So Cal Strutters: Our own lil record swap?

13»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    will there be alchol bevreges??? I rollin are kids invited to???

It's at a bar dude. No kids. Alchol, yes.

For the record, I can get the Claytons from 2pm and it's open to all ages, so kids are more than welcome.

Word - let's plan on an August date at Clayton's (assuming this July date goes off well).

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i will try to make it out on saturday but i'm not bringing any records because i'm too greedy to give away any of my precious

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    I would dig it. Speaking of which, are there any SFV Strutters here?

yeap, proudly one of em. tryin to see if this 22nd date's gonna work around my sched. got a few joints i need to unload.

Ok batches,

just to remind you, the L.A. Strutter Swap is going down this weekend:

SATURDAY, July 21
    Mandrake Bar (Culver City/Los Angeles)
    mandrakebar.com
    2pm - 4pm...ish
    One drink minimum (not required but encouraged)
    21+ however (sorry, didn't think about this but it is a bar)[/b]

Here's the deal: the first two hours (maybe less depending on interest) is FOR TRADES ONLY. After everyone's had a chance to work out trade deals, we can open stuff up to cash transactions. Folks are limited to one crate/bag of LPs and a box of 45s.

• So its from 2 to 4 and the first 2 hours of that is for trades only... got it.

So its from 2 to 4 and the first 2 hours of that is for trades only... got it.

2-4pm is the designated time but it's open to go later if necessary. And as noted, if all the possible trades are done in the first hour, we can just switch to cold cash after that.

• Well, I might be down, but Damn I hate driving to LA. seriously.

Well, I might be down, but Damn I hate driving to LA. seriously.

Ha - I don't blame you.

If you want, sit this one out. We'll do a check-in post after and people can chime in on whether this was helpful or not. I mean, it might just end up being four of us trying to trade out Leo Sayer records, hoping for mint Boscoes or something.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    I'll be bringing only sealed promo cut-out dead stock white label hole punch still in cello Sayer for trade.

You best to bring your boscoe.

No but for real, I'll have some heat on hand.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'll be bringing only sealed promo cut-out dead stock white label hole punch still in cello Sayer for trade.

You best to bring your boscoe.

No but for real, I'll have some heat on hand.

Aah, but are they HOT STAMPERS[/b]???

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    well I'm officially not going, I tried t get my friend to move his wedding to another day but he was too much of a dick to think of his friends and what they might want to do with their weekend.

Sometimes I hate people

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    well I'm officially not going, I tried t get my friend to move his wedding to another day but he was too much of a dick to think of his friends and what they might want to do with their weekend.

Sometimes I hate people

man, words from a SERIOUS record nuuurd.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Sometimes I hate people

adam-

could you clear your message box

thanks.

Report card:

We had about...half a dozen people roll through? Not sure how much actual "swapping" went on - though I traded Thes One the Arp-Life "Jumbo Jet" LP for a nice Maurice Smith 45 I didn't know about, plus Thes was nice enough to throw in a bonus 45. Actually, the highlight of yesterday for me was simply listening to Thes break down the geographic and demographic history of L.A. through local records. Absolutely fascinating stuff.

Even though it wasn't the most brisk movement of records ever, I think it might be worth doing again in August at Belson's gig downtown and instead of making it a strict swap, why don't we just make it a swap/sale?

• i will show up to this and bring records if there are no rules and regulations on what you can bring and how you can offer it. in example i do not want to show up to trade, i am really only looking for scarce european ethnic records and they will not be there. also, i do not want to bring just "a bag". if i am going to show up to a swap i want to bring 500 to 1000 records or else it is just a waste of time. just my 2 cents.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Most of these kind of swaps don't work because people show up with like 40 records and shit is not priced to move. Dudes are like I have this VG+ record that I don't want and it sells in mint for $40 on Pearson and Funkyou's lists so I want $36. I generally do not waste my time (Shakey's swaps being an exception).

If you want more people to show, my 2 is that there should be a grip of records for cheap or at least fair prices and promote the hell out of it. If you merely alert soulstrut to it you will have 7 people come down only 2 of which are actually interested in spending any money. That is again just my 2 cents.

I think you guys could organize a really fresh record swap in LA because I hear the situation out there is dire but someone's gotta actually take some responsibility and line up dealers and promote the event.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    It was pretty uneventful, but it was a pleasure to meet Thes and Oliver. Highly intelligent guys.

I think JP and AP's suggestions are great - our main restriction on doing something bigger for this past Sat was simply a question of venue. Anthony's idea would be awesome but we probably can't do it at a bar but rather, would have to find a nice, FREE space in which this could go down.

I don't think Belson's gig will work though, in that case.

Also - what's up with Buena Park? I've heard that they haven't been running the last few?

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Unfortunately, I couldn't make it this round due to in-laws that are currently in town. I'll be sure to come out for the next round.

For future ones, how about a lo-key strutter only swap/trade get together at one of our places. Maybe we can all take turns doing it. Bring beers etc.

I nominate AP as the first host. :P

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it this round due to in-laws that are currently in town. I'll be sure to come out for the next round.

For future ones, how about a lo-key strutter only swap/trade get together at one of our places. Maybe we can all take turns doing it. Bring beers etc.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Also - what's up with Buena Park? I've heard that they haven't been running the last few?

Buena has died since the dude has not found a venue, someone correct me if I'm wrong about this.

SAN DIEGO RECORD SHOW: THIS SATURDAY, JULY 28TH! LA folls, come down and enjoy the lack of smog, traffic, and 'tude.

MEGA Props to Al Garth for putting this on consistently for all the vinyl heads, old and young.

See you all there,

-M

• I nominate AP as the first host. :P

oh shit. i am down but it will have to be a one trade bag affair. i dont think my family will allow a full fledged swap at my house. too many grippers. buena park is finally back on next weekend or so that is the word on the street.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

oh shit. i am down but it will have to be a one trade bag affair. i dont think my family will allow a full fledged swap at my house. too many grippers. buena park is finally back on next weekend or so that is the word on the street.

Hah, AP, didn't mean to toss you to the record wolves. I definitely agree that it would need to be on the lo-key side and not some bring your cratezz type affair.

• no problem dudes. i am crunching with work right now but will be done in a couple of months. lets try to make a hang out happen.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I think JP and AP's suggestions are great - our main restriction on doing something bigger for this past Sat was simply a question of venue. Anthony's idea would be awesome but we probably can't do it at a bar but rather, would have to find a nice, FREE space in which this could go down.

I don't think Belson's gig will work though, in that case.

Firstly, how much space do you need? I spoke to the owner yesterday and he would reserve the whole of one area for us, which would include 8 tables, a pool table which he'd cover up to add more space, and two plug sockets. He has no problem with monetary transactions taking place as well.

It's interesting that everybody seems to be going at this like it should be some sort of fair to make it 'worth their while'. Swaps in the UK that I used to attend were all about the social rather than primarily the hustle.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I guess I was being unclear Greg - some of the ones I've been to out this way were primarily rigged for people selling, but there wasn't enough merchandise to make it worth coming out to buy, and not enough paying customers to make it worth bringing merchandise to sell. Kind of a catch 22.

I've attended "swaps", which were more kind of listening sessions, that were great. If the purpose is more transactional, then yeah I would say people need to show up with lots of good stuff priced to move.