??? FIVE CINQ CINCO CINQUE QUINQUE ???

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
????????? Flattery ?????????

1) Got hooked up with an external hard drive from work - now i can mess around with Cool Edit & video editing software.

2) The Power of Soulstrut - Couldn't find the MC5: A True Testimonial bootleg ANYWHERE in San Francisco, Sonathan Paychisel grabs it for me in NYC. so very dude

3) www.getcrafty.com and this book:

4) I usually don't like gimmicky watered down latte lounge covers of rock songs, but I am really feeling this cover of Guns of Brixton

5) I was apathetic about the NBA finals this season, but the last 3 games of the series were fire.

????????? Ass-hattery ?????????

1) I fell wayy off with practicing the guitar and already have forgotten a lot

2) getting stranded in downtown oakland past bart curfew = nightmare

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    quick curiosity question - what kind of guitar(s) do you have again?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i have a strat that my boyfriend gave me, but ideally i would like a fender mustang or a gibson sg

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    GIBSON SG! Very cool. Ask Angus Young....

Photo of Angus Young's many Gibson SG's that he uses while on tour.

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    Bottoms up

1. Dad's not doing too well. They're having a heck of a time getting his blood pressure under control and we just found out when he was in the hospital this weekend that he will need the same surgery he underwent on his ascending aorta to be done on his descending aorta.

2. My marriage is falling apart at the seams after a year. And I mean it's falling way apart to the point of I'm not sure if counseling will help or not. I'm willing to do my part but after 28 years of living, I NOW realize you can't do someone elses part for them.

3. See #1.

4. See #2

5. My life sucks ass in general right now.

FOCUS

1. Hey, if my marriage doesn't work out, at least I:

a: cleaned out Payson and northern AZ of records on my honeymoon

b: can get new roomates

c: can focus more time on hiphop and beatmaking

2. Hey, if my pops doesn't live too much longer, I live with no regrets. These past few months I got to tell him everything I ever wanted to say but didn't have the sack enough to before AND I got to spend QUALITY time with him. I know where he's going when he dies and he lived a life that a lot of people could only dream of having.

3. I got a beat on a soon to be nationally released CD. I'm very excited about that.

4. Have friends who support me through ALL of this storm I call a life.

5. I know I shall get through all this.

This whole damn year is not a good look for me.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Top 5 of the Moment
    1-GA Women
    2-GA Women wearing short skirts
    3-GA Women wearing short shorts
    4-GA Women w/ a lot of "charm" (See Free Appreciation Post)
    5-All of the above

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    sheesh. a heavy 5. mines seem kinda trite in comparison

suavecito
    1. thee midniters show
    2. the LA river
    3. guatemalteca bakery
    4. garduno's chips
    5. ever so slowly making moves

bajito
    1. deaths
    2. walking on a slant and now my arches are killing me
    3. still mildly depressed [but now im at least returning phone calls...sometimes]
    4. cant find my "i only have eyes for you" 45. anywhere.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

5. My life sucks ass in general right now.

This whole damn year is not a good look for me.

Sorry to hear about this shit man. Good luck with your marriage and your dad.

Good
    1. Reading books and magazines. Insane article in newest Vanity Fair about this douchey European banker dude who was murdered by his girlfriend, a former(?) s+m/fetish prostitute. He was found in a full body latex suit, shot four times. Slowed down my book-a-day speed and doing a bit more gentle absorption of The Coast of Akron by Adrienne Miller
    2. I shaved, so now I don't look like a total asshole
    3. Lacoste+pastel
    4. My dad is going to quit his job the beginning of the year. He's been a lawyer for ABC/ESPN about 25 years now and he is real sick of writing contracts for extreme sports. Seeing the X Games from the VIP booth in middle school was the move, though
    6. In Good Company is a killer film

Bad
    1. No structure makes me want to die
    2. My sister Sara's teacher/mentor is actually dying, of cancer. It's been a long time she's been ill now, and they finally said "no more chemo." Sara is back in CT this week helping out lady and her partner get some logistical things together, help around the house. Everyone is, obviously, real bummed
    3. Many of my friends have moved to various places or decided that now is the time they decide to act forty years old and grumpy ie they hate fun unless it's Law and Order or ethnic music

