-

Comments

• DJ_ObelixDJ_Obelix 55 Posts
    folks who strictly listen to drum & bass seem a little scheisty or mentally imbalanced

D&B = lots and lots of drugs

its definitely a time and place thing for me and that is usually a car going down the motorway at 5am!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I'm most surprised that people actually know people who are into drum and bass.

I know a lot of people in general

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Unfortunately, very few people on here have a positive experience with contemporary drum and bass.
    Maybe it??s the exception, but regarding Berlin it??s like that:

- a couple of successful, regular D&B club nights
    - differentz styles available ("liquid funk", paradox live, regular metalheadz night, jungle special...)
    - friendly open-minded people male AND (!) female
    - little rave/clownstep d&b
    - "usual" level of clubbing related drug abuse

Other cities have a more rave oriented scene with drug addicts and weirdos as described above. However, the postings in this thread and previous threads tell me that something went completely wrong with D&B in the US.

I am not a huge fan of D&B anymore, but this narrow-minded D&B bashing is really

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Unfortunately, very few people on here have a positive experience with contemporary drum and bass [...] the postings in this thread and previous threads tell me that something went completely wrong with D&B in the US[/b].
    Are you only referring to contemporary DnB? I didn't think jungle ever really took off over there either...
    Given the obvious connection between early (i.e. 'good') DnB, or Jungle, and reggae, and the fact that reggae, unless I'm very much mistaken, also took a long time for America to 'get', is there a parallel, or would that be clutching at straws?

Both rely on a sub-culture of soundsystems and presentation which may well have just seemed superfluous to the US when it already had a long-standing and highly developed black-music culture of it's own. Jungle was successful in Canada, even in Jamaica - how was the early stuff received in the US?

• mumbosaucemumbosauce 480 Posts
    Unfortunately, very few people on here have a positive experience with contemporary drum and bass.
    Maybe it??s the exception, but regarding Berlin it??s like that:

- a couple of successful, regular D&B club nights
    - differentz styles available ("liquid funk", paradox live, regular metalheadz night, jungle special...)
    - friendly open-minded people male AND (!) female
    - little rave/clownstep d&b
    - "usual" level of clubbing related drug abuse

Other cities have a more rave oriented scene with drug addicts and weirdos as described above. However, the postings in this thread and previous threads tell me that something went completely wrong with D&B in the US.

I am not a huge fan of D&B anymore, but this narrow-minded D&B bashing is really

yeah people are getting the rave culture mixed up with the Drum and Bass culture. If anything the drugs of choice for DnB heads is weed and alcohol. You go to a DnB club you are not going to find a ton of cracked out e-tars laying on the floor sweating and rubbing all over each other like you do at raves.

The DnB i primarily listen to is the more soulful stuff and that definately brings out the ladys and chill people. If interested check out some Marcus Intallex & ST Files, Calibre, High Contrast, Klute, Marky & XRS, Martyn and other artists who are putting out more of the progressive soulful drum and bass.

If interested or bored check out www.breaksblog.biz first mix is pretty dope.

• lord234lord234 236 Posts
    what about Goldie?? is that jungle or d'n'b or what? man i'm not familiar with these genres, but i know that he was an infamous writer in the 80's, a true b-boy.

what about Goldie?? is that jungle or d'n'b or what? man i'm not familiar with these genres, but i know that he was an infamous writer in the 80's, a true b-boy.

Goldie, and other DnB artists, are not divided between the genre's of jungle & DnB. Jungle, unfortunately to some, evolved into DnB, and there are almost no producers around today that can be said to be still making jungle (this means that you could still call yourself a jungle DJ if you're playing oldskool though).

Goldie started making jungle (as part of Rufige Kru if I remember), but would now be called a DnB producer/DJ.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    The Nubian Mindz stuff from that early 90's era was also better than the average.

IIRC when I was clubbing to this stuff as a nipper, the D&B scene seemed to evolve from the Prodigy/Aphex Twin sound (speeded up breakbeats which were a staple of the rave scene) when more hip-hop, non-rave folk like Goldie and the Moving Shadow acts took the sound in more experiemental, darker direction. Film samples and the like.

