BBQ Connoisseurs

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I need understanding on the concept of "smoking." I want to try this, but dont get it, cause i've never seen it. i've been told u get wooden chips and put them in foil and put the meat on top?? I want to make ribs, so do i put the ribs on top of the actual foil? or does the foil go on the grill and the ribs are just sitting on the rack above? or is the foil directly on top of the charcoal? i need enlightenment...perhaps an image would aid me.ps: y'all ever tried Root Beer Ribs? so fucking awesome...i made them once, and now i'm gonna step it up and use Brio instead...can't wait. and pre-happy canada day celebrations to my canucks on the board. + =

Comments

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    there are several ways to smoke meat (AYO), but the basic idea is you soak your wood chips in water and place them in a metal pan or foil right on top of your coals (make sure your coals hot and fully ignited), then you cook your meat with your grill closed. i don't know about cooking times and all that off the top of my head, but the slower, the better. they actually make smokers made especially for this, but you can do it other ways.

try to check the show Good Eats, there's a barbecue smoking episode that's pretty informative. i saw an episode where Alton Brown makes a smoker out of some clay pots and an electric single stove top burner, shit looked pretty next level.

• coldcutscoldcuts 388 Posts
    ps: y'all ever tried Root Beer Ribs? so fucking awesome

Enlighten us. Sounds good.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Smoking is one of the most beautiful things a person can do to a piece of meat. Basically, it comes down to lower temperatures, long cooking times, indirect heat (the meat is not directly over the coals), and soaked wood chips giving their smoky flavor. Like most new culinary adventures, I suggest you try a cookbook, How to Grill by Steven Raichlen is a pretty good guide to basic and intermediate techniques. The guy looks like sort of a jerk, but the book actually has a lot really useful basic information.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    thanks for the info GB...

ps: y'all ever tried Root Beer Ribs? so fucking awesome

Enlighten us. Sounds good.

^this is the rub u put on the ribs (put it on a day in advance for best results

and here's the recipe, the sauce is awesome... im gonna add some indian-ify it with some good masala:

thanks for the info,

The guy looks like sort of a jerk...

this cracked me up, shall we have a contest of worst cookbook covers (in the same vein of worst album covers).the more obese and longer and greyer the beer, the doper the recipie...

^if this were a cook book cover i'd buy

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    AlienDN...

You should be aware of the differnt types of wood chips you want to use to infuse a specific flavor to your meat. Hickory,Apple,Mesquite,etc. Theres a handful of types.

I would check out America's Test Kitchen. They be on some geek science shit about BBQing and its techniques. They have a website. Certain woods complement certain meats.

Oh, man, that recipe looks good.

Here's an illustration of what I mean about indirect heat:

This was at the end of smoking a pork shoulder, what you see is a drip pan with coals piled to either side. The pork sat on the grill above the pork shoulder for about 5 hours with the grill at ~300??F, adding about 1/2 cup pre-soaked hickory chips to each side once an hour. As you can see, the drip pan is essential, unless you want a giant grease stain that will never come out on your patio. I pre-rubbed the pork the night before with a basic barbeque rub (mostly paprika, salt, brown sugar, and pepper) and mopped the shoulder with a vinegar mop sauce every hour.

In the end the pork just falls apart in your hands, served on a bun with vinegar slaw:

AlienDN...

You should be aware of the differnt types of wood chips you want to use to infuse a specific flavor to your meat. Hickory,Apple,Mesquite,etc. Theres a handful of types.

I would check out America's Test Kitchen. They be on some geek science shit about BBQing and its techniques. They have a website. Certain woods complement certain meats.

thanks, just read about this...it had my brain boggled, i thought wood was wood. it just got exponentially more interesting. i look forward to spending this summer investigating these techniques accompanied by a bottle of Duvel...actually BBQing with beer is ANOTHER thing i've slept on

My brother copped some jack daniels whiskey barrel wood chips once. They were gooood.

And yeah I forgot to mention that you want to keep the meat as far from the heat as possible but in a way that the smoke will penetrate the meat. Also, soaking the wood chips keeps them from burning too fast and lighting on fire, it allows them to slowly smolder so you get more smoke out of them. The idea is you don't want them to burn too fast or else you won't get as much smoke flavor in the meat.

BBQing with beer is ANOTHER thing i've slept on

Beer can chicken! It's fairly old hat in BBQ circles by now, but it really is a nice way to roast a chicken (the inside is cooked by the steam so it can be really even). Don't use hickory, though, use milder smoking chips, apple or alder.