Bonus Good/Bad

At dinner with a friend a while ago, she casually asked me about the "I Saw You" ad I got. I had no idea what she was talking about, and she made some sort of surprised giggle and told me someone had put up an ad identifying me by name and the body of something that read "I like your tamed Jewfro and black plastic glasses. We should chill." So obviously someone who knows my tendancy to overuse the word "chill" but not someone who knows me well enough to know my frames are uber-fancy LA Eyeworks. So I email something back (it's now a week after the ad has run) and say "hello, this is Matt Schnipper, who are you?" and never hear back. A few other people have seen this/I've told them about it, and they keep questioning me about it. My friend Gabriella practically plotzes when I tell her. This is serious! So I send another, more prodding missive, writing of my post-graduation woes and the empty puzzle this ad has left in my life. The author writes back today, about another week later, and three weeks since the ad was placed, and it's a weird, but nice Wicca girl from a bunch of my women's studies classes who I used to see in the computer lab all the time. I don't really want to hang out with her, but now feel as though I should. I was hoping it was maybe the cute girl from the new Lacoste store in Georgetown I talked to for a while. Alas, alack

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    a weird, but nice Wicca girl from a bunch of my women's studies classes who I used to see in the computer lab all the time

EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Bonus Good/Bad

At dinner with a friend a while ago, she casually asked me about the "I Saw You" ad I got. I had no idea what she was talking about, and she made some sort of surprised giggle and told me someone had put up an ad identifying me by name and the body of something that read "I like your tamed Jewfro and black plastic glasses. We should chill." So obviously someone who knows my tendancy to overuse the word "chill" but not someone who knows me well enough to know my frames are uber-fancy LA Eyeworks. So I email something back (it's now a week after the ad has run) and say "hello, this is Matt Schnipper, who are you?" and never hear back. A few other people have seen this/I've told them about it, and they keep questioning me about it. My friend Gabriella practically plotzes when I tell her. This is serious! So I send another, more prodding missive, writing of my post-graduation woes and the empty puzzle this ad has left in my life. The author writes back today, about another week later, and three weeks since the ad was placed, and it's a weird, but nice Wicca girl from a bunch of my women's studies classes who I used to see in the computer lab all the time. I don't really want to hang out with her, but now feel as though I should. I was hoping it was maybe the cute girl from the new Lacoste store in Georgetown I talked to for a while. Alas, alack

Matt, just write her back and say "Wow, glad that's solved! Have a great summer, see ya around!" and leave it at that.

Is Wicca meaning the earth-based witch religion? or is this some geographical reference? If she's a witch I can't see a future for the two of you. Unless we are talking

a weird, but nice Wicca girl from a bunch of my women's studies classes who I used to see in the computer lab all the time

I AM SAYING

Bonus Good/Bad

Matt, just write her back and say "Wow, glad that's solved! Have a great summer, see ya around!" and leave it at that.

No--do not even do this much!

Do not respond!

This sounds like a dangerous and needy person!

A personalized response could be enough to convince her that you are now her boyfriend!

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    1. Poetry Out Loud CD compiliation apparently coming soon cause I found the dude who did them and got AP to buy and sell stock, which got into the hands of a discerning reissue dude.

2. An endless supply of rad records from three months of road tripping to be discovered on a daily basis.

3. New screenplay getting good reviews, the one before that being read by some hot shots.

4. More and more friends being published / released / recognized in their creative fields.

5. And I really cannot emphasize this enough: tan lines.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

get some of dat witch booty son!

I AM SAYING

SHE WILL PUT A SPELL ON YOU, SON!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I AM SAYING

SHE WILL PUT A SPELL ON YOU, SON!

This pic makes me want to wear frilly sleeves and lots of rings. That's a good look.

• YES: Yesterday I might have experienced the best weather humanly imaginable. Absolutely perfect. Sat outside in the park and read, went skating, and BBQed with some friends as these massive orange storm clouds were moving in. I've never seen anything like it before. So awesome.

