ian mackaye vs ian svenonius

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I dare you.

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Who vs. Who?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I'll be that nerd ... it's spelled Svenonius. And I'll tell you one thing, Svenonius definitely has more hair than MacKaye.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    oops. no wonder i could not find a good picture.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Ok, one for the nerds....even Chris Bald has more hair than MacKaye....

Nation of Ulysses was a really cool band by the way.

OK, which one secretly wishes he would have took that grunge era Geffen offer?

Already two comments about hair. Have we not had this week's baldstrut yet?

Ok, one for the nerds....even Chris Bald has more hair than MacKaye....

But I'll tell you who had less hair ...

• plkbrynplkbryn 159 Posts
    i once hung out with ian mackaye after a fugazi show (ca. steady diet of nothing). i was 15 or 16, he was in his mid-30s -- i was totally starstruck. among other things, we talked about thai restaurants in san antonio, texas, mahavishnu orchesta (he is not a fan of john mclaughlin), and the pronunciation of his last name. he was pretty gracious and indulgent. so ian mackaye.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Svenonius, easy

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts

I'd go with MacKaye. I grew up on Fugazi. Anyone who does it for as long as he has done it without a slight bending of morals gains my utmost respect.

Also, Ian is for the children:

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I've interviewed both. Mackaye is more sincere. Svenonius is full of shit.

I've seen both their bands. Mackaye lectured the audience. Svenonius flirted with the audience.

I've played on a bill w/ Fugazi - they let us use their equipment and Mackaye gave my band a pep talk afterwrads.

I've DJ'd with Svenvonius a couple of times - I let him use my turntables and he took me to an afterparty.

Minor Threat changed my life, NOU/Make-Up/Scene Creamers/Weird War made me smile.

Kind of a draw.

Except Svenonius is more fun at parties.

To wit: "I don't like parties" - I. Mackaye

Except Svenonius is more fun at parties.

To wit: "I don't like parties" - I. Mackaye

That's basically my take on it. It's Sincerity vs. Swagger. The one conversation I've had with Svenonius (he dated a friend of mine last year ... and my band opened for Weird War) revolved around, go figure, the Kinks' haircuts. I doubt Ian MacKaye would ever discuss Ray Davies' hair. Therefore, Svenonius is more fun.

mackaye came to the mingering mike opening. early, of course. walked around slowly taking in the pieces then chatted for a long time with mike and his people.

i think i saw svenonius sitting on the porch at the after, after party.

i admire consistency.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Svenonius has had a hold pile with me since the day I opened my first record store three years ago. He has one now. He will buy them (eventually). He came to my DJ gig last night and said he liked the tunes.

Mackaye visits me regularly as well but never leaves anything on hold. He'll bitch (pleasantly) about my high prices but will buy stuff from time to time. He collects Hendrix bootlegs and had DJed (unprompted) in the shop more than once. When he DJ's he usually plays go-go.

Draw.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    NOU may have the 2nd best record on Dischord(1st being the Faith/Void split)

yeah..I said it...Ian M isnt on the best record of his own label...

dont know either Ian, met MacKaye a long time ago, he was what one would expect...never met the other Ian, but his old bandmate Tim Green is cool as hell..