So Cal Strutters: Our own lil record swap?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I wanted to throw out a proposal to folks - I know we have PCC and Buena Park as the big swaps but I thought we could host a smaller swap among ourselves (similar to what just went down in Boston). I've had the idea for a minute and it would seem like a good way for us to clear out some pieces we've been meaning to let go and trade out for other stuff we might want/be curious about.The way I see it potentially going down is that the first two hours could be trade-only and then after that, everything becomes open to cash sales. Or, if you don't want to trade, then you can just show up for the sale portion. If I may propose a location: Shig's Sunday afternoon gig at the Mandrake in Culver City is 1) central, 2) mega-chill and 3) has an outdoor patio in the back we can all post up at, swig some beers and get our raers out.

Comments

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I would definitely be down to drink and cop raer. Keep us posted.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    mos def

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I would dig it. Speaking of which, are there any SFV Strutters here?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    If I may propose a location: Shig's Sunday afternoon gig at the Mandrake in Culver City is 1) central, 2) mega-chill and 3) has an outdoor patio in the back we can all post up at, swig some beers and get our raers out.

I'm totally with the idea and would love to sell and trade amongst the strutters. If we could do it somewhere more towards central LA I think it would be better. There are strutters that don't live too close to the westside that may appreciate having less time in traffic with records in the backseat or trunk.

I don't know much about renting locations so if this is difficult than going with a tried and true spot sounds good to me

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    That sounds great. What I lack in trade-able raers I certainly make up for in drunken record talk.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Do it in San Diego. You L.A. folls could use a weekend getaway, no?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    This sounds good. I'd be down to make the drive. Keep us posted and let us know if you need anything.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    sounds great

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Mandrake is off the 10, La Cieneaga. It's not as far "westside" as Santa Monica and on a Sunday afternoon, would be pretty easy to get to from most points of LA. I'm not against finding a location that is more eastward but I'd veto any Hollywood locale on GP. Personally, I'm not keen on Echo Park or Silverlake either but downtown I could fuck with. I think La Cienega isn't that bad though.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I miss living in So Cal...

:jealous:

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I'm more interested in the "drank" part of this whole idea...

Am i the only one???

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I'd be down, but can't do Sundays.....unless you wanted to hold the event at my Sunday gig at the Royal Claytons in Industrial Street, downtown.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'd be down, but can't do Sundays.....unless you wanted to hold the event at my Sunday gig at the Royal Claytons in Industrial Street, downtown.
    Hey Gr*g,

long time no see. don't think I've seen you since I moved from your neck of the (west)woods

is your event a daytime thing?

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Hey Gr*g,

long time no see. don't think I've seen you since I moved from your neck of the (west)woods

is your event a daytime thing?

Hope things are good with you, mate......yeah, it kicks off at 4pm and finishes at 9pm.

Here tis -

http://www.myspace.com/royalclaytonsrestaurante

I could set up a large trading space around the pool table area....if anyone's interested.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    do you guys want me to ask them about it? right now me and jeffie are only doing sundays once a month. i could ask them perhaps if we could do another sunday type afternoon thingie on a different sunday. the folks at mandrake have always been extremely nice and accomodating to us, both me and jeffie are so thankful for that. so as long as we keep a good vibe going, i dont have a problem with it...

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    do you guys want me to ask them about it? right now me and jeffie are only doing sundays once a month. i could ask them perhaps if we could do another sunday type afternoon thingie on a different sunday. the folks at mandrake have always been extremely nice and accomodating to us, both me and jeffie are so thankful for that. so as long as we keep a good vibe going, i dont have a problem with it...

....and as an option, we're still doing a weekly Sunday at the Claytons spot....easy parking, food, plasma screens, pool table, plenty of beer and I know the owner would reserve a large space, no problem.

Easy to sort out for me....or if you'd rather roll with the Mandrake option, then hit up shiggy.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    ....and as an option, we're still doing a weekly Sunday at the Claytons spot....easy parking, food, plasma screens, pool table, plenty of beer and I know the owner would reserve a large space, no problem.

That place would be perfect for a record swap - lotsa lighting & tablespace, plus great food. Dunno if the location is convenient though... especially since the last time I tried going there, due to bad directions I ended up

I'm good with Claytons, no doubt.