NO: I've been having zero contact with my ex-girl, but I figured yesterday would be a good time to call and just chat. Her father passed away when she was younger and, it being Father's Day and all, figured a call would be nice. Out of pre-call curiosity, I went to her Friendster page and saw pics of her and some new boyfriend and my heart fucking collapsed. I wasn't ready to see that shit at all.

YES: Black Sabbath "Sabbath Bloddy Sabbath"

YES: The "throwing a hot dog down a hallway" line on Family Guy last night.

YES: An email from my brother: "I peed next to Richie Sambora!"

NO: I have no idea where I'm going to be living or what I'm going to be doing two months from now and it's kinda freaking me out.

YES: In a pre-moving frenzy, I've been selling some crap I don't need. It's not much, but f I can save myself 2 or 3 trips to and from the U-Haul then I'm all for it.

Numerically, the tops win, but on the strength of No #1, the bottoms win.

supposed to be a PM

YES: Black Sabbath "Sabbath Bloddy Sabbath"

dude i totally played this on the jukebox this weekend! mega underappreciated sabbath song

sidenote to schnipper's wiccan romance - they just put a statue up of elizabeth montgomery in salem, ma. how funny/wack is that?

It's the Strut!

1.Meeting a fellow SStrutter, HAZ, and liking him in real life. It would have been awkward if we found each other unbearable/creepy/smelly. Mr. HAZ has a very good sense of humour and is extremely chill and nice.

2.After a little blood-boiling, much sweat and some tears, MoroccoMole???s package finally reached me and there were beautifulwonderful records inside!

3.SweenDog???s surprise ??? I dropped in to see what condition my condition was in and thanks to the package ??? my condition was damn good.

4.Hour of the Wolf by Bergman ??? Saw it on Friday with the K to the L. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would and I???m glad we both laughed at the line ???he is a master of his instrument??? as opposed to just me in a theatre full of stuffies.

5.Pasta sauce with garlic, olive oil, fresh tomatoes, chili peppers, capers and black olives???and glass(es) of Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon.

(I???m only doing positives to increase the transmission of good vibes to pacman and TheeCasualMale.)

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    no doubt............tis appreciated!

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

MoroccoMole???s package finally reached me

AYO!

oh wait. that wouldn't qualify. sorry, I'm 12.

MoroccoMole???s package finally reached me

AYO!

oh wait. that wouldn't qualify. sorry, I'm 12.

it still made me laugh.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    good stuff

1. helping dude get paid off his music after 30yrs... "Didn't I" is being released on a comp in the next few months... if all goes right i might be able to get his three records put out as an EP...

2. Aztec by Gary Jennings - one of my favorite books ever. a fictional chronicle of a mans life to full detail leading up to the Spanish take over of Mexico. the stories, the imagery, and the history has made me dream of that era for the past three days... over 1000 pages but worth ever moment. second time i'm reading it after lending it out to three different homies who had to go and buy their own copies after returning it back to me. go pick it up... JINX74APPROVED!

3. finding the band Natural Impulse... no records but there are reels and pictures to be had. more on that later.

4. sunny days are back after some nasty rain... im a fog city boy to the fullest but the sun is better than the rain.

5. the wife made food for the next week. pot of this delicious filipino stew and a big pot of homemade soup which leads me into...

bad stuff

1. ive been sick for weeks. seen the folks at the hospital and they just say i have a cold. well its been three weeks and im getting worse... what the fuck?!?! i hate being sick because that makes...

2. my bank account isnt where it should be right now. im straight and bills are paid but because of my cold i cant and havent been able to get to my storages or out on the road to dig. that means...

3. i have no good records right now. yeah the same shit ive been selling over the past years but those records bore me. new records keep me excited and keep me active. i had to pass on three collections because i cant drive any distance due to this fucked up cold.

