~~~"Hipster" DJ Ethics Conversation~~~

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I believe this has been discussed in a previous thread...

about 3-4 years ago i was finishing up my residency in a NY spot and Aoki came over and asked if he could play the after-hours. The owner wanted him to and I was done so I didn't give a shit.
    Needless to say it was a

of EPIC proportions. I've heard that he's improved since then. But still... this gig = bottom of the barrel?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I imagine that folks would draw the line somewhere in terms of endorsements...it's subjective, right? Personally, I've turned down gigs that involved tobacco money (but I'm also not a working DJ so it's not like my rent depends on shit like this) but I can't say that EVERYTHING I do in life doesn't have negative consequences somewhere down the line.

That said, I've never trusted the kind of relativism that goes, "well, if you won't do A but you do B, isn't that hypocritical?" since really, what people are trying to do is backdoor a clause that allows them to do ANYTHING without fear of critique.

If DJs want to take tobacco money for a gig, it's not an innocent choice. Doesn't mean you shouldn't cash the check but own it, at least.
    to me letting yrself get put onto advertisements is a whole nother level of the MORALLY AMBIGUOUS SELLOUT because when you do a 21+ show, its a 21+ show (still suspect cause these companies are basically evil but you can make the 'adults' argument) but when yr talking about advertisements in a magazine you are actually appearing to sell this lifestyle and to me thats just a bad look all the way around. If you don't think teenagers don't look at shit like that yr kidding yrself (not you odub but 'you' generally).

the cigarette industry sucks. endorsing alcohol doesnt bother me but i dont see how people can still defend cigarette companies after all these years and revelations and the huge number of people they've killed

I'm shocked that this is an actual debate.

Alcohol + cigarettes go hand-in-hand with the clurb[/b]--I just can't believe anybody would object to DJs getting some of that cigarette money.

lol busted...you're in new york right?

when's the last time you went to a club homey

Very funny, deej--the world's a lot bigger than New York.

Not to mention the fact that the smoking ban in New York did not suddenly make people non-smokers. I know plenty of people in New York who smoke and the smoking ban certainly did not change that. Now they just smoke outside of the club instead of in it.

The fact of the matter here is this: this post would not exist if the DJs doing it weren't "celebrity DJs." People here don't so much have a problem with the fact that these DJs are DJing for a cigarette company, they resent the fact that they're celebrity DJs DJing for a cigarette company.

And, working DJs, how many times have you DJed at a bar and/or club where there was a cigarette promotion going on where they were handing out free cigarettes? Did you walk out of your gig in protest?

This is such a non-issue.

-e

Superstar deejay Deej regularly refuses to bring his floorshaking techno stylings to venues that permit smoking.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    ... and people are acting like it's Michael Jordan and U2 on the bill. It's not - and I don't know why ANYONE thinks these people wouldn't appear on a bill for death itself if it was hot with their set and paid well.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I imagine that folks would draw the line somewhere in terms of endorsements...it's subjective, right? Personally, I've turned down gigs that involved tobacco money (but I'm also not a working DJ so it's not like my rent depends on shit like this) but I can't say that EVERYTHING I do in life doesn't have negative consequences somewhere down the line.

That said, I've never trusted the kind of relativism that goes, "well, if you won't do A but you do B, isn't that hypocritical?" since really, what people are trying to do is backdoor a clause that allows them to do ANYTHING without fear of critique.

If DJs want to take tobacco money for a gig, it's not an innocent choice. Doesn't mean you shouldn't cash the check but own it, at least.
    to me letting yrself get put onto advertisements is a whole nother level of the MORALLY AMBIGUOUS SELLOUT because when you do a 21+ show, its a 21+ show (still suspect cause these companies are basically evil but you can make the 'adults' argument) but when yr talking about advertisements in a magazine you are actually appearing to sell this lifestyle and to me thats just a bad look all the way around. If you don't think teenagers don't look at shit like that yr kidding yrself (not you odub but 'you' generally).

the cigarette industry sucks. endorsing alcohol doesnt bother me but i dont see how people can still defend cigarette companies after all these years and revelations and the huge number of people they've killed

I'm shocked that this is an actual debate.

Alcohol + cigarettes go hand-in-hand with the clurb[/b]--I just can't believe anybody would object to DJs getting some of that cigarette money.

lol busted...you're in new york right?

when's the last time you went to a club homey

Very funny, deej--the world's a lot bigger than New York.

Not to mention the fact that the smoking ban in New York did not suddenly make people non-smokers. I know plenty of people in New York who smoke and the smoking ban certainly did not change that. Now they just smoke outside of the club instead of in it.

The fact of the matter here is this: this post would not exist if the DJs doing it weren't "celebrity DJs." People here don't so much have a problem with the fact that these DJs are DJing for a cigarette company, they resent the fact that they're celebrity DJs DJing for a cigarette company.

And, working DJs, how many times have you DJed at a bar and/or club where there was a cigarette promotion going on where they were handing out free cigarettes? Did you walk out of your gig in protest?

