techniques, studio stories, records, beats... and of course, all the while Flex is just killing it. Last but not least, world class A&R Hip-Hop walks in... completely independent of the other two... I mean you are talking about 1. The dude who made Enta Tha Stage and Dah Shinin, 2. One of the most prolific and influential producers in hip-hop EVER (and the creator of countless classic joints), and 3. the dude who A&R'd The Blueprint and more recently was involved in trying to bring a lot of the Bay Area Hyphy Movement to the national level.

I can't lie, I was totally geeked. We all chilled for several hours, dudes got their dig on, knowledge was dropped, several burning questions/debates were answered, and there was even some industry gossip but as they say snitches get stitches! LOL. I'll post the flick we took when I get down to the store. At Primo's request I burned him a CD with the 5-hour Funkmaster Flex session.

Maybe for some of you jaded producers/DJs/record dudes this is old hat... but for me, these were easily the two most influential people in getting me involved in hip-hop production and records... I feel honored and privileged to have experienced it. Thanks to Moss for bringing Primo by.

BONUS BEAT:

I was wearing that "GET ON MY LEVEL" shirt and literally in the middle of a conversation Primo says in that raspy voice "OH SHIT THAT'S COSMO BAKER ON YOUR T-SHIRT!" lololol

DAMMMNNNN!!! thats hot. Especially the bit about cosmo. lol. get em on soulstrut.

I told yall this funk flex mix is powerful.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    thanks linking this mix! I needed this... I bigged up flex when he did that 80's mix w/ Mr Magic & Fly ty last xmas and now this. I'm feelin this.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    I was in the shop nursing a hangover, jamming this mix and the Donger was hanging out... we were talking about the old club days, and it ain't fun no more, DJ requests, and basically being old before our time and combining several constant SS topics... when in walks Evil Dee!

Well, that was dope because Dee had never been to the shop although we have crossed paths elsewhere. We continued to talk about hip-hop, parties, DJing, beats, and so on... for those who don't know Dee is about the coolest dude you could meet... full of knowledge and love for the game. The whole time this Flex mix is on.

Then, in walks my man Moss... and there is a big dude hiding behind him... they creep into the middle of the shop and out jumps DJ PREMIER. So now, it's Evil Dee, Moss, and motherfucking Primo... digging, dropping science on production techniques, studio stories, records, beats... and of course, all the while Flex is just killing it. Last but not least, world class A&R Hip-Hop walks in... completely independent of the other two... I mean you are talking about 1. The dude who made Enta Tha Stage and Dah Shinin, 2. One of the most prolific and influential producers in hip-hop EVER (and the creator of countless classic joints), and 3. the dude who A&R'd The Blueprint and more recently was involved in trying to bring a lot of the Bay Area Hyphy Movement to the national level.

I can't lie, I was totally geeked. We all chilled for several hours, dudes got their dig on, knowledge was dropped, several burning questions/debates were answered, and there was even some industry gossip but as they say snitches get stitches! LOL. At Primo's request I burned him a CD with the 5-hour Funkmaster Flex session.

Maybe for some of you jaded producers/DJs/record dudes this is old hat... but for me, these were easily the two most influential people in getting me involved in hip-hop production and records... I feel honored and privileged to have experienced it. Thanks to Moss for bringing Primo by.

BONUS BEAT:

I was wearing that "GET ON MY LEVEL" shirt and literally in the middle of a conversation Primo says in that raspy voice "OH SHIT THAT'S COSMO BAKER ON YOUR T-SHIRT!" lololol

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

I can't lie, I was totally geeked. We all chilled for several hours, dudes got their dig on, knowledge was dropped, several burning questions/debates were answered, and there was even some industry gossip but as they say snitches get stitches! LOL. At Primo's request I burned him a CD with the 5-hour Funkmaster Flex session.

BONUS BEAT:

Remember what I was talking to you about before those dudes walked in, the whole "I hate selling out blah blah blah... why do I continue to try and do real music when no one appreciates it anymore blah blah blah" moment? It's like the spirit of music knew exactly what I needed to get me back on track. Evil Dee and Premo walk in and reminded me why I do this shit. Surreal. I went home, made some calls to some people and it looks like a new party will be in the works to make me feel a lot more grounded when it comes to DJ'ing. For every commercial gig I do, at least I'll have my homebass type of party where we can do anything but that. I'll call you when more groundwork is laid out...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    dudes!
    thATS nuts.
    so I'm sure you asked about "Nas is Like"....

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I just had to stop.

CORNY

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    This is whats up... put current radio raps in perspective. Shit is cornball disco now.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    But thanks anyway

Flex is using straight vinyl dawg! and his doubles are on point.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    yup this is a pretty nice. Just the fact that theya re goin nuts int eh studio while droppin joint after joint helps too.

JP - that looks like an amazing day at the store.

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts

But thanks anyway

watch the video on the link.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

WALL PHOTO FOR YEEEEEAAAARS.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    MAD JEALOUS of you JP.

• DAMN JP! I am jealous as hell! What a day!

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts

He is a real dj though and a legend in this era of weak shit. Cant wait for this, thanks for posting
    Fles is a porch monkey at best, he's a step above ED Lover.

He is a real dj though and a legend in this era of weak shit. Cant wait for this, thanks for posting

"Porch monkey"?

Why Porch Monkey Is Not A Racist Comment Videofunny movie

• I was in the shop nursing a hangover, jamming this mix and the Donger was hanging out... we were talking about the old club days, and it ain't fun no more, DJ requests, and basically being old before our time and combining several constant SS topics... when in walks Evil Dee!

BONUS BEAT:

PHOTSOSHOP...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Damn, wtf?

[email]SMH@you[/email] homie.

• Options

Funny you mention them both, one of the best dj sets I ever heard live was when Flex tore it up opening for KRS with Ed Lover handing him records.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

But thanks anyway

nerd.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    Listened to some of this mix again last night...probably one of the most fun things I heard in all of 2007, flashback style. Fool brought the heavy 90s joints, no serat0, tight mixing, talking silly. a veritable treat to hear.

Also, some shameful shit spoken about flex in this thread.

I'M IN THE 90S!!!!![/b]

Listening again to this. CLASSIC.

Flex do this shit again after 2007? I have his July 4 and Labor Day shows...

• Options
    Listening again to this. CLASSIC.

Flex do this shit again after 2007? I have his July 4 and Labor Day shows...

I still touch on this from time to time also, this and The Rub mixes have the 90's pretty much covered for me. Flex goes into the 90's "I'm in the 90's, why not" on his show at least once a week, but I don't listen to his show much anymore unfortunately so I haven't heard it in a minute. Chalk it up to not driving much anymore, oh well.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

But thanks anyway

This was the virgin dude right?

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    please somebody reupload this to preferably rapidshare or megaupload thanks