4. some record packages are delayed due to me not being able to get to the post office. i hate laggin on sending pieces but i have a fever of over a 100 and the bowels aint been good to me either...

good outweighs bad but for how long i dont know...

pacman - my heart goes out to you cuz... thats a lot of shit on your plate. keep your head straight and know that you cant control the world... you can only control you and your actions. good luck with these obstacles that im sure you will handle.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    HIGH RISING[/b]

1. Moves Being Made[/b] - Back in the industry again at a slightly higher postiion than before at a slightly better network than before. Been getting calls for work for more prestigious spots and to top it off I finally got to see my name in the credits of a nationally aired series.

2. Relationships[/b] - actually this is more bittersweet but a girl I've known for years and I decided to finally form a relationship and end all this playing around bullshit. However like I said its bittersweet and now a whole new set of problems arise

3. My Brother[/b] - we had a falling out a few years back when dude had some "possible" drug issues. Now years later we are back chilling together and the time away from one another gave us both a new respect for how we view each other.

4. Money in my pocket[/b] - not used to it but starting to like it. I went clothes shopping this weekend and it wasn't at the community thrift.

5. Feeling like I did a good deed[/b] - So yesterday I take my pops out for a Fathers Day breakfast. I usually can't stand being around my parents too long in a social atmosphere so in order to deal with it I got lifted as fuck.

Like every other restarant on Fathers Day there was an incredibly long wait to eat so I decided to take a walk down the streets of covina to pass time. As I was walking I see this elderly lady take a nasty spill, maybe it was cause I was high but it seemed really surreal I almost just walked by cause I couldn't believe this was happening. I walked over to her asked if she was ok and she told me she needed help up and that she was feeling numb. I told her hold on I'm going to call 911 but she was insistant that I don't so I helped her up. While lifting her a nice couple came by and helped out as well.

Once all was cool I started walking back to the restaurant covered in old lady blood on my arms face and shirt. Ended up eating inside the restuarant in a wifebeater, grubbed like crazy cause I was definitly havings some munchies, and dropped my credit card at the end of the meal like a baller. Shit was nice

LOW DROPPING[/b]

1. Woman Drama[/b] - With a relationship comes some serious shit. Would love to be able to type about it here but for now I'll keep this stuff in my journal and the ears of good friends. Alls I can say is I'm going through a little something serious.

2. Friend not looking well[/b] - and when my friends aren't looking well I'm not feeling well

3. Fake ass friends[/b] - some folks appear to be very genuine and real to you. Then they show themselves to be true bitches.

4. Birthday coming at the end of the week[/b] - Gonna be 25 and still not be a millionaire. I'm behind on my times tables.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    good stuff

1. helping dude get paid off his music after 30yrs... "Didn't I" is being released on a comp in the next few months... if all goes right i might be able to get his three records put out as an EP...

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Reading some of these "Bottom Fives" makes me realize that I have nothing to complain about, so I won't. I'll just leave that as my "Top 1."

The following is unsolicited, I know, but here goes:

J74,

Sorry to hear that you're not well. You seemed okay when I saw you a few weeks ago, but I know how lame it can be when things linger. Lemme know if I can lend a hand.

Pacman,

You seem like a good, sincere person. Just know that 1) bad things happen to good people and 2) things have a way of working out the way that they're supposed to. Tough to keep that in perspective when you're in the thick of it, but it sounds like you have your head on pretty straight if you're able to make statements like this:

I'm willing to do my part but after 28 years of living, I NOW realize you can't do someone elses part for them.

That is a hard lesson to learn and I commend you for having learned it. You're gonna make it through all of this, I have a feeling.

26Hunnerd Kang,

I'm sorry to hear about your Friendster revelation [that's why I'm a big fan of the clean break]. But you're a talented/rad dude who isn't conceited about the facts that he's talented/rad, so you'll be golden.

Audrey,

Don't stop the rock (maintain the rock).

- yourdoggthehogginthefogg

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    1,2,3,4 and 5... My weekend... hip-hop, R&B (modern soul??) and more... The big collection finally made it to the LA area.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Pacman, sory to hear about those low spots in your life, keep your chin up.

Ms Damn, that get crafty site is looking quite white belt.

Ms Damn, that get crafty site is looking quite white belt.

dog i make my own belts and NONEaTHEM are white.

[/defensive mode]