~~~"Hipster" DJ Ethics Conversation~~~

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    people in this thread are trying to deny the simple basics that:

A: When people go out to a club and drink, it loosens them up for smoking. They're called social smokers. So yes, it does go hand in hand with clubs.

YES

B. If Walmart, Camel, fucking SUV companies came to you with a multi million dollar contract, everyone's ass here would smile big, and dance around like little spider monkeys.

NO. some people do put their morals above money.

thats the easy answer when you're not staring at the check in your name.

or, like most people, you weight the advantages and disadvantages against yr own ethical code and decide whether or not to take the money based on the reality of yr situation, rather than saying "Yo i would do anything for money!" vs. "I will never take a dime from anyone"

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    times are changing and yr not allowed to smoke in clubs any more in many places - therefore i don't see that club culture and smoking will be as inextricably linked as a lot of you seem to think for very long.

it's not being in a club that makes people want to smoke, it's the consumption of alcohol. i will echo the previous sentiment that banning smoking inside of the club is not going to stop people from smoking while they are partying. they'll just go outside. it is linked and will always be linked until they stop serving alcohol at the club.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

i never made any claims about whether or not people like to 'go out' and smoke
    i just said that folks can't smoke in clubs! so smoking and clubs do not go 'hand in hand' any more, at least in new york, and soon in much of the rest of the country

You can't have sex in a club but sex still goes "hand in hand" with the club experience, right?

I don't believe that is an element of deej's Local Tiesto Experience.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    times are changing and yr not allowed to smoke in clubs any more in many places - therefore i don't see that club culture and smoking will be as inextricably linked as a lot of you seem to think for very long.

it's not being in a club that makes people want to smoke, it's the consumption of alcohol. i will echo the previous sentiment that banning smoking inside of the club is not going to stop people from smoking while they are partying. they'll just go outside. it is linked and will always be linked until they stop serving alcohol at the club.

Alcohol use and cigarette use are linked based on your lazy observations only.

For instance I've been drinking since I was 13 and have been going to clubs since I was 16, yet neither has ever led me to smoke cigarettes.

In fact, going to smoke-filled clubs makes me want to smoke cigarettes even less than normal.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

i never made any claims about whether or not people like to 'go out' and smoke
    i just said that folks can't smoke in clubs! so smoking and clubs do not go 'hand in hand' any more, at least in new york, and soon in much of the rest of the country

You can't have sex in a club but sex still goes "hand in hand" with the club experience, right?

I don't believe that is an element of deej's Local Tiesto Experience.
    where tf does this tiesto thing come from?
    i do enjoy this abstract deej character your mindgarden has created
    at least the shawnna jokes were twisting words i actually said

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    ravenous consumption of marijuana led me to play hackey sack. its scientific yo.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

For instance I've been drinking since I was 13 and have been going to clubs since I was 16

The master of CLUB COMPLIANCE speaks.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

There is a large ethical spectrum here and I'm certainly not trying to push puritanism on clubs and bars. Everyone can draw the lines on this spectrum where they want but appearing in print ads for tobacco companies is hella suspect to me. We're not talking about DJing while some folks hand out cigarettes to 21+ clubgoers, we're talking about appearing as the public face of 'cool' in order to push cancer sticks on the public at large, that is some serious deal-with-the-devil bullshit to me. Cigarettes only go 'hand in hand' with 'club culture' in folks perception BECAUSE of ads like this. Chicken/egg

also LOL at dudes defending 'oxy' because 'i met her once and she was nice'
    no, we're talking about appearing on an ad for a gig sponsored by cancer stick manufacturers.
    also, LOL at insinuating that there is a one-to-one causal relationship between club culture/smoking and advertising. Advertising works because it's an image of something that an audience can or wishes they could relate to, not the other way around.
    also, LOL at your reading comprehension: when i brought up meeting Roxy, it was merely an aside to a point, but to play some really tenuous semantics and say that was my reason for defending her business decision to appear on an ad for a gig she was playing because I met her is ridiculous.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

There is a large ethical spectrum here and I'm certainly not trying to push puritanism on clubs and bars. Everyone can draw the lines on this spectrum where they want but appearing in print ads for tobacco companies is hella suspect to me. We're not talking about DJing while some folks hand out cigarettes to 21+ clubgoers, we're talking about appearing as the public face of 'cool' in order to push cancer sticks on the public at large, that is some serious deal-with-the-devil bullshit to me. Cigarettes only go 'hand in hand' with 'club culture' in folks perception BECAUSE of ads like this. Chicken/egg

also LOL at dudes defending 'oxy' because 'i met her once and she was nice'
    no, we're talking about appearing on an ad for a gig sponsored by cancer stick manufacturers.