Beer can chicken! It's fairly old hat in BBQ circles by now, but it really is a nice way to roast a chicken (the inside is cooked by the steam so it can be really even). Don't use hickory, though, use milder smoking chips, apple or alder.

oh hells yes. beercan chicken is the shit! just make sure you empty out (uh, drink) about half of the can of beer before you drop your bird on there. Whoever thought this up deserves some props. simple and so effective!

sweet!

btw, is that chicken raising the roof?

• BlackmarksBlackmarks 155 Posts
    Bar-B-Que means slow smoking meat using indirect heat produced by burning wood.

anything that you can come up with to do on a grill is just a way of getting around using an actual smoker to smoke meat.

a true smoker will burn wood in a firebox, chimny that into the chamber in which the meat is held, and have a chimeny out of that. temperature is controlled using air flow via vents in the firebox and flues on the chimeny.

At my BBQ restaurant i use cord wood, split to about 4-5 inch sections 18-20 inches long. I use Apple, Mesquite, and pecan. with pork and chicken i go heavy on the apple wood, on beef i go heavy on mesquite and pecan.

I dry rub my meats for at least 24 hours ahead of time (meaning i sprinkle them with our mixture of sugars, salt, spices, etc., never actually rubbing the meat as to not clog the pores). Then simply place the meats in my smoker at a low temperature (generally 175-185 degrees F) until they are done. Ribs (pork baby backs) go for about 7 hours, Beef Ribs go for about that too, Chickens are about 5 hours whole, less pieced out. Brisket and Pork Shoulders for pulled pork are going at least 1.25 hours per pound, meaning a full brisket will go often 15 hours.)

Pork will sweat two to three times during the smoking process, with the juices coming to the surface, absorbing the rub and then soaking back in. With Pork Shoulders and Briskets you want to place them in the smoking chamber with the fat cap up so that it has a chance to melt down into the cut of meat keeping it moist.

I serve my meats with the sauce on the side so folks can taste the quality of our smoking process. why take the time to slow smoke meat just to cover the flavors up with a strong flavored sauce.

i hope this helps.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

this thread is making me hungry.

i may have to hit up everett and jones after work tommorrow.

Blackmarks: PM me the location of your shop, you had me at cord wood.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    the thing with smoking is that is takes patience and constant monitoring. it's a long slow process and you have to continually check your source of smoke/heat and keep all variables in respective balance. this takes practice and time. it gets easier once you establish a system and dial it in.
    for larger cuts of meat like brisket i often braise them first, and them finish them with smoke. there are all kinds of set ups you can rig up to smoke things...but the general idea is to generate and trap smoke without exposing the food item to direct heat. when i smoke fish, often i'll get some wood chips smoldering and then place the fish on a bed of ice in a perforated pan above the wood chips. the ice cools the smoke and as it melts it slowly drips onto the wood chips keeping them burning at a slow even rate. but the point is you need to play around and see what works.
    for a home setup, having a blowtorch on hand to rekindle your woodchips is priceless.

one thing not mentioned is that you never want to smoke something with freshly lit wood chips. the initial smoke is always acrid and harsh and will impart a strongly bitter flavor to your protein. let them burn for a while and smolder as you would charcoal.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

Blackmarks:

This wouldn't happen to be that new joint on 15th & prescott would it?

I've read some reviews of that spot and its near my house so I'm looking to take a test drive. Sounds like you know, you know?

• BlackmarksBlackmarks 155 Posts

Blackmarks:

This wouldn't happen to be that new joint on 15th & prescott would it?

I've read some reviews of that spot and its near my house so I'm looking to take a test drive. Sounds like you know, you know?

Naw, that's podnas or whatever, i wasnt impressed with his steez at all.

i'm up on hayden island. it's called boomers burgers and bbq across from
    where target and office depot is. next to original joes and vitamin shoppe.

but yeah, i know, and my bbq is good. ask dr. wu, he rolled through last week or
    so.

~blaine

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

anything that you can come up with to do on a grill is just a way of getting around using an actual smoker to smoke meat.

a true smoker will burn wood in a firebox, chimny that into the chamber in which the meat is held, and have a chimeny out of that. temperature is controlled using air flow via vents in the firebox and flues on the chimeny.

At my BBQ restaurant i use cord wood, split to about 4-5 inch sections 18-20 inches long. I use Apple, Mesquite, and pecan. with pork and chicken i go heavy on the apple wood, on beef i go heavy on mesquite and pecan.

I dry rub my meats for at least 24 hours ahead of time (meaning i sprinkle them with our mixture of sugars, salt, spices, etc., never actually rubbing the meat as to not clog the pores). Then simply place the meats in my smoker at a low temperature (generally 175-185 degrees F) until they are done. Ribs (pork baby backs) go for about 7 hours, Beef Ribs go for about that too, Chickens are about 5 hours whole, less pieced out. Brisket and Pork Shoulders for pulled pork are going at least 1.25 hours per pound, meaning a full brisket will go often 15 hours.)