Then later you got the MCs and Aya Napa, "Flying High" scene out of that. 2-Step and Speed Garage. The crowd at most of the nights I went to were actively involved in buying or making the music themselves. Just about everyone was DJ or making beats. Not many "spectators" wandering in off the street.

I imagine the US clubs are a fair bit bigger and so that kind of crowd wouldn't "own" the music in the same way - not when Hip Hop is so universally pervasive. Just a guess?

I got too old, jazzy and for it after that.

I mainly got into it at (small-ish) raves and free parties. The local soundsystem (owned & run by a band called Makating) played a lot of good ragga jungle, mixing dancehall and roots into their sets. The mixing was far from the seamless sets that you can buy on CD nowaways (Absolute Jungle classics mixed by DJ Hype etc etc), with frequent rewinds, teases, big-ups and shout-outs running between each track, but the jungle they played was always the highlight and got the best reaction as it exploded well-known riddims into something new. Ecstacy and glow-sticks this was not. Clouds of ganja smoke, lots of booze, lots and lots of bass, lots of girls; dance hall with the butts wiggling at twice the speed.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Fuck harpists and bassoon players, too. Dickheads.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    d'n'b just don't have (and probably will never have) a Timbaland or Pharrel Williams.

If dnb has a Timbaland, it would be Pendulum. They're definitely the remix hoes of the genre.

DnB has its good and bad like any other style. If you dig past the mainstream stuff, there is quality music. Strutters should check for drumfunk styles from cats like Paradox and Fracture & Neptune. These heads are straight up crate diggers and have a lot of love for the same drum breaks and sound libraries discussed regularly around here.

• Options

I'd blap a harpist in a SECOND.

I used to sweat this one real hard and thought I had the chance to live every man's dream of sharing a bed with a woman and a harp, but I couldn't get the angle. Plus she was incredibly harpcentric, like there was nothing else to do but chill and play the harp. I'm trying to cook a burger and she wants to accompany me with harp music from inside her house. It was comical in it's ridiculousness.

• ChappuhChappuh 53 Posts
    d'n'b just don't have (and probably will never have) a Timbaland or Pharrel Williams.

If dnb has a Timbaland, it would be Pendulum. They're definitely the remix hoes of the genre.

DnB has its good and bad like any other style. If you dig past the mainstream stuff, there is quality music. Strutters should check for drumfunk styles from cats like Paradox and Fracture & Neptune. These heads are straight up crate diggers and have a lot of love for the same drum breaks and sound libraries discussed regularly around here.

werd.

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    what I hate about drum and bass fans is that they always want to prove to you how good it is.

• genomgenom 19 Posts
    pendulum is the only DnB i can really get down with.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I hate styles of music that are just slight modifications of other shit that get branded as their own genre. Usually the folks who are ga ga about these styles of musics know nothing about music and think their shit is mind blowing and nothing like it has ever been done. It was funny to play out "hard headed woman" 6 or 7 years ago and the ball-bearing necklace dudes just going "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?"

• I hate styles of music that are just slight modifications of other shit that get branded as their own genre. Usually the folks who are ga ga about these styles of musics know nothing about music and think their shit is mind blowing and nothing like it has ever been done. It was funny to play out "hard headed woman" 6 or 7 years ago and the ball-bearing necklace dudes just going "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?"

Another "Genre" like that is "Minimal"
    My good god, that word alone. I really hate it. Tickles my agressiveness inside for some reason. Like women who tease you?

• JiggamofoJiggamofo 42 Posts

I used to really like M.I.S.T. (Intalex ST files collabs) and the handfull of tracks that actually would go somewhere. The scene is pretty funny, some of the best smokes I've had were listening in on d&b headz play win ben stein's money type trivia shit outside of parties. Love the thread, but it should've been "I hate people who are into Happy Hardcore and Nu NRG"

• what about Goldie?? is that jungle or d'n'b or what? man i'm not familiar with these genres, but i know that he was an infamous writer in the 80's, a true b-boy.

Goldie, and other DnB artists, are not divided between the genre's of jungle & DnB. Jungle, unfortunately to some, evolved into DnB, and there are almost no producers around today that can be said to be still making jungle (this means that you could still call yourself a jungle DJ if you're playing oldskool though).

Goldie started making jungle (as part of Rufige Kru if I remember), but would now be called a DnB producer/DJ.

Jungle Lives!!
    http://www.krinjah.com/mp3links.html

• jonblackjonblack 55 Posts
    I was going to write a nice long post about some of the ins and outs of the drum n bass scene at the moment, including some of the reasons it???s not looking so healthy to outsiders, how the proliferation of subgenres is kinda watering interest down, how club attendance appears to be down, but probably isnt, as there is now more club nights/gigs than ever, but a lower ratio of punters and a division of punters/club nights due to the aforementioned subgenre spurt, about how there is tonnes of great drum n bass being made at the moment, that its better than at any other time in the 14-15 years that I have been involved with it, but that the number of internet only mp3 labels and P&D deals going on is making it too easy for bad music to get out, making the good stuff a lot harder to find compared to say 10 years ago when it ALL seemed to good. I would have talked about how the scene has opened up worldwide and apps like AIM have made location a non issue, letting artists from all over the world get involved in a scene that was (as far as producers went) an almost totally UK/London thing, letting producers from the US, brazil, new zealand, australia, norway and nearly everywhere else in the world get releases on formative labels and build worldwide fan bases allowing them to tour the world playing music that is a very small niche in the music world, I would have talked about how the small amount of crossover success that drum n bass has had may not have been the best thing for it, as it brought people to the clubs that don???t have a real love for the music, which is ok, but the flood of non ???headz??? in some clubs seems to have caused a shift in some peoples production style, seeing some formerly great producers making overly simple, paint by numbers tracks designed for pilled up 18 year olds, and that this shift in the demographic is painting some more thoughtful, non dancefloor artists into a corner of limited sales, less bookings and more reason to produce outside of drum n bass. And I would have mentioned that the sound design/experimental aspect of drum n bass is stronger than just about any other genre that I can think of, and that on the whole drum n bass is one of the most forward thinking genres about, and that some producers are pushing their equipment and sounds harder than ever in an effort to make true ???future music???, and are 100% engaged in actively evolving the sound and not letting it stagnate.
    But I dont think i can be bothered.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    haha. yeah, and who's this busta trying to do dnb?

kidgusto_clapping_song_320.mp3

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I've been playing the snippet a while back (about 2 minutes long?), just looping it in Seratoe. I actually played it out this past Saturday & Sunday.

And I would have mentioned that the sound design/experimental aspect of drum n bass is stronger than just about any other genre that I can think of, and that on the whole drum n bass is one of the most forward thinking genres about, and that some producers are pushing their equipment and sounds harder than ever in an effort to make true ???future music???, and are 100% engaged in actively evolving the sound and not letting it stagnate.

I agree with that, although the "future music" approach somehow lost its touch after, let??s say, 98.
    But I am still impressed how much the quality of production has evolved and how people flipped and chopped different samples from the early 90s onwards. I miss this level of creativity in other genres, especially Hip-Hop.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I've been playing the snippet a while back (about 2 minutes long?), just looping it in Seratoe. I actually played it out this past Saturday & Sunday.

it's a good thing you have the full track now.
    enjoy.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts

I'd blap a harpist in a SECOND.

I used to sweat this one real hard and thought I had the chance to live every man's dream of sharing a bed with a woman and a harp, but I couldn't get the angle. Plus she was incredibly harpcentric, like there was nothing else to do but chill and play the harp. I'm trying to cook a burger and she wants to accompany me with harp music from inside her house. It was comical in it's ridiculousness.

You know, now that I think about it, harpists are usually attractive women. I can't think of any male harp players other than Robert Maxwell.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    I meant to type, "...the snipped you posted a while back..."

But anyway, CLAP! CLAP![/b]

any male harp players other than Robert Maxwell.

Jonny Teupen