My suggestion would be: Noon-2pm, TRADES ONLY.
    2-4pm, get your sales on.

if that's not enough time, then maybe we could move up the trades only portion to 10am - Noon and do sales from Noon to whenever.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I'm good with Claytons, no doubt.

if that's not enough time, then maybe we could move up the trades only portion to 10am - Noon and do sales from Noon to whenever.

I second this

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

I'll only have sway on the venue from 4pm onwards though...the music we play is kept to a minimum volume, and it's a definite social affair, rather than a dance. So timings from 4 onwards won't be a problem.....if this takes off at the Claytons though, I'll need a rough handle on the size of the 'event' ie each strutter brings one sack of records, or are we looking at multi-boxes per head. If the latter, I'll need to check with the owner asap.

I'll only have sway on the venue from 4pm onwards though...the music we play is kept to a minimum volume, and it's a definite social affair, rather than a dance. So timings from 4 onwards won't be a problem.....if this takes off at the Claytons though, I'll need a rough handle on the size of the 'event' ie each strutter brings one sack of records, or are we looking at multi-boxes per head. If the latter, I'll need to check with the owner asap.

Hmm...do you think Clayton's would mind if we came through earlier? 4pm on, I would think, makes it a bit more awkward b/c it bleeds into dinner time.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Hmm...do you think Clayton's would mind if we came through earlier? 4pm on, I would think, makes it a bit more awkward b/c it bleeds into dinner time.

I can see if they'll give us an earlier start, sure....but would that be a serious issue? Heads wouldn't be prepared to stop out because it's dinner time?? Seriously?

I can see if they'll give us an earlier start, sure....but would that be a serious issue? Heads wouldn't be prepared to stop out because it's dinner time?? Seriously?

Strutters with families that they need to be home for dinner with?

Yeah man. Not like I can't get a pass for the eve but personally, earlier in the day would make shit a LOT simpler for folks like me.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    partial to mandrake
    very chill
    familiar to a bunch of strutters alreawdy
    good eats and drinks
    and guzzo - you don't get much more central than la cienega right off the 10

shig, you think they'd be willing to open up earlier if you asked in a nice way?
    last sunday was great by the way, thanks again for hooking it up

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    partial to mandrake
    very chill
    good eats and drinks
    and guzzo - you don't get much more central than la cienega right off the 10

shig, you think they'd be willing to open up earlier if you asked in a nice way?
    last sunday was great by the way, thanks again for hooking it up

Im down, what weekend we talmbout?
    Don't forget the San Diego record show is coming up on July 28th down here and it should be awesome, maybe you should coordinate around that date? Holleur at AlGarth freals.

-M

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    partial to mandrake

Haha - that's true. Unlike any venue I've played in LA

The offer of the Clayton's is on the table, but I'll need to get a pretty firm yes though, before I start screwing around with timescales and reserving our own area with the owner.

Knock some heads and lemme know.

In terms of record size, I don't think anyone should bring anything more than a bag of LPs and 45s, tops. This is NOT meant to be "unload all my dollar bin" joints but rather, "I have some heatrocks I don't need/want and would like to see if I can swap 'em out".

Let me make this proposal:

Let's do this first one at Mandrake Bar in Culver City on Sunday, June 22, starting at 2pm (which is when Shig kicks off). Personally, I don't think we necessarily need to get permission but I can ask Justin (or Shig can) to see if he's cool with it.

And then, if that works out ok, let's set up a second date in August, about a month later, at Belson's gig.

That way, if people can't make the first b/c of the timing/distance, Belson's would offer an alternative and likewise, people who'd have a harder time making his gig (i.e. moi) can roll through to the first one.

I'd also add:

I don't have a problem with opening this up to non-Strutters BUT this is not meant to be a record sale writ large. If we're going that route, we should properly rent a space or have someone host or whatever. The "sale" portion is meant more to be for situations where someone has a record they can't find a good trade for but are still willing to accept cash rather than, "invite everyone to come and buy records."

Ideally, the "swap" portion is what would really go down. At least in theory.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I would come down for this.