This is such a non-issue.

-e

I totally disagree.

first off i have no problem w/ celebrity DJs, and considering the amount of time folks spend on this board bitching about 'becky' requests, i would think you guys would be more than happy for douche-magnets like CELEBRITY DJ MOMJEANS to protect yr gigs from music-indifferent celeb gushing.

second, folks smoking outside of the club doesn't sound like going 'hand in hand' with the club to me; it sounds like smoking goes hand in hand with being outdoors.

There is a large ethical spectrum here and I'm certainly not trying to push puritanism on clubs and bars. Everyone can draw the lines on this spectrum where they want but appearing in print ads for tobacco companies is hella suspect to me. We're not talking about DJing while some folks hand out cigarettes to 21+ clubgoers, we're talking about appearing as the public face of 'cool' in order to push cancer sticks on the public at large, that is some serious deal-with-the-devil bullshit to me. Cigarettes only go 'hand in hand' with 'club culture' in folks perception BECAUSE of ads like this. Chicken/egg

also LOL at dudes defending 'oxy' because 'i met her once and she was nice'

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Superstar deejay Deej regularly refuses to bring his floorshaking techno stylings to venues that permit smoking.
    dude, you LIVE in a MAJOR METRO CITY that doesnt allow smoking in clubs
    i know you DONT PARTY but plaese try to keep up with the times

chicago will be smoke free as of january

There is no place for mere sentiment on the frontlines of deej's culture war!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

There is no place for mere sentiment on the frontlines of deej's culture war!
    "I met Hitler once ... seemed decent enough!"
    i'm not saying dont be friends with roxy or dont defend her as a person, but using her kindness as its own defense of appearing in tobacco ads is

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

You can't even smoke in clubs in NYC and LA, so in essence the Camel people are doing a great disservice to the clubs they are canvassing.
    Want to smoke these free cigarettes? Leave the club.

Do you have something resembling a point, deej?

While it is true that I go to the clurb less than I used to, at least I am of sufficient age to be allowed in, and I am telling you that for many adults the pleasures of dranking, smoking and going to the clurb are all intertwined.

first off i have no problem w/ celebrity DJs, and considering the amount of time folks spend on this board bitching about 'becky' requests, i would think you guys would be more than happy for douche-magnets like CELEBRITY DJ MOMJEANS to protect yr gigs from music-indifferent celeb gushing.

I personally don't see it that way. I grew up and learned to DJ in a time when you paid your dues and had to earn the respect of your betters. I know that makes me sound like an old man, but the truth about 'celebrity' DJs is that they make life harder for us 'regular joes' because Beckys go see them at an event, witness them doing something incredibly lame then go out to a club and hassle the DJ to do the same thing 'because Kid Millionaire did it'. Please.
    I'll give respect to ANY DJ who's earnt it, not because People Magazine told me he's the shit.

*EDIT* I just checked. I AM an old man according to the missus.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

While it is true that I go to the clurb less than I used to, at least I am of sufficient age to be allowed in, and I am telling you that for many adults the pleasures of dranking, smoking and going to the clurb are all intertwined.
    i am aware of this, because i actually LIVE in a city where people can still do this
    yr missing my point, which is that these days are over

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

I personally don't see it that way. I grew up and learned to DJ in a time when you paid your dues and had to earn the respect of your betters. I know that makes me sound like an old man, but the truth about 'celebrity' DJs is that they make life harder for us 'regular joes' because Beckys go see them at an event, witness them doing something incredibly lame then go out to a club and hassle the DJ to do the same thing 'because Kid Millionaire did it'. Please.
    I'll give respect to ANY DJ who's earnt it, not because People Magazine told me he's the shit.

i think annoying requests existed before celebrity djs

Along with cockroaches and Twinkies. They'll survive until the end of time...

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts

i am aware of this, because i actually LIVE in a city where people can still do this

sorry but you're wrong. i know a lot of people who like to go out, drink, and smoke cigarettes, even if it's not actually inside the club. yes, they do go together.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Along with cockroaches and Twinkies. They'll survive until the end of time...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

sorry but you're wrong. i know a lot of people who like to go out, drink, and smoke cigarettes, even if it's not actually inside the club. yes, they do go together.
    i never made any claims about whether or not people like to 'go out' and smoke
    i just said that folks can't smoke in clubs! so smoking and clubs do not go 'hand in hand' any more, at least in new york, and soon in much of the rest of the country

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts
    just because you can't smoke inside a club doesn't mean that smoking is not part of club culture.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

i just said that folks can't smoke in clubs! so smoking and clubs do not go 'hand in hand' any more, at least in new york, and soon in much of the rest of the country

ehhh your still talking out of your ass DEEJ. If they didn't go hand in hand most clubs in LA wouldn't have a smoking patio inside of the club (almost all do). They still go hand in hand.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

ehhh your still talking out of your ass DEEJ. If they didn't go hand in hand most clubs in LA wouldn't have a smoking patio inside of the club (almost all do)...