Pork will sweat two to three times during the smoking process, with the juices coming to the surface, absorbing the rub and then soaking back in. With Pork Shoulders and Briskets you want to place them in the smoking chamber with the fat cap up so that it has a chance to melt down into the cut of meat keeping it moist.

I serve my meats with the sauce on the side so folks can taste the quality of our smoking process. why take the time to slow smoke meat just to cover the flavors up with a strong flavored sauce.

i hope this helps.

I have been to his joint and it is certified, believe that. Plus, holmes is good company. Do not sleep PDX BBQ fiends.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

i hope this helps.

Goddamn this post made me hungry for some smoked ribs.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    cool, looking forward to given it a try. sounds very good. thanks

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    ps: y'all ever tried Root Beer Ribs? so fucking awesome...i made them once, and now i'm gonna step it up and use Brio instead...can't wait. and pre-happy canada day celebrations to my canucks on the board.

+

=

I haven't heard of Root Beer Ribs, nor Brio. My sister introduced me to a "Coca-Cola Pot Roast" she heard about through her ex (apparently his family are obsessive Coke freaks) and I didn't know if it would be good. But I'm all for trying some kind of soda in some kind of dish at least once (Sprite cake, anyone?) and to be honest, it was actually good. It gave the pot roast a bit of a sweetness, but not to the point where it became pot roast cotton candy.

I had always wanted to know more about meat rubs ( ) after watching enough programs where they used them. I went to a sporting store last year with loads of outdoor cooking gear and decided to take a chance on a honey mesquite rub ("Hive Uprising") made by Reveo. I didn't know this until just now, but I guess Reveo are known for their "meat tumblers":

I had wanted to get the teriyaki rub, but not wanting to take that much of a chance, I went for the honey mesquite, which (for you fellow kama'aina) would be similar to using kiawe, and it was really good.

Now I'll have to look up this Brio.

EDIT:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinotto

• igboigbo 44 Posts
    You also want to try varying up the wood/chips you use to the type of meat. I personally found mesquite to be way to strong of a smoke for chicken, but for pork butt or shoulder is banging. I have been using apple wood for a while now for chicken and it gives a really nice sweet mild smoke to the bird.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I'm smoking a rack Saturday. I use the the smoking procedure described throughout this thread.. I rub a little bit of sugar on the meat before cooking. My sauce is strictly Eastern NC. Very simple concoction of apple cider vinegar/hot pepper/salt/[censored]. Pictures to follow.

massive

yeah a grill isn't a great way to smoke but if it's all you got, it can be converted into a smoking mechanism. the clay pot method i saw on good eats looked pretty serious though, and cheap to make. I think i'm going to have to try that one day.

also, huge cosign on sauce on the side! dry rubs are the way to go. I don't eat any good barbecue with sauce at all, it defeats the purpose. well smoked meat should taste perfect on its own. i wish i lived somewhere that I could have a smoker (i.e. not an apartment). luckily, my brother does and he loves to barbecue in the summer. barbecue (yes, completely different from grilling) is some of the best food ever when done right. pulled pork is the shit. i love brisket too. i think i have to go grab a chopped brisket sandwich for lunch today.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    THE BEST BBQ sauce EVAR...really, there is no greater
    G.O.A.T.
    http://www.dancingpigs.com/

BBQ pizzas? anyone with experience? im sure this would taste fucking amazing...i was thinking of using naans as a crust...you cannot, and i repeat, CANNOT fuck with naans on bbq.

how awesome does this look

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    BBQ pizzas? anyone with experience? im sure this would taste fucking amazing...i was thinking of using naans as a crust...you cannot, and i repeat, CANNOT fuck with naans on bbq.

Do u mean BBQ Pizza = Grilled bread + Grilled Vegetables + Grilled tomato sauce?

Or BBQ meat on a regular slice?

• sergserg 682 Posts
    AlienDN...

In the last issue of their magazine they got bbq ribs and have a pretty good article on how to convert your grill to a smoker. I haven't tried it yet but I've been craving some bbq lately. my problem is I only have a 14" grill and a balcony on the 3rd floor so shit gets mad windy.

after seeing thoughs pulled pork sandwiches I'm willing to attempt it with my shitty little grill.

Do u mean BBQ Pizza = Grilled bread + Grilled Vegetables + Grilled tomato sauce?

Or BBQ meat on a regular slice?

the first part. grilling all the items on the grill. i've done it with naan, but never with cheese and regular pizza topings.