also, LOL at insinuating that there is a one-to-one causal relationship between club culture/smoking and advertising. Advertising works because it's an image of something that an audience can or wishes they could relate to, not the other way around.
    But it also reinforces those associations(thus 'chicken/egg')
    the success of cigarette companies is clearly tied to advertising, or they wouldn't USE advertising
    also this was NOT an ad for a gig - as i read that ad, it looks like a full two page magazine spread/ad for camel that appeared AFTER the fact

also, LOL at your reading comprehension: when i brought up meeting Roxy, it was merely an aside to a point, but to play some really tenuous semantics and say that was my reason for defending her business decision to appear on an ad for a gig she was playing because I met her is ridiculous.
    it sounded suspiciously like a 'no one this nice could possibly do anything bad' defense to me but if thats not the case i apologize and retract

• Alcohol use and cigarette use are linked based on your lazy observations only.

Are you serious? One need but walk down Sixth Street on any late Fri or Sat to realize that this is indeed the case.

Ask any smoker that quit when the twinge came back the hardest and I bet most will answer "When drinking".

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

For instance I've been drinking since I was 13 and have been going to clubs since I was 16

The master of CLUB COMPLIANCE speaks.

i was wondering if harvey canal was white or black at age 13.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

As for the idea that it is the additives in cigs that kill, WRONG. Nicotine and other natural components of tobacco cause cancer and lung diseases.

Funny how this cancer research site leaves nicotine out of its list of cancer-causing agents in cigarettes...

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/healthy...als/?a=5441#Tar

Funnier still how this medical news site contains an article titled "Many mistakenly think nicotine causes cancer, rather than the smoke"...

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=33023

Here's a clip for ya...

"People smoke to get the addictive drug, nicotine, but the drug alone does not cause cancer. The delivery system, a cigarette full of hundreds of toxic chemicals that are inhaled along with nicotine, does," said Ms. Reichert. "This misinformation leads many smokers to smoke 'light' cigarettes, thinking they will inhale less nicotine. In reality, smokers tend to smoke more light cigarettes and inhale more deeply to get nicotine from light cigarettes, resulting in a significant amount of harmful chemicals being inhaled."

Here's another article titled "Half Of Smokers Incorrectly Believe Nicotine Causes Cancer"...

http://www.rwjf.org/newsroom/newsreleasesdetail.jsp?id=10325

Got me. Nicotine is the addictive agent. It does not cause cancer. The rest of my statement is true: other natural components of tobacco cause cancer and lung diseases. Your statement that it is additives and not tobacco is still stupid.

http://www.lungsandiego.org/tobacco/adults_hr_cig.asp#nat

Natural Tobacco
    Do not be fooled by "natural tobacco" products that are marketed to teens and college students. They're not healthier. In fact, natural tobacco can be deadlier than average cigarettes.

Unfortunately, for today's youth and young adults, forms of natural tobacco, including bidis, clove cigarettes, cigars, chew/dip tobacco, pipe tobacco and organic cigarettes, are viewed as trendy and perhaps even healthier, despite the real health risks.

"Natural tobacco doesn't have anything to do with being healthier," says Ross Payson, project director for tobacco programs at the Dental Health Foundation. "Natural means it has a small percentage of non-synthetic substances. It's a marketing scam."

Natural tobacco often contains higher concentrations of tar and nicotine, and the smoke has greater levels of toxic agents such as carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, ammonia and carcinogenic hydrocarbons. This not only increases the smoker's risk of developing lung cancer or other diseases, but it also jeopardizes the health of everyone in the room.

"You're still inhaling carbon monoxide and 400 carcinogens and poisons," Payson says.

American Lung Associations in California and other groups, including the Dental Health Foundation and the California Youth Advocacy Network, are implementing new programs and adjusting others to combat the rise in natural tobacco use by teens and college students, and the ultimate disease and premature death it will cause.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

As for the idea that it is the additives in cigs that kill, WRONG. Nicotine and other natural components of tobacco cause cancer and lung diseases.

Funny how this cancer research site leaves nicotine out of its list of cancer-causing agents in cigarettes...

Funnier still how this medical news site contains an article titled "Many mistakenly think nicotine causes cancer, rather than the smoke"...

Here's a clip for ya...

"People smoke to get the addictive drug, nicotine, but the drug alone does not cause cancer. The delivery system, a cigarette full of hundreds of toxic chemicals that are inhaled along with nicotine, does," said Ms. Reichert. "This misinformation leads many smokers to smoke 'light' cigarettes, thinking they will inhale less nicotine. In reality, smokers tend to smoke more light cigarettes and inhale more deeply to get nicotine from light cigarettes, resulting in a significant amount of harmful chemicals being inhaled."

Here's another article titled "Half Of Smokers Incorrectly Believe Nicotine Causes Cancer"...

Got me. Nicotine is the addictive agent. It does not cause cancer. The rest of my statement is true: other natural components of tobacco cause cancer and lung diseases. Your statement that it is additives and not tobacco is still stupid.

Natural Tobacco
    Do not be fooled by "natural tobacco" products that are marketed to teens and college students. They're not healthier. In fact, natural tobacco can be deadlier than average cigarettes.

Unfortunately, for today's youth and young adults, forms of natural tobacco, including bidis, clove cigarettes, cigars, chew/dip tobacco, pipe tobacco and organic cigarettes, are viewed as trendy and perhaps even healthier, despite the real health risks.

"Natural tobacco doesn't have anything to do with being healthier," says Ross Payson, project director for tobacco programs at the Dental Health Foundation. "Natural means it has a small percentage of non-synthetic substances. It's a marketing scam."

Natural tobacco often contains higher concentrations of tar and nicotine, and the smoke has greater levels of toxic agents such as carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, ammonia and carcinogenic hydrocarbons. This not only increases the smoker's risk of developing lung cancer or other diseases, but it also jeopardizes the health of everyone in the room.

"You're still inhaling carbon monoxide and 400 carcinogens and poisons," Payson says.

American Lung Associations in California and other groups, including the Dental Health Foundation and the California Youth Advocacy Network, are implementing new programs and adjusting others to combat the rise in natural tobacco use by teens and college students, and the ultimate disease and premature death it will cause.

uh, i thought the issue was that they used chemicals with the nicotine to make tobacco MORE addictive.

Here's a clip for ya...

Natural Tobacco

Fine...but I wasn't talking about natural as in American Sprits, I was talking natural as in the village shaman grows it, cultivates it, and administers it...often times up your bunghole.

People have been smoking tobacco for milleniums...as medicine.

That being said...again, I never stated that natural tobacco is 100% healthy for you. I only said that commercial alcohol products typically don't contain as many harmful additives as do commercial cigarettes...thus making alcohol a relatively less tainted product.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    As I understand it, with commercial cigarettes it isn't the tabacco (which used to be utilized as medicine) that kills you...it's the pesticides and herbacides and preservatives that do it.

For instance I've been drinking since I was 13 and have been going to clubs since I was 16, yet neither has ever led me to smoke cigarettes.

In fact, going to smoke-filled clubs makes me want to smoke cigarettes even less than normal.

my "own lazy observations" are based on my personal experiences of being a smoker AND a drinker AND going to bars/clubs with many other smoker/drinkers. i didn't say drinking makes non-smokers want to smoke, you seem to have made up this implication in an effort to try and sound smart or talk shit, i'm not sure which. you're an idiot if you don't acknowledge the fact that alcohol makes the average smoker want a cigarette more than normal. but you know, that wouldn't surprise me at this point.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Ask any smoker that quit when the twinge came back the hardest and I bet most will answer "When drinking".

Absolutely. This whole debate about whether clubs/bars and
    smoking go hand-in-hand because you can't smoke inside
    the club is ridiculous. Most "casual" smokers only smoke when
    they are drinking, in social situations AKA at the BAR/CLUB.

I speak from first-hand experience. I was a habitual cigarette
    smoker for over 15 years - I quit around 3-4 years ago, and I
    basically had to cut my alcohol consumption off, too, if I wanted
    to be able to resist smoking. The only cigarettes I have smoked
    in those past 3+ years, which is only 2 or 3, were all in situations
    where I was buzzed and surrounded by friends who were smoking.

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    everytime i have ever played in germany..my eyes are burnt from all of the smoke, and no ventilation.
    im so glad smoking will be banned in europe...mu'fuckas blowin smoke at me while im trying to enjoy a meal...wtf !? that will no longer be part of the culture. thank you.
    as for nyc, i still see heads smoking in clubs...like nothing, and i still light up a joint in certain nyc spots as well. you can dead all of those thought in boston though.

this thread is no longer about hipster djs that cant spin.

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
    What are peoples thoughts on this Camel Cigarette Print Ad Campaign?

Whoever designed this ad is

It's horrible...

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

A: When people go out to a club and drink, it loosens them up for smoking. They're called social smokers. So yes, it does go hand in hand with clubs.

YES

B. If Walmart, Camel, fucking SUV companies came to you with a multi million dollar contract, everyone's ass here would smile big, and dance around like little spider monkeys.

Please to refrain from speaking for me. Just because YOU have no moral objections to anything does not mean others of us don't as well. I have walked away from plenty of checks and jobs alike due to differences in moralities.

my "own lazy observations" are based on my personal experiences of being a smoker AND a drinker AND going to bars/clubs with many other smoker/drinkers. i didn't say drinking makes non-smokers want to smoke, you seem to have made up this implication in an effort to try and sound smart or talk shit, i'm not sure which. you're an idiot if you don't acknowledge the fact that alcohol makes the average smoker want a cigarette more than normal. but you know, that wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Alcohol lowers your inhibitions...to socialize, to dance, to cuss, to argue, to fight, to fuck, and to smoke.

Of course I see that.

But to go as far as saying that to stop people from smoking, we'd first have to stop people from drinking is still apples and oranges to me.

Some people crave a cigarette after a big meal. Should we stop serving food in restaurants in order to curb smoking as well?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

YES

Please to refrain from speaking for me. Just because YOU have no moral objections to anything does not mean others of us don't as well. I have walked away from plenty of checks and jobs alike due to differences in moralities.

You are so principled.

You have shamed us all...

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    indeed. the definition of world for them is strictly limited to LA and Vegas.

haha, that made me chuckle.

Alcohol lowers your inhibitions...to socialize, to dance, to cuss, to argue, to fight, to fuck, and to smoke.

Of course I see that.

But to go as far as saying that to stop people from smoking, we'd first have to stop people from drinking is still apples and oranges to me.

Some people crave a cigarette after a big meal. Should we stop serving food in restaurants in order to curb smoking as well?

You are really good at picking out single words form a sentence and using them in a completely abstracted context in your own little private mind garden!

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

YES

You are so principled.

You have shamed us all...

ha ha, seriously.

I'm sure you've turned down some checks and gigs that you've objected to, but i'm sure it wasn't no multi-million dollar endorsement. Thats what I'm talking about, not some "well, I could pay my rent for a week" check. When you're getting SERIOUS moneys, it's much harder to make a "moral decission."

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

Of course I see that.

You are really good at picking out single words form a sentence and using them in a completely abstracted context in your own little private mind garden!
    Harvey would make an excellent idealistic law student with no real world applicable experience. Take the LSAT, score high!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm sure you've turned down some checks and gigs that you've objected to, but i'm sure it wasn't no multi-million dollar endorsement. Thats what I'm talking about, not some "well, I could pay my rent for a week" check. When you're getting SERIOUS moneys, it's much harder to make a "moral decission."

1) Nobody got "multi-millions" for this campaign. More likely a few grand, at best.

2) No matter how many ways you re-phrase it, at some point you
    need to accept that there ARE people who will turn down huge
    amounts of money for ethical/moral purposes. Your argument that
    there is a big enough check out there to buy anyone's soul does
    nothing but expose the failings of your own principles - or lack
    thereof.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    are people really holding a alcohol vs. tobacco debate on which is the lesser evil?

let me know who wins

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

1) Nobody got "multi-millions" for this campaign. More likely a few grand, at best.

2) No matter how many ways you re-phrase it, at some point you
    need to accept that there ARE people who will turn down huge
    amounts of money for ethical/moral purposes. Your argument that
    there is a big enough check out there to buy anyone's soul does
    nothing but expose the failings of your own principles - or lack
    thereof.

so how much would you sell out for?
    Of course there are some people who would ride for morality. I'm sure though most people would only feel the guilt after the fact.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    no glammed up, just shaken or stirred.

oh and those blond chicks are fucking hilarious. Lolz for days.