...nor would Camel be marketing to them.

The End.

Typing the word "hipster" is an automatic 5 pager.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

You can't have sex in a club but sex still goes "hand in hand" with the club experience, right?

I'm really not too concerned with arguing about this crap any further but if you think this is "unethical," fine. But please at least criticize Oxy Cottontail's name as well. I mean, it's blatantly obvious to me that she's not concerned with presenting a wholesome, healthy image to the world so I don't see how you can get all up in arms about this. The girl and the parties she promotes promote all sorts of "bad" things. It's not like half-heartedly co-signing Camel cigarettes through DJing these parties and appearing in Ads is somehow contrary to the image she already presents.

-e

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

You can't have sex in a club but sex still goes "hand in hand" with the club experience, right?

I'm really not too concerned with arguing about this crap any further but if you think this is "unethical," fine. But please at least criticize Oxy Cottontail's name as well. I mean, it's blatantly obvious to me that she's not concerned with presenting a wholesome, healthy image to the world so I don't see how you can get all up in arms about this. The girl and the parties she promotes promote all sorts of "bad" things. It's not like half-heartedly co-signing Camel cigarettes through DJing these parties and appearing in Ads is somehow contrary to the image she already presents.

-e
    oh god dudes yr getting all semantic about this shit
    times are changing, i was making a stupid jab at faux rillz being disconnected and obviously i recognize that people still like to smoke when they go out in drink, what a stupid pedantic non-argument!

anyway e it seems like folks DEFENDING this ad are the only ones interested in pointing out hypocrisies, i couldn't give less of a shit about how hypocritical she is or isn't

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

From July 1st, smoking in any public place, workplace or confined area in the UK will get you the gas face and a ??100 fine.

We now return you to this week's edition of the Rillz & Deej show...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

I'm really not too concerned with arguing about this crap any further but if you think this is "unethical," fine.
    lol, caring about stuff

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    people in this thread are trying to deny the simple basics that:

A: When people go out to a club and drink, it loosens them up for smoking. They're called social smokers. So yes, it does go hand in hand with clubs.

B. If Walmart, Camel, fucking SUV companies came to you with a multi million dollar contract, everyone's ass here would smile big, and dance around like little spider monkeys.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

As for the idea that it is the additives in cigs that kill, WRONG. Nicotine and other natural components of tobacco cause cancer and lung diseases.

Funny how this cancer research site leaves nicotine out of its list of cancer-causing agents in cigarettes...

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/healthy...als/?a=5441#Tar

Funnier still how this medical news site contains an article titled "Many mistakenly think nicotine causes cancer, rather than the smoke"...

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=33023

Here's a clip for ya...

"People smoke to get the addictive drug, nicotine, but the drug alone does not cause cancer. The delivery system, a cigarette full of hundreds of toxic chemicals that are inhaled along with nicotine, does," said Ms. Reichert. "This misinformation leads many smokers to smoke 'light' cigarettes, thinking they will inhale less nicotine. In reality, smokers tend to smoke more light cigarettes and inhale more deeply to get nicotine from light cigarettes, resulting in a significant amount of harmful chemicals being inhaled."

Here's another article titled "Half Of Smokers Incorrectly Believe Nicotine Causes Cancer"...

http://www.rwjf.org/newsroom/newsreleasesdetail.jsp?id=10325

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

A: When people go out to a club and drink, it loosens them up for smoking. They're called social smokers. So yes, it does go hand in hand with clubs.

YES

B. If Walmart, Camel, fucking SUV companies came to you with a multi million dollar contract, everyone's ass here would smile big, and dance around like little spider monkeys.

NO. some people do put their morals above money.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

no one disagrees that folks like to go out and smoke while they drink
    no one ever said this wasn't the case
    stop confusing the issue
    my only point in my jab at fauxrillz was 1. fauxrillz is disconnected and 2. times are changing and yr not allowed to smoke in clubs any more in many places - therefore i don't see that club culture and smoking will be as inextricably linked as a lot of you seem to think for very long.

you know people used to be able to smoke in banks? Hospitals? now the association seems ridiculous. The 'inherent' tie to clubs might be a bit closer bcuz of alcohol consumption but the reason we associate smoking with clubs as partly because of ads like the one being discussed

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

If Walmart, Camel, fucking SUV companies came to you with a multi million dollar contract, everyone's ass here would smile big, and dance around like little spider monkeys.

I would do it for Target.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

YES

thats the easy answer when you're not staring at the check in your name.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Camel has been promoting concerts for years.

Their company isn't much more "evil" than, say, the thousands of alcohol companies that perpetuate the club scene in general, or even the petroleum companies that fuel all of our lifestyles.

It's kind of rediculous to bitch about Camel putting out ads for the concerts they throw.

And I don't know about y'all, but no kid I ever met started smoking because they were enticed by an advertisement. Most people I know or have known who started smoking at a young age did so bcause of peer influences, and those peers were, in most cases, the children of smokers. Adults set the example for young people, not print ads.