Anybody ride for John Mayall?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I bought a recent collection that included--what appears to be--every Mayall Album up to about 1980. I never really messed with his stuff. I already had an like the early Deram stuff with Clapton and Peter Green. I also like Bare Wires.What I'm on fence with is all this Polydor stuff. I'm little overwhelmed. It all looks like it should be good including all these jazz musicians etc.Does any body have some favorite titles?(there was a thread about him about 6 months ago, but I can't find it.)

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I dig the Deram stuff too, especially 'Live at Klook's Kleek', with the track 'Crawling Up A Hill' being a particular favorite. That first Bluesbreaker's LP with Clapton is nice too, but for me Mayall's deal ran out of gas pretty early on, and a lot of those later LPs mine the same vein over and over and over.

More power to folks that dig those records, at least there is plenty of material for them to find.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    calling prime cuts.....

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i could never get past the beard phase

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Alls I know is the song "California" on this album is dope:

edit: yes I said DOPE, deal with it.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    The track Change Your Ways on Jazz Blues Fusion is good. Freddy Robinson does a vaguely Booglaoo Joe-ish chromatic solo that is nice.

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    Yes indeed, Jazz Blues Fusion is a good album and Change Your Ways is the best track on it. What I highly recommend is the track 'Pusherman' on The Latest Edition Lp, it's a really funky track with some tight drums and great hammond playing.

• Alls I know is the song "California" on this album is dope:

edit: yes I said DOPE, deal with it.

feelin this one. Empty Rooms and Ten Years Are Gone have some nice tunes too. Those are the only rec's I have by him, but for not being into rock or blues too much, I can appreciate his sound. I think I took a flute loop from one of these that's real nice.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Im sittin on over a dozen seperate titles of Mr. Mayall...if anyone needs some hit me with a PM...even some sealed OGs...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Turning Point is a great record.

All those records with Blue Mitchell are nice.

Unless you are into screaming blues rock guitar I think you will find these second period records superior. Far more original.

These are legit great records under $20 or more likely under $10.

I think Turning Point is great. Did I say that before? If you find you like Turning Point you might want to search out the Marc-Almond records which are uner $5.

• Maybe this was the thread you were looking for:

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post580744

'Turning Point' and 'Jazz Blues Fusion' are indeed worth checking out..
    I like 'Looking Back' too, it's a collection of tracks he did with the different bands he had. Especially 'Jenny' is good.'Sitting in the rain'is ok too.

The problem with Mayall is that he has different singing styles, the albums or tracks where he sings with his high pitched nasal voice are to avoid, the rest is ok..

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    All those records with Blue Mitchell are nice.

He was on one of the Blue Mitchell Mainstream records of the same era playing some not-horrible blues harmonica. I like those records. They kinda remind me of Herbie Mann records, where the leader is the least interesting part of the record but the sidemen are amazing. As I recall the Allen Toussaint produced Mayall record with the parking meter on the cover has some nice moments too.