Curtis Mayfield Super Geek Question being asked

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
hopefully someone on the board knows the answer to this. I need it for research purposesWhat is the exact release date for "Something To Believe In"?I've heard it as June 1980, but I'd like to know the datethanks in advance

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I need it for research purposes

LOL. Does that make it even MORE serious?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I need it for research purposes

LOL. Does that make it even MORE serious?

incredibly

lives hang in the balance

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    hopefully someone on the board knows the answer to this. I need it for research purposes

What is the exact release date for "Something To Believe In"?

I've heard it as June 1980, but I'd like to know the date

thanks in advance

That sounds about right. Dunno exact date myself, but it entered the Billboard album charts in July of 1980.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    hopefully someone on the board knows the answer to this. I need it for research purposes

thanks in advance

That sounds about right. Dunno exact date myself, but it entered the Billboard album charts in July of 1980.

is there an internet link to the billboard info?

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    while we are on the subject of 1980 Mayfield does anyone have an Mp3 of
    'Trippin' Out'

its been a minute and I'd really like to hear it again.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    while we are on the subject of 1980 Mayfield does anyone have an Mp3 of
    'Trippin' Out'

its been a minute and I'd really like to hear it again.

AWWWWWWW YEAH!!!!!!

Thank you so much......I love this song!

Great start to my monday!

Thank You DrewNice.

thanks in advance

I don't think so - Billboard, in conjunction with Joel Whitburn, publishes entire books of Billboard chart info (top albums, top Hot 100 singles, top R&B singles, etc.), and I doubt that they're gonna just give away the store like that. However, most libraries (and some bookstores) have the Whitburn/Billboard chart books in the reference section.

BUT - there is an RSO discography on the Both Sides Now website. Click on this and scroll down to 1980:
    http://www.bsnpubs.com/rso/rso.html. As far as the release date of that particular LP, it basically says what I just told you in the previous post...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    now thats legwork,

Thank you

I'm thinking of calling RSO (or whoever owns RSO and asking them for an exact date, wer albums coming out on Tuesdays back then?

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    were albums coming out on Tuesdays back then?

google search seems to think this was a late 80's/90's decision to release albums on Tuesdays.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=115995

I'm thinking of calling RSO (or whoever owns RSO and asking them for an exact date

Last I remember, I think Polygram owned RSO, which went out of business around 1981 or so. Robert Stigwood (who founded RSO) is still living, although I couldn't tell you how to reach him...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

pfffff DUDE there was no internet in 1980!

geez louise....

*eyeroll*

• No real answer found online for this one. Although from what I can see most of his stuff came out first week of the month and by the second week we're reaching top spots on billboard.

July 1, 1975: One of Curtis Mayfield???s most unflinchingly realistic and downbeat message albums, ???There???s No Place Like America Today???, is released.

October 1, 1982: ???Honesty???, Curtis Mayfield???s strongest album in years, appears to positive reviews.

I'm guessing Something To Believe In was released along the same terms the first week of the month maybe?

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Well, the good thing is that if nobody here can figure it out, you can probably make it up because I doubt anybody will be able to prove you wrong.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Wikipedia has it as September 1980. You'd need to call Universal Special Markets if you want an exact date. If this was an RSO-owned master, Universal will own it now.

• http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/discography/index.jsp?pid=5158&aid=11229

If you mess around on here long enough, you might find some kind of info to help, otherwise a phone call somewhere will be needed.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Well, the good thing is that if nobody here can figure it out, you can probably make it up because I doubt anybody will be able to prove you wrong.

I remember once seeing that it came out June 24, 1980; the same day I was born. I've tried to look back over the internets to double check the info but nothing has popped up. Being that it charted in July it may make sense seeing as the 24th was the last Tuesday in June of that year.

anyways I'm on a mission. Stigwoods folks are going to be getting some phone calls in the next few hours

No real answer found online for this one. Although from what I can see most of his stuff came out first week of the month and by the second week we're reaching top spots on billboard.

I don't know 'bout that "top spots" business. By 1980 Curtis' fame was fading, and Something... stiffed out at #128.

June 24, 1980; the same day I was born.

I had a feeling that was what this was about.

Happy Be-Lated Birthday to one of my favorite posters!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Thank you. there was one other reason I was talking about it

Last night Iw was hanging out at my grandmas house and I... well...

• you need to stop posting that

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• congratulations awesome tattoo

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

Co-Sign!!!

good seeing you today at the record show after party. Great catching up. That tat looks 10 